Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are Amber (Euro) Rear Turnsignals in USA Fixtures DOT Compliant?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Spoke
Just wondering if putting Euro rear lenses on USA fixtures with active sidemarker is USA DOT compliant. The Euro rear lenses have amber turnsignals which should be acceptable. However, the USA fixture has a sidemarker bulb which is red with the US rear lens and amber with the Euro lens.

This sentence was copied from a description of lighting:

"In the United States, the lens of a side marker, made of high impact, translucent plastic, is amber-colored for the front of the vehicle and red for the rear."

And this one:
Effective January 1, 1968, all passenger cars built for sale in the United States were required to display amber lights or reflectors on the sides of front fenders, and red lights or reflectors on the sides of rear quarter panels.

From Washington State Legislature:
RCW 46.37.100
Color of clearance lamps, side marker lamps, backup lamps, and reflectors.
(1) Front clearance lamps and those marker lamps and reflectors mounted on the front or on the side near the front of a vehicle shall display or reflect an amber color.
(2) Rear clearance lamps and those marker lamps and reflectors mounted on the rear or on the sides near the rear of a vehicle shall display or reflect a red color.

The LED boards that I make have amber sidemarker LEDs for amber rear turnsignals. It makes me wonder if the amber sidemarker LEDs should be shut off or constructed with RED LEDs.

Thoughts?

dr914@autoatlanta.com
not back when the car was manufactured. These days most cars have the red amber installed so today they are just fine

QUOTE(Spoke @ Jan 2 2020, 11:48 AM) *

Just wondering if putting Euro rear lenses on USA fixtures with active sidemarker is USA DOT compliant. The Euro rear lenses have amber turnsignals which should be acceptable. However, the USA fixture has a sidemarker bulb which is red with the US rear lens and amber with the Euro lens.

This sentence was copied from a description of lighting:

"In the United States, the lens of a side marker, made of high impact, translucent plastic, is amber-colored for the front of the vehicle and red for the rear."

And this one:
Effective January 1, 1968, all passenger cars built for sale in the United States were required to display amber lights or reflectors on the sides of front fenders, and red lights or reflectors on the sides of rear quarter panels.

From Washington State Legislature:
RCW 46.37.100
Color of clearance lamps, side marker lamps, backup lamps, and reflectors.
(1) Front clearance lamps and those marker lamps and reflectors mounted on the front or on the side near the front of a vehicle shall display or reflect an amber color.
(2) Rear clearance lamps and those marker lamps and reflectors mounted on the rear or on the sides near the rear of a vehicle shall display or reflect a red color.

The LED boards that I make have amber sidemarker LEDs for amber rear turnsignals. It makes me wonder if the amber sidemarker LEDs should be shut off or constructed with RED LEDs.

Thoughts?

GregAmy
Officer: "Do you know why I pulled you over?"

Guy: "Um, no sir."

Officer: "Your reg shows that's a 1972 car"

Guy: "Yes, sir?"

Officer: "You have amber rear turn signal lenses."

Guy: "Um, ok...?"

Officer: "Please step out of the car, sir, with your hands in clear view."
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Jan 2 2020, 01:55 PM) *

I know you are joking tongue and cheek here or I hope so- unless you are in the
(Admin Edit: ***no politics***) it’s not going to happen, as Doc said it is now fully legal for amber according to SC and fed guidelines . I spent some time researching this both state dot website state law etc and discussed with several law enforcement officers before covering to my euro spec lenses here. My 914 now is essentially same as the Boxster- now the did say an uninformed officer could mistakenly pull someone over thinking they should have amber when the just had red, but when the law changed it actually specifies that boy ways are legal and this was done to allow for the change and variation with newer and older vehicles. So you are good to go-
Phil
ps- I have a copy of that from the state DOT in my owners manual just in case but I don’t think that’s going to happen .
rhodyguy
If the WSP is bored on a Friday night the law might be enforced. Happened to me. The Euro lenses might have confused people behind me. Then I was confused but knew better than to argue. told the trooper I had a dot spec set and would put them on. Never did.
Montreal914
About 10 years ago, I got red rubber covers from my local flap to put over the rear side marker bulbs. The result was interesting. The whole amber lens corner was actually red when lights on but became flashing orange when the blinker was on. The power of the blinker bulb was far greater.

I did this after un-successfully looking for a red bulb for the side marker bulb size. After a few short years the red cover lost its color...

Fast forward to LED light era, I recently found red LED side marker bulb and put them on. The LED isn’t as strong as the incandescent so the result is not perfect but you get the idea...

If you are currently offering the updated side marker LED board, you might want to try assembling one with red LEDs and see the result. Obviously, keep the orange LEDs for the blinker.
Maltese Falcon
A small square of red translucent film, apply like a decal and this works too ! This one has 30 years on it might be time to replace the film.
Click to view attachment
Wyvern
Or use Euro lenses with a RED LED . brighter, less draw and the illumination is red
dcecc1968
Looks like North Carolina law is silent on side markers and side marker color, but interestingly enough red OR amber stop lights are OK. I've never seen an amber stoplight

Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
I used a bit of duct seal aluminum tape to make a refector divider so the side marker didn't light up the turn signal area as much.
Spoke
So did Euro 914's which were manufactured with amber turnsignals have a sidemarker bulb at all?

I'm tempted to build a set of amber turnsignals with red sidemarker LEDs to test out how well the red comes through the amber lens.
Mikey914
It's not a problem till it's a problem.
If someone rear ends you and they are knowledgable enough to know it's not stock, there is an arguement that they might not be at fault as your lights are not compliant.
Odds are slim to none, but a possibility.
mepstein
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jan 4 2020, 09:31 AM) *

So did Euro 914's which were manufactured with amber turnsignals have a sidemarker bulb at all?

