Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone recognize this old 914 E Prod racecar?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
stownsen914
I randomly ran across this old 914 racecar in an ad while I was visiting Georgia for a reasonable price, so I went ahead and bought it. Does anyone recognize it? The seller had previously bought it in a parts lot from the fellow who raced it, so information is second hand and incomplete. I don't have contact info. for the guy who raced it. It seems to have run SCCA E Production in the 1980s and possibly the 70s, out of Georgia. It sat outside for a few months, so condition is rough, but I didn't see any terminal rust, and it seems to be complete.

I'm looking for information about the car. I'm hoping there may be some folks who are ex-racers or from the Georgia area who might be familiar with it. Thanks!

Scott

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
GregAmy
Do you have the logbook with number? If not, look on the cage for it to be stamped somewhere. Format will be XXX-YYYY, where XXX indicates the SCCA Region that initially issued the logbook.

Tell me the region number and I can get you contact info for the Chief of Tech. They can review their records to get initial logbook info.
stownsen914
Thanks Greg. I don't have the logbook. The guy I bought it from doesn't remember getting it when he picked up the car. The original owner may still have it … hopefully. So I hope to find him so I can ask more details about the car, and ideally get the log book too.

I'll look at the cage more carefully. It's not stored locally for the time being, so I won't be able to look at that for a while unfortunately.
Charles Freeborn
QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Jan 8 2020, 09:00 AM) *

I randomly ran across this old 914 racecar in an ad while I was visiting Georgia for a reasonable price, so I went ahead and bought it. Does anyone recognize it? The seller had previously bought it in a parts lot from the fellow who raced it, so information is second hand and incomplete. I don't have contact info. for the guy who raced it. It seems to have run SCCA E Production in the 1980s and possibly the 70s, out of Georgia. It sat outside for a few months, so condition is rough, but I didn't see any terminal rust, and it seems to be complete.

I'm looking for information about the car. I'm hoping there may be some folks who are ex-racers or from the Georgia area who might be familiar with it. Thanks!

Scott

Looks a little like this one - but the front flares are different. Either way ping Jake Raby. He's in Georgia.

http://aircooledtechnology.com/racing-engines/
stownsen914
QUOTE(Charles Freeborn @ Jan 8 2020, 03:06 PM) *

Looks a little like this one - but the front flares are different. Either way ping Jake Raby. He's in Georgia.

Thanks for that. I believe that car is Len Hoffman's, who works with Jake. It's a different car, but I've reached out to Len to see if he recognizes the car.
GregAmy
If that one actually is Len's ( @HAM Inc ) car, then it's now /6-equipped and in the hands of the 2016/2019 EProd National Champion.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=336500

Every time I see Kip I give him grief about not running it instead of his 944S2, he says they're "working on it"...
old914dog
This is not Lynn Hoffman's old car in my humble opinion. His did not have headlights. I had the car for a couple of years. I do believe it is now a 6 and racing from Forida.
stownsen914
To be clear, I know that the car I bought is not Len's old car. I am trying to figure out who raced it and/or any other history on the car. Thanks to those who chimed in so far.

Scott
GregAmy
To be clear....

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Jan 9 2020, 09:04 AM) *

If that one actually is Len's car...

...was referring to this...

QUOTE(Charles Freeborn @ Jan 8 2020, 03:06 PM) *

Looks a little like this one - but the front flares are different.

...which was Len's car.
HAM Inc
It's not my old car.
I don't know who's car that was. It looks like it has a SARRC decal on the side, which was the bunch I ran with, but it wasn't active when I was 2007-2010. I sold my car in 2011.

My hunch is the car in the photo's has been sitting for a while.
stownsen914
Thanks guys ...

Greg - I realized what you meant. Perhaps I misunderstood another comment and thought the thread was going adrift, lol.

Let’s see if anyone else recognizes the car in the first post.

Also appreciate any leads to people in the southeast who raced in the 1970s or 80s who might know about the car.

Scott
stownsen914
Quick update - I am in touch with the former owner / racer of the car. Apparently SCCA has been assembling a database of scanned historical materials like race results, logbooks, and other records. I ran across a contact for the team that is doing this, and put in a request along with the limited info. I had. A couple weeks they came back with the name of the former owner. I googled the name, and luckily he was still in Georgia and I gave him a call. He still has some paperwork for the car that I'm hopefully going to get soon.
SirAndy
QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Feb 14 2020, 08:22 AM) *

Quick update - I am in touch with the former owner / racer of the car. Apparently SCCA has been assembling a database of scanned historical materials like race results, logbooks, and other records. I ran across a contact for the team that is doing this, and put in a request along with the limited info. I had. A couple weeks they came back with the name of the former owner. I googled the name, and luckily he was still in Georgia and I gave him a call. He still has some paperwork for the car that I'm hopefully going to get soon.

smilie_pokal.gif
HAM Inc
QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Feb 14 2020, 09:22 AM) *

That's great. Is the owner okay with us knowing his name? I'd love to know if it's someone I knew.
stownsen914
I'm checking with him. Will report back ...
stownsen914
I confirmed with the prior owner that he's fine with me sharing his name here. His name is Terry Booth. He raced the car in SCCA approx. 1981-1988. Terry was kind enough to send me the original SCCA logbook. Below are the pics from the logbook. The car looks pretty much the same now, just a little weathered. I am hoping to get to work on the car this coming winter once I finish up another project.

Turns out Terry is on 914world. I'm going to send him a link to this thread, maybe he'll chime in.

Click to view attachment
GregAmy
Good find.

That logbook is invaluable, as the rollcage regs have changed over the years. WIth the logbook you can grandfather to the old ones. There's still a few things you'll have to change but that logbook helps a lot.

Good luck on the refurb!
HAM Inc
Very cool that you have the log book.
Are you going to run vintage, or scca once you get it restored?
stownsen914
I am thinking more likely vintage. Making a run in SCCA would be interesting, but if I did it, I'd want do it for real, and that would be a big, expensive effort.
sixnotfour
kind of a grocery getter,, compared to your other 914?
stownsen914
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 1 2020, 03:08 PM) *

kind of a grocery getter,, compared to your other 914?

Haha, well it is a bit different from the other one, yes. I've been keeping an eye open for a small bore vintage race 914 project. This one fit the bill.
blabla914
Love to see the old race cars end up in good hands. Good luck with your vintage project
Stark 01
I was sifting through the Paddock and came across this. It’s been a while, and Covid, but I am wondering if you started this project yet?
stownsen914
Not started yet. I was hoping this winter, but I am still not done with my other car that I was hoping to drive this past year (didn't work out). For the EP car, just some assessment and started collecting a few parts that I know I'll need, a set of headers for example.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.