Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "WOT" download accelorator
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ruddyboys
Does anyone know of a good download Accelorator? I have dailup (wife got cable with divorce) and need to download some video and don't want to spend hours doing it.
skline
I dont believe in them, most of them come with a bunch of other crap software like adware and stuff and just slow the rest of your computer down. Either live with the speed you got or get broadband.
bd1308
I don't believe in them either. My friend had a program called Star Downloader (apparently free of spyware) and he said that he was getting 1Mbit/sec download and I was still going at 700Kbit/sec.....this was at my college.

Take this worth a grain of salt.....

Personally, I think it's a waste of time to download something like this.

Download the file and get some fresh air. go driving!
davep
About the best you can do is to maximise the available bandwidth. Download during off-peak hours, and try multiple files at once, each from a different source. Most of the problems are on the internet not on your own connection. By DLing multiple files you can ensure maxing out your local connection. By choosing different sources you can eliminate overloading the source. That will also even out the lags in each hop along the way.
sanglee007
Firefox has a downloader built in, but it's not an "accelerator", but can resume in a lot of instances.

Flashget is OK, but does have ads built in, and seems to make Internet Explorer bug out everyonce in awhile.

Net Transport is good, but the interface is a little unintuitive. It can also download "mms://" streaming media files.

Sang 56k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.