Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Monterey Historics
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joel Simmons
Hello everyone,

Just moved to Salinas and couldn't help but notice on my morning drive to work that I passby Laguna-Seca. Now, I've never been to Laguna-Seca or the Monterey Historics and I am as giddy as a schoolgirl to go to the races.

I'm just wondering if there is going to be a battalion of 914's storming the place and on what day that will be. I can only make it on one day and I would love to walk through the car corrals and see some sweet 914's.

As you may know I'm one of those lurkers who wishes he had a 914 (help me convince my Wife I need one and not a reliable Suzuki Aerio), but has never made the plunge. I know there's a ton of Porsche-philes here in the Monterey area so I hope to see a bunch of you there. And if you want to sell your 914 bring it because I'll be looking.

Joel beerchug.gif

richardL
I always try to go on the Friday - its much quieter and you can walk around freely with no crowds. Also, all the cars run Friday (in practice), but on Saturday and Sunday only half of the cars run on any day.

There isn't usually an organized 914 presence, but you might see a few. Its well worth the time to go though.

Richard
Trekkor
There's supposed to be a big 914 whoop-dee-do later in the year...( forgot date)
I'm sure the thread will surface again as it get's closer.

Side trip: Marina airport in Marina is the premier a/x site in Nor Cal with a great 914 showing and competition.

Come see us on the 24th. burnout.gif

KT

( welcome out of the shadows ) cool.gif
Joel Simmons
Alohas,

Yeah I've heard that the Marina airport is a big-time autoX place. I'll try to make it out there one of these days.

Too bad there aren't a ton of 914's at the Historics. There's got to be a huge Porsche showing nonetheless, right?

Anyone got any pointers on where to look for 914's for sale besides the classifieds on here and at craigslist.com ?

Thanks,
Joel

neo914-6
Try PelicanParts, eBay in CA, specialty dealers, CAMP914.com, newspapers (but I've rarely seen them listed in print)

One member frequents the Italiano Concourso on Friday.

There is a big 914 event in October: Vintage Races

I grew up in Salinas smilie_pokal.gif
carreraguy
Aloha Joel!
Welcome to the Mainland!
In 2004 we had the first West Coast Classic 914 get together; that was the palce to see 914's in the Monterey area! Below is a pic at Laguna Seca's Turn 4.
Another place to likely see some 914's in your area duirng the Historics Weekend would be the Concours Italiano at the Black Horse Golf Course at (what used to be) Fort Ord on Friday 8/19. There will be a large car corral for many foreign makes and I'm sure you'll see some Teeners there! I'll be there with my 911. Check out: www.concorso.com

olav
I'll be going to the Concorso Italiano this year. It's a great event, lots-o-Porsches in the corral too.

This is my car in the Porsche corral.

That is a Turbo S beside me. Cool. Lot's of GT3s, 911s, 356s etc. all around.
sean_v8_914
Monterey Historics is EPIC!!! dont miss it. it is the finest of the finest of their species. You get to cruise the paddocks. the entire Monterey peninsula is ablaze with magnificent cars from turn of the century to present. Pebble beach concouse d'elegance is like a living museum of the finest cars you will EVER see. these cars gather from around the world. words can not describe it. you must see to believe drooley.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif
olav

Prototype Corvette Stingray...
olav

These are some pics from last year...
olav
Just to get an idea of the event...

Testarossa's as far as the eye can see.
olav
People relaxing and shooting the shit about their car.

Lot's of people just hang out beside their car and drink. Like a fancy tail gate party.

That's what we're doing this year...

beerchug.gif chowtime.gif
olav
Some nice autos...

That's an Alfa and my knees in the foreground... smile.gif
olav
Some more...
olav
More still...
olav

Cobra prototype...
olav

Interior...
olav
Another one...

Sorry for the ugly butt picture... ohmy.gif
neo914-6
That Cobra is nice. My old ACCD instructor Richard Hutting was part of the design team which was on an episode of "Rides". Dam guy would crumple up the artwork after his beautiful sketch demo!
olav

The engine dept... smilie_pokal.gif
olav

A general overview...
olav
QUOTE (Neo914-6 @ Jul 31 2005, 11:37 AM)
That Cobra is nice. My old ACCD instructor Richard Hutting was part of the design team which was on an episode of "Rides". Dam guy would crumple up the artwork after his beautiful sketch demo!

huh.gif headbang.gif
grantsfo
Here is a good list of everything that is happening that week:

http://www.montereyhistoric.com/weekend/wlinks.html

I think MBR PCA is having a Porsche corall and dinner too.
Maltese Falcon
Featured marque at the lodge this year is Alfa Romeo--watch for some new models destined for the U.S.
Mazda Laguna Seca raceway is honoring the Chaparral and Jim Hall at the historics...should be an interesting bit of 1960s technology. Do you think they will run the vacuum cleaner car ? boldblue.gif
carreraguy
Yep, I agree, the weekend of 19-21 August in Monterey is great for car lovers! People come for all over the country (world?) to drool at some beautiful cars. Just remember to get an early start and bring lots of $$; especially for the Pebble Beach Concours! I quit going to the PB concours some time ago because of the traffic/crowd hassel and the expense, but if you've never been before, its worth it to go at least once; especially if you live in the local area!
sean_v8_914
Pebble beach show is 1 day, $100 each person. Very wine and cheesey crowd. Bentleys, Packards, Rolls

Laguna Seca is about $40 per day, 3 days more about racing and teh cars not teh cheese. GT40, Porsche, Cobras, Can Am

Concourso Italiano is $40 one day and falls somewhere in between the two. Maserati, Alfa, Ferrari, Pantera
ppickerell
Look for the Peridot Racing Team Banner in Campsite 119 in the Grand Prix campground between turns 5 and 6. Come up and have a Pilsner!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.