Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Frame brace instructions needed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Stuckon914
Starting to work on my 914, longs likely need to be replaced. I would like to stabilize the frame using the adjustable brace I see some use that is attached To the door opening and has adjustable turn-buckles.
Where can I find some instructions on building them?
Tried search and google with no luck.
jtprettyman
You can pick up a set from Tangerine Racing, they allow you to leave the doors on throughout the process to monitor door gap easily.
http://www.tangerineracing.com/tools.htm

Alternatively, just grab some box tube, turnbuckles, and some scrap and weld up your own set. I did mine very easily (I'm a CSOB, and put the $$ toward replacement sheet metal), and made them in a similar fashion to be able to monitor door gap.
Superhawk996
Heim joints and threaded bungs to make adjustable braces are cheap and available on Amazon.
TargaToy
I also built mine using square tubing and turnbuckles. The top of the brace mounted at the shoulder belt pivot and I welded the lower end to the top of the longs, inboard enough that I could also close the doors. I'll have to look and see if I've got any pictures of them.
TargaToy
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
TargaToy
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Stuckon914
QUOTE(TargaToy @ Jan 14 2020, 02:56 PM) *

Exactly what I needed. Any particular type of turn buckle? Rating or dimensions?
Stuckon914
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jan 14 2020, 11:46 AM) *

Heim joints and threaded bungs to make adjustable braces are cheap and available on Amazon.

Learned two new terms. Thought you might be making Up terms for a minute
Charles Freeborn
QUOTE(Stuckon914 @ Jan 14 2020, 02:48 PM) *

There's a whole wonderful vocabulary of fabrication terms.. Rivnuts, Nutserts, Flangebolts, and my favorite ... swarf... it's the curlycues and chips that you sweep up and throw away (or recycle) that comes from lathe, and milling operations.
burton73
I have seen more than a few cars over the last 13 years that had the door gaps screwed up from shrinking metal on this type of job that you are going to do.

Know what you are doing and take it very slow and let the welds cool. Only doing a little at a time.

Going back after is a huge mess and you do not want to go there.

Bob B
chair.gif headbang.gif
Stuckon914
QUOTE(burton73 @ Jan 14 2020, 06:19 PM) *

I have seen more than a few cars over the last 13 years that had the door gaps screwed up from shrinking metal on this type of job that you are going to do.

Know what you are doing and take it very slow and let the welds cool. Only doing a little at a time.

Going back after is a huge mess and you do not want to go there.

Bob B
chair.gif headbang.gif

Will do, thanks. I want the brace on before I start taking it apart to stabilize the area. Gotta learn to weld first
Stuckon914
QUOTE(Charles Freeborn @ Jan 14 2020, 06:19 PM) *

QUOTE(Stuckon914 @ Jan 14 2020, 02:48 PM) *

There's a whole wonderful vocabulary of fabrication terms.. Rivnuts, Nutserts, Flangebolts, and my favorite ... swarf... it's the curlycues and chips that you sweep up and throw away (or recycle) that comes from lathe, and milling operations.

Rivnuts and nutserts sound like terms used to pull someone’s leg.
TargaToy
QUOTE(Stuckon914 @ Jan 14 2020, 05:47 PM) *

Exactly what I needed. Any particular type of turn buckle? Rating or dimensions?

Click to view attachment

I had to walk out in the garage and measure them. Looks like 4” turnbuckles. No special rating. They just felt stout enough when I was shopping for the components.
Andyrew
How much of the longs are you planning on doing? Floor pan too?

You might need to do more than just a simple brace...

This wasn't that difficult to make. But picking up the suspension points on a jig would be a really good idea. Casters on the jig would make it movable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5vkjZCWEJs
Stuckon914
QUOTE(TargaToy @ Jan 14 2020, 08:34 PM) *

QUOTE(Stuckon914 @ Jan 14 2020, 05:47 PM) *

Click to view attachment

I had to walk out in the garage and measure them. Looks like 4” turnbuckles. No special rating. They just felt stout enough when I was shopping for the components.

Appreciated
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.