Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '73 on fresh air box grill
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gulf908
Hi

I would like to fit a fresh air box grill to my May '70 914-6
before I go shopping for a grill and the seal,can someone confirm there should be no difficulty in doing this excercise please
I will be having a number of small jobs done when the gas tank is out soon and it will be timely to do this
would anyone be able to post a pic of an airbox out of the car and the grill fitted ?
anything else I need to complete ?

TIA
Dennis
bbrock
IPB Image

Also see this. It will save you a lot of problems:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uhs6pedBOXM
PanelBilly
The new seal is a bit of work to compress but that’s the hardest part
gulf908
many thanks guys

sometimes its hard to picture how this works from the parts cd
a further thought I had is to replace the ribbed drain pipes from the air box with some smooth plastic pipes
anyone done this ?
to my eyes,all the ribs do is to help accumulate leaves and debris and eventually clog the pipes - thoughts ?

cheers
Dennis smile.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(gulf908 @ Jan 16 2020, 08:15 PM) *

many thanks guys

sometimes its hard to picture how this works from the parts cd
a further thought I had is to replace the ribbed drain pipes from the air box with some smooth plastic pipes
anyone done this ?
to my eyes,all the ribs do is to help accumulate leaves and debris and eventually clog the pipes - thoughts ?

cheers
Dennis smile.gif

Even without the grill, I never had any problems with debris in the drain pipes. With the grill, I really don't see it being a problem. The drain pipes need to be flexible though to make the bends which is where the ribs help. Be careful taking the drain tubes off though because the nipples on the air box are not terribly hard to break off. If you look at the left side nipple on the pic I posted, you can see the gray JB Weld I used to reattach mine after it broke. Seems to be a solid repair and was easy to do, but would have been better to not break it in the first place.
914werke
AFAIK all the boxes are the same, so although a bitch to get in it should fit.
gulf908
thanks Brent
always learning

cheers
Dennis smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.