Full Version: WTB Lock wafers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
stevie 77 930
I am looking a few valet lock wafers I believe they are # 5 wafer

PM me if you have any.

Thanks

Steve
euro911
Contact Dan ( @tweet ) ... he's our resident locksmith.
mb911
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jan 5 2020, 09:17 PM) *

Contact Dan ( @tweet ) ... he's our resident locksmith.

I would not contact Dan.

There are a bunch of threads about him lately and how he is not delivered after payment.. Pelicanparts also has a thread about him running.
914Sixer
914 Rubber talked about making them. Not sure where that has gone.
GregAmy
OK, I'll bite: what are they?
stevie 77 930
I will not be contacting Dan. He already has my original trunk lock with a master key.
I paid him for his lock service back in April of 2019.

I recently acquired a replacement lock and now I re-keyed it myself. I have successfully re-keyed the lock to accept both a master and valet key. I have since learned the last wafer should have been a "valet wafer" this prevents the valet key from accessing the trunk (the same as the glove box)

http://www.914world.com/specs/rekey.php

I have added a picture of the "valet wafer" as seen in a post about rekeying a lock by MarkB here on the forum. The "valet wafer" has a step as you can see in the picture, the last wafer on the right
Rob-O
I sent Mark some wafers awhile back. There may be some valet wafers in the package I sent him. If he’s done with his project he may be able to help out.

@mepstein
GregAmy
QUOTE(stevie 77 930 @ Jan 6 2020, 10:46 AM) *
...the last wafer should have been a "valet wafer" this prevents the valet key from accessing the trunk (the same as the glove box)

Thanks!
mepstein
QUOTE(Rob-O @ Jan 6 2020, 10:51 AM) *

I sent Mark some wafers awhile back. There may be some valet wafers in the package I sent him. If he’s done with his project he may be able to help out.

@mepstein

I’ll take a look tomorrow.
stevie 77 930
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 6 2020, 10:29 AM) *

QUOTE(Rob-O @ Jan 6 2020, 10:51 AM) *

@mepstein

I’ll take a look tomorrow.

Thank you Mark
euro911
Wow. I hadn't hear about Dan turning sour on folks. Just noticed he hasn't been active here since last summer WTF.gif
johnhora
Steve...how many do you need?...John
stevie 77 930
John,
just 2

Thanks
bdstone914
@stevie 77 930 date='Jan 6 2020, 04:13 PM' post='2775205']
John,
just 2

Thanks
[/quote]

I have some lock cylinders. Never knew about the valet water. Can check them later.
Bruce
bdstone914
John,
just 2

Thanks
[/quote]

I have some lock cylinders. Never knew about the valet water. Can check them later.
Bruce
dax1969
I went to the local VW garage and they had plenty in the garbagebin biggrin.gif
Paid nothing, the meccanic had no clue why I needed them.
stevie 77 930
QUOTE(dax1969 @ Jan 7 2020, 07:23 AM) *

I went to the local VW garage and they had plenty in the garbagebin biggrin.gif
Paid nothing, the meccanic had no clue why I needed them.

You guys are awesome
stevie 77 930
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jan 7 2020, 06:55 AM) *

John,
just 2

Thanks

Bruce

Thanks Bruce

We all knew about the valet key, just wasn't sure how it was actually keyed in the cylinder. The master and valet are cut the same...its the blade profile that is different
johnhora
Steve...PM me your mailing address and I'll send you a couple...John
stevie 77 930
QUOTE(johnhora @ Jan 7 2020, 12:57 PM) *

Awesome ! Thank you John. PM sent
stevie 77 930
QUOTE(johnhora @ Jan 7 2020, 12:57 PM) *

Just a follow up to my trunk lock. A big THANK YOU to John for sending a couple of these "lock wafers"

I had a master key cut tracing the valet key at a local hardware store so once I had the wafers , it was time re-key the lock.

The end result is i now have a correctly functioning master key and valet key

You can visible see the step
Click to view attachment

Wafers releasing
Click to view attachment

I had to try a few different slots, once I got the right one the Master key grabs all of the wafers...nice and flush
Click to view attachment

Valet Key inserted and you can see how it does not grab the "valet wafer"
Click to view attachment

I decided to use the URO rear lock as my Ebay replacement was pretty beat up
This is a very nice and reproduction
Click to view attachment

Lastly, was reassembly and reinstall into the car
Click to view attachment
stevie 77 930
Click to view attachment
FlacaProductions
Nicely done - since you've been in there, I wonder if you can provide some input on my situation. I had a new key cut and it works in all situations (locks and ignition) only when facing one way. Flip it over, no joy. it's strange since they are symmetrical, correct? Other keys work both ways...

Thoughts?
stevie 77 930
[quote name='FlacaProductions' date='Jan 15 2020, 09:20 AM' post='2777638']
Nicely done - since you've been in there, I wonder if you can provide some input on my situation. I had a new key cut and it works in all situations (locks and ignition) only when facing one way. Flip it over, no joy. it's strange since they are symmetrical, correct? Other keys work both ways...

Thoughts?

I can only guess (as I don't proclaim any expertise) the key is not symmetrical or the cuts were not made correctly.
PCH
Can the valet wafer go in any slot?
stevie 77 930
QUOTE(PCH @ Jan 15 2020, 09:38 AM) *

"I had to try a few different slots, once I got the right one the Master key grabs all of the wafers...nice and flush"
PCH
QUOTE(stevie 77 930 @ Jan 15 2020, 09:47 AM) *

QUOTE(PCH @ Jan 15 2020, 09:38 AM) *

"I had to try a few different slots, once I got the right one the Master key grabs all of the wafers...nice and flush"

Thank you
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.