Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: battery connection screw up
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
ctc911ctc
You should not have taken your frustration out on your darling bride! Seriously, I hope she will mend quickly.

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif poke.gif

You need a 'lad' from the neighborhood to assist you - I would start by removing the grounding strap and cleaning and reattaching.

As to the firing (Carb or Injectors?) check on the spark first. The coil, points and perhaps other ignition parts can be damaged. Search web on "testing Ignition coil". This is pretty easy as to Good/Bad, however, some test OK and then do not perform properly.

However, to get going I would:

Check the plugs for firing
Check the plug wires
Inspect the cap and rotor (burn marks,etc)
Check the points (burn marks, etc.)

Hey, you got past one mystery, how many are left to go?

QUOTE(dt4 @ Feb 12 2020, 01:40 PM) *

so I connected a jumper lead to the negative battery terminal and the engine and the starter sped up quite noticeably although not enough to fire up
I then ran a jump lead from the positive post on the starter to the positive to the battery, the starter remained at the increased speed but the engine didnt fire
suggesting a negative lead to battery problem
I also wonder about the non firing issue, could there be coil damage?
I swapped batteries over but to no effect and now have the better of the 2 on charge as it started to struggle.
I also tried the negative jumper on the starter itself to see if that was grounded, it ran at the improved speed but the doesnt sound to be any firing, I could take a plug out to see if there is a spark but I dont have a helper any more as the Mrs has fallen and broken her wrist

dt4
thanks, the pointers are much appreciated
will report back clap56.gif
dt4
IT RUNS !!!!!!!!!!!!

It took a lot of attempts but I got the feeling that it was trying to fire
just as it felt like the battery would die it fired and spluttered but with a bit of help on the throttle cable to lift the idle speed it started to run smoothly

It needed the jumper cable from the negative post to the engine and it wouldnt start if using the normal negative battery lead so I will order a new lead.

Its a relief to know nothing else is fried although none of the instruments are working so Ill have to check fuses etc....

thanks for all the input chaps thumb3d.gif
Spoke
Great news!

What about the alternator? Does it appear to be operating? Is the GEN light on or off? Does the GEN light come on when the key is turned w/o the engine running?
jcd914
QUOTE(Spoke @ Feb 13 2020, 02:00 PM) *

Great news!

What about the alternator? Does it appear to be operating? Is the GEN light on or off? Does the GEN light come on when the key is turned w/o the engine running?

He replaced the Alternator.

QUOTE(dt4 @ Feb 10 2020, 05:23 AM) *

so the latest...

I tracked an alternator down over here and fitted it at the weekend

With the ignition on I can hear the fuel pump running at the front, when I turn the key to start it is very slow to crank and is not firing, its as though the battery is virtually flat
I swapped out the battery for a spare that I believe to be good but the same result.

Looking for suggestions as to what else to check please

I am an electrical numbskull and whilst I have a circuit tester I have no clue how to use it.

Spoke
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Feb 13 2020, 05:07 PM) *

He replaced the Alternator.

Thanks. Didn't read all the posts.
dt4
No warning lights but that said the instruments were all dead so more to look at there
The main thing was getting it running again after the mess up
I can now move it again when the weather improves and be able to clean down the garage in readiness for painting
ctc911ctc
Do not forget to remove, clean and reinstall the ground strap - many gremlins can hide in there.

Congrats on the start! You have finished your freshman class on 914 Electrics
cheer.gif cheer.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif

QUOTE(dt4 @ Feb 14 2020, 02:55 AM) *

No warning lights but that said the instruments were all dead so more to look at there
The main thing was getting it running again after the mess up
I can now move it again when the weather improves and be able to clean down the garage in readiness for painting

dt4
out of curiosity i tried the jumper lead from the battery negative to the connection bolt on the inner wing and there was clearly a poor connection as the starter struggled to turn over but it fired up pretty quickly once I earthed to the engine
The bolt and surrounding area on the inner wing are all nice and clean bright metal so thats puzzling
porschetub
QUOTE(dt4 @ Feb 14 2020, 07:21 AM) *

IT RUNS !!!!!!!!!!!!

It took a lot of attempts but I got the feeling that it was trying to fire
just as it felt like the battery would die it fired and spluttered but with a bit of help on the throttle cable to lift the idle speed it started to run smoothly

It needed the jumper cable from the negative post to the engine and it wouldnt start if using the normal negative battery lead so I will order a new lead.

Its a relief to know nothing else is fried although none of the instruments are working so Ill have to check fuses etc....

thanks for all the input chaps thumb3d.gif

Well done,pleased to hear you got it running beerchug.gif .
sixnotfour
Also check the ground strap on the battery to chassis AND the ground strap on the transmission.

Just forward of the muffler, top of tail housing of trans..
dt4
Having a bit of a wtf moment now
This is the connection for the battery negative lead
Using a new negative lead and it’s still a bad earth
If I add the jump lead from the engine to the battery negative it starts fine but with the negative lead alone it won’t turn over Click to view attachment
DickSteinkamp
It certainly sounds like the engine is not getting a good ground from the chassis.

See post #61
Spoke
Is that the stock ground stud? Maybe it's not making contact. Try jumpering from the battery negative to another chassis ground. If this stud is bad, then the car should turn over with the ground going into a different stud.
sixnotfour
pic = 1000 words
It certainly sounds like the engine is not getting a good ground from the chassis.

See post #61

Specifically, make sure you've got the ground strap snugly attached from rear of gearbox to a clean ground point that's on the underside of the trunk.
dt4
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 17 2020, 05:40 PM) *

pic = 1000 words

See post #61

Specifically, make sure you've got the ground strap snugly attached from rear of gearbox to a clean ground point that's on the underside of the trunk.

I have cleaned that one up but will go at it again
cheers
sixnotfour
QUOTE(dt4 @ Feb 17 2020, 11:32 AM) *

pic = 1000 words

See post #61

cheers

beerchug.gif should have completed the ground path... headbang.gif idea.gif
Spoke
QUOTE(dt4 @ Feb 17 2020, 01:32 PM) *

cheers

Did you try connecting the battery negative to another ground post on the chassis? This way you will actually be testing the transmission strap vs. just looking at it.
dt4
QUOTE(Spoke @ Feb 18 2020, 10:51 AM) *

QUOTE(dt4 @ Feb 17 2020, 01:32 PM) *

cheers

Did you try connecting the battery negative to another ground post on the chassis? This way you will actually be testing the transmission strap vs. just looking at it.

That's tonights job
dt4

pic = 1000 words

See post #61

so I removed this earth strap last night and cleaned up both ends and the area around the stud
Had the battery on charge over night as i had flattened it trying different earth points and it started first turn.
Hopefully, thats put this thread to bed
thanks for all the help folks
thumb3d.gif
ctc911ctc
QUOTE(dt4 @ Feb 18 2020, 03:30 PM) *

pic = 1000 words

See post #61

so I removed this earth strap last night and cleaned up both ends and the area around the stud
Had the battery on charge over night as i had flattened it trying different earth points and it started first turn.
Hopefully, thats put this thread to bed
thanks for all the help folks
thumb3d.gif

driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.