Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Show me your front trunk
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thomasotten
I would like to see what the front trunk looks like if you run the "factory" A/C and you also have a spare tire. Does it all fit nicely, or do you end up with little tunk space?
Andyrew
Well, you have about 6 or more inches of lateral space taken away... Its really alot....... theres not much room left.

Andrew

previous ac car.
STL914
My 74 had the VPC style condensor in the front trunk. It basically sits where the spare would be. In a non A/C car, the spare sit beneath the carpeted "luggage floor". In the A/C equipped cars such as mine, the spare tire actually sat on the "luggage floor" and took up the majority of the front trunk.
Joe Bob
The DEALER added ac(s) allowed for a spare to sit on top of the condensor...no such animal as a factory ac...

They had a plastic cover that protected the fins.
thomasotten
So is the DPD condensor the way to go for more room?
redshift
No, a modern condenser is the only way to go... unless you are trying to make it look like stock aftermarket.

smile.gif

There is no misery like a stock 914 with a stock A/C in anything hotter than 85 degree heat.... and MAN the motor hates it.

M
Joe Bob
And the pet goat hates it.....

AFIK....there are some after market companies that advertise in the American Iron vintage mags that have a whole set including modern compressors and usch that toally kick ass on the 1970s CRAP they installed.....no need to cut a huge hole in the front trunk.
thomasotten
So, where do you get this "up to date" AC condensor, etc?
ClayPerrine
Just come to the MUSR Labor day weekend. You can ride in my wife's 914 that has air conditioning in it. It's a DPD system with an updated compressor and an R134a conversion.

dmenche914
No way is you seeing my front trunk, at least not until after the first date!
bmcwilli
I'll post a pic of my dpd tomorrow. The dpd condensor still allows the spare to sit under the carpeted board.

Try www.iceac.com if you're looking to install modern ac components.

Maybe Clay will tell us where he sourced his parts. I'm sure he's running a Sanden compressor.
JohnM
Here's a shot. Have 5 lug space saver mounted on bracket that fits over the cond. I will be removing cond. sometime in future and putting in GT style oil cooler and shroud. Will mount space saver vertically against fuel tank bulkhead at that time. All other AC components removed from this car, so cond. is just a hole filler for now. John
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (bmcwilli @ Jul 7 2005, 07:14 PM)
I'll post a pic of my dpd tomorrow. The dpd condensor still allows the spare to sit under the carpeted board.

Try www.iceac.com if you're looking to install modern ac components.

Maybe Clay will tell us where he sourced his parts. I'm sure he's running a Sanden compressor.

The system in Betty's car is a stock (AKA dealer installed) DPD system with one exception, the compressor. I replaced the compressor with a R-134a conversion kit from IceAC. I had the hoses rebuilt locally to change the ends to fit the compressor, and to install barrier hose. I put on a new dryer and o-rings. Then I charged it with 134a. It has been working for 5 years now, and I have not had to work on the system at all. After 5 years we are starting to see a drop in cooling effeciency, so I am going to service it before the ramble.

I am also going to look for a modern condenser to replace the stock one for more effeciency with the R-134a.

banksyinoz
with the suby conversion the radiator will go here and the spare will stand as such i havent mounted the radiator yet but you get the idea, there is also a brake booster beside the wheel
Automotive Hindenburg
My car has a DPD setup converted to R-134. Picture shows trunk without a spare. With a 911 spare the cover is right at the top of the hood latch.
Automotive Hindenburg
DPD without cover
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.