Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hazard Switch kills all flashing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ctc911ctc
'74, 2.0

I took the car into the gas station so I may donate 35 to the state of MA.

Car has not been on the road since late 80's.

All was good but the inspector pulled the hazard flasher......NOTHING headbang.gif

When the hazard flasher is pulled, the emergency brake flasher, left/right flasher, all stop working.

Going to check the power to the flasher.

Fuse checked out OK,

Seems like a quick fix, will advise once I figure this out.......sigh

Any thoughts?

914Sixer
Sounds like flasher is shorting out internally.
ctc911ctc
Perhaps - no fuse blown - me thinks perhaps an open circuit when the switch is pulled or no power to switch

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jan 16 2020, 02:25 PM) *

lierofox
QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Jan 16 2020, 11:36 AM) *

Perhaps - no fuse blown - me thinks perhaps an open circuit when the switch is pulled or no power to switch

The hazard switch is fed power from 2 sources:
Fuse 9 (when the key is on) when the hazard switch is pushed in, to provide power to the turn signals.
Fuse 11 when the hazard switch is pulled out.

Does your interior light come on with the doors open? Because that's fed from the same fuse 11.
ctc911ctc

FIXED

The fuse in position 11 was not copper but some type of aluminum/tin, etc.....

replaced with a good, new fuse.

Passed inspection -

First time this car has been on the road since the late 80s.

THANK YOU Lierofox pray.gif

QUOTE(lierofox @ Jan 16 2020, 03:58 PM) *

QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Jan 16 2020, 11:36 AM) *

The hazard switch is fed power from 2 sources:
Fuse 9 (when the key is on) when the hazard switch is pushed in, to provide power to the turn signals.
Fuse 11 when the hazard switch is pulled out.

Does your interior light come on with the doors open? Because that's fed from the same fuse 11.

Spoke
Glad you got the issue corrected.

With the 4-way flasher switch disengaged, the flashers are powered through fuse 9 and the ignition switch. Engaging the 4-ways transfers the power from fuse 9/ignition switch to fuse 11.
ctc911ctc
Looking at this it seems to me that the engineers were trying to reduce circuits, wiring, weight but at the same time introduced a few complexities. LOVE IT. Good German Engineering.

Thank You!

QUOTE(Spoke @ Jan 16 2020, 05:44 PM) *

Glad you got the issue corrected.

With the 4-way flasher switch disengaged, the flashers are powered through fuse 9 and the ignition switch. Engaging the 4-ways transfers the power from fuse 9/ignition switch to fuse 11.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.