Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: who has time for a Quicky?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ahycaramba
Happy New Years fellow teener!!!
I was wondering if anyone has gone with the quick release steering wheel. I am replacing my steering wheel with a MOMO racing 3 spoke wheel and I was wondering do you still need the Momo steering wheel adaptor pn#8002 if I am going with a NRG 2.5 quick release?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NRG-STEERING-WHEEL...bsAAOSwzldcyzUQ

Could you post pictures of your set up?
thanks in advance
Al
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(ahycaramba @ Dec 31 2019, 02:52 PM) *

Happy New Years fellow teener!!!
I was wondering if anyone has gone with the quick release steering wheel. I am replacing my steering wheel with a MOMO racing 3 spoke wheel and I was wondering do you still need the Momo steering wheel adaptor pn#8002 if I am going with a NRG 2.5 quick release?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NRG-STEERING-WHEEL...bsAAOSwzldcyzUQ

Could you post pictures of your set up?
thanks in advance
Al

I have quick release; installed it 10 years ago. Really hand when I have to work under the dash.
I'll shoot some pics tomorrow. BTW, Coonfog (screen name) is researching the QR too....
Coondog
Yes Jim I did research your set up and unfortunately that company no longer sells that type of QR. I did contact the peeps at NRG innovations out of Irwindale Calif and as soon as I get some free time in Jan. I will take my 914 to there factory and see if we can put together a set up that works. It’s very important to me to have a working horn.

They were pretty stoked that a 914 market could open up for them. I will keep everyone updated.

FYI...My only reason for wanting a quick release wheel is theft deterrent.
Chi-town
The disconnect bolts to the hub. Companies like NRG offer short hubs to give up the extra distance to fit the disconnect.
ahycaramba
QUOTE(Coondog @ Dec 31 2019, 05:49 PM) *

Yes Jim I did research your set up and unfortunately that company no longer sells that type of QR. I did contact the peeps at NRG innovations out of Irwindale Calif and as soon as I get some free time in Jan. I will take my 914 to there factory and see if we can put together a set up that works. It’s very important to me to have a working horn.

They were pretty stoked that a 914 market could open up for them. I will keep everyone updated.

FYI...My only reason for wanting a quick release wheel is theft deterrent.

Thanks for doing the research Coondog. Can't wait to see if they can come up with something that would work specifically made for the 914. aktion035.gif

Happy New Years
infraredcalvin
Subscribed! Please post results when you receive! Happy New Year!
snakemain
I think mine may be the NRG 2.5. I used the Momo adapter too IIRC. It's been a few years and my car is on the other side of the world. One thing I like about it is that it moves the steering wheel closer to me, and I can see the gauges even though it's a smaller diameter. Sorry for sideways pics...I'm too lazy today.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
alexkirkham
I have a quick release too...

nardi adapter & quick release spacer (from driftworks), MX5 miata special edition wheel (cheaper than anything else and looks nice)...

I'm 6'2" and having the wheel closer to me vastly improves the comfort of the car... can get into first without bashing my knee... (and makes it easier to work on the dash)(and can be removed for security).

alex

Click to view attachment
jim_hoyland
A few pic and a ref: This QR has provisions for the horn.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/group.asp...mpaign=201708-1

Also: http://snapoff.com/racing/
Scroll down the page to Snap Off R100B PCD 6 x 70 Those pictures look like the one I have
Coondog
Update
I am working with Jason Chou with NRG Innovations based out of Irwindale Ca. Please know Jason and NRG are 100% in on making a quick release hub for the 914. To date they have purchased a steering column and are in the process of obtaining a couple steering wheels. Jason gave me a time frame of about 60 days. At that time I will take my car to them for testing.
Can someone educate me on the stock steering wheels not to include the 914-6. Am I correct that a 1970-71-72 steering wheel does not work on later year cars ???
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Coondog @ Jan 22 2020, 12:27 PM) *

Update
I am working with Jason Chou with NRG Innovations based out of Irwindale Ca. Please know Jason and NRG are 100% in on making a quick release hub for the 914. To date they have purchased a steering column and are in the process of obtaining a couple steering wheels. Jason gave me a time frame of about 60 days. At that time I will take my car to them for testing.
Can someone educate me on the stock steering wheels not to include the 914-6. Am I correct that a 1970-71-72 steering wheel does not work on later year cars ???

All of the steering wheels that were put on 914s will interchange across all the years. This includes both 4 and 6 cylinder models.

The difference is in the adapter mounted to the back of the steering wheel. The six does not use one. The 70-72 uses a different one from the 73 and later 4 cylinder cars.

Porsche used the exact same spline count for all of their cars up until they had to add air bags. So you can put everything from a 356 to a 993 steering wheel on your 914. They will all bolt on and work.

Here is a thread on this site that explains it all. Steering wheel thread
mepstein
QUOTE(Coondog @ Jan 22 2020, 01:27 PM) *

Update

Every 914 wheel "works" with every year 914 car. Splines are the same. The only thing that is different and prevents early wheels from being a perfect fit on mid and late cars and vise versa is the base of the early wheel, part number ends in "10" is flat (Porsche style) and the base of the mid 72-75 wheels, part number ends in "11" is chamfered (VW style). Though most people will not notice the difference, fitting the wheel with the correct hub to the correct steering column is important to me.

The plastic bolt on hub on early 70-71 914's is obviously different than 72-76 and has a different horn mechanism.

@coondog
@clayperrine
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.