I'm tempted to build a set of amber turnsignals with red sidemarker LEDs to test out how well the red comes through the amber lens.

I don't believe they used the bulb.
I have a euro lens if you want to test.
bbrock
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jan 4 2020, 07:31 AM) *

While trying to find more information on this, I found some European regulations that said side markers are allowed, but not required. If present, they could be either red or amber so with or without that bulb in a Euro lens, they would be legal there.

Seems like if we could get the side markers to light up through the amber lenses, it would be a win-win for US/Canada drivers.
Montreal914
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jan 4 2020, 06:31 AM) *

To my knowledge, the EU cars do not have the rear side marker bulb in. It would be consistent with the fact that there are no side markers in the front.

Please run a test with red LEDs for rear side marker to be used in combination with amber LED for the turn signal. I have been lurking at your products for a while now and would definitely appreciate that option. beerchug.gif
Superhawk996
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 2 2020, 02:29 PM) *

If the WSP is bored on a Friday night the law might be enforced. Happened to me. The Euro lenses might have confused people behind me. Then I was confused but knew better than to argue. told the trooper I had a dot spec set and would put them on. Never did.

smilie_pokal.gif

Spoke
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Jan 4 2020, 12:12 PM) *

Please run a test with red LEDs for rear side marker to be used in combination with amber LED for the turn signal. I have been lurking at your products for a while now and would definitely appreciate that option. beerchug.gif

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 4 2020, 10:11 AM) *

Thanks Mark, I have euro lenses on my 914. I tested a red 911 sidemarker board that I make. It has 12 LEDs on it. I placed the 914 lens from my car in front of the red LEDs measuring light through both the amber section and the red brake section.

At 1 meter, I measured 27Lux though the red brake lens and 32Lux through the amber section. How about that? The red LED gave more light through the amber lens than the red lens. And the light through the amber lens was indeed red as projected on the wall.

Based on this test, it would seem one could run red LED turnsignals through amber lenses. I will start making the amber turnsignal boards with red sidemarker LEDs which will be compatible with DOT specifications.

I'm going to post this same topic on Pelican in my LED brake thread since the same thing is going on in the 911 with euro rear turnsignals.

Mark Henry
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jan 4 2020, 10:19 AM) *

Seems like if we could get the side markers to light up through the amber lenses, it would be a win-win for US/Canada drivers.

This my ghetto duct seal tape solution. Just bent a piece of alunimum tape and stuck it on making a bit of a divider/hood.
mrholland2

Just wondering how that new board would work with a US Spec lens? Would you have amber turn signals?

QUOTE(Spoke @ Jan 6 2020, 07:27 AM) *

QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Jan 4 2020, 12:12 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 4 2020, 10:11 AM) *

Thanks Mark, I have euro lenses on my 914. I tested a red 911 sidemarker board that I make. It has 12 LEDs on it. I placed the 914 lens from my car in front of the red LEDs measuring light through both the amber section and the red brake section.

At 1 meter, I measured 27Lux though the red brake lens and 32Lux through the amber section. How about that? The red LED gave more light through the amber lens than the red lens. And the light through the amber lens was indeed red as projected on the wall.

Based on this test, it would seem one could run red LED turnsignals through amber lenses. I will start making the amber turnsignal boards with red sidemarker LEDs which will be compatible with DOT specifications.

I'm going to post this same topic on Pelican in my LED brake thread since the same thing is going on in the 911 with euro rear turnsignals.

Mark Henry
edit
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 6 2020, 11:44 AM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Jan 4 2020, 10:19 AM) *

This my ghetto duct seal tape solution. Just bent a piece of alunimum tape and stuck it on making a bit of a divider/hood.

IPB Image
IPB Image

A couple of notes,
-At night the turn light area still glows a tad, from directly behind the car maybe 1/10th as bright as the running light.
-The clear reflector lens in the housing is suppose to be glued in, but mine pulled out easy and when installed it's trapped between the housing and lens.
-I thought about taping right to the clear reflector but I still wanted the turn signal light to wrap around the corner of the lens.
-In the pics the first shot is of the left side, 2nd pic is the right side because I couldn't get a good pic of the left.
-A better solution could likely be made out of thin alunimum sheet, I'll try this in the future if the tape falls off.
-Yes I have two orange 914's wink.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Dead on: A HEINOUS crime!

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Jan 2 2020, 11:55 AM) *

Spoke
The first amber rear turnsignal board with red sidemarker LEDs. Looks pretty cool.

Click to view attachment

Here's the lens w/o any lights on. Amber look all around the corner.

Click to view attachment

With the running lights on, the sidelight appears red as it should be for the rear sidemarker.

Click to view attachment
Chi-town
If it doesn't have the SAE/DOT stamp on it, it's illegal. That stamp is actually part of the requirement.
mepstein
Damm. Another thing to buy.

beerchug.gif
Montreal914
Very nice! smilie_pokal.gif

It is interesting to see that the red light doesn't propagate to the blinker portion of the lens. I assume it is because the LEDs are very directional. This means we don't need Mark's ghetto fix with aluminum tape poke.gif biggrin.gif

Will eventually pull the trigger on some of these beauties. beerchug.gif

eric9144
Reviving this thread because I installed some of these beauties tonight. The red outer marker is pretty awesome in the euro lenses:

@spoke aktion035.gif
Click to view attachment
RickS
Adopted Mr. Henry’s ingenious (ghetto) solution on the cheap. “Works great, less filling”

But the LED solution is ingenious and looks great.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.