Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OEM Windshield Glass
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Str1974
Hi Guys, another question that you guys might answer for me. I have a cracked windshield and need replacing. Hagerty Insurance says they will replace OEM if that is what I had in my car previously, and aftermarket if that is what I had. I'm not the original owner (have had it 1.5 yrs.).

When I run a google search for Laminted F Kinonglas-Kristall-FIRA/F-HI, nothing pops up. It has a VW stamp on it and still no search results. Have seen pics of same with Audi/VW emblem, but none with only VW. Is this OEM for the 1974 Porsche 914 and where could I get that replacement? ThanksClick to view attachment
mtc911
Carbine...dont see those stickers too often...i cant answer your question but any chance that 914 was originally green? I have been searching all over to find a 74 green 914 i sold many years ago...had that exact sticker on the windshield

I am pretty certain the original glass had that logo/emblem on it but I am not an expert on that one. Check Automobile Atlanta. I believe they have glass
Str1974
QUOTE(mtc911 @ Jan 17 2020, 02:21 PM) *

Carbine...dont see those stickers too often...i cant answer your question but any chance that 914 was originally green? I have been searching all over to find a 74 green 914 i sold many years ago...had that exact sticker on the windshield

I am pretty certain the original glass had that logo/emblem on it but I am not an expert on that one. Check Automobile Atlanta. I believe they have glass

No, it looks like its always been red. Repainted before, very badly. Has taken me a long time to cut the paint to get it to look somewhat presentable.
mtc911
Don’t know if this helps but this is mine (also cracked) not sure if original or not
TravisNeff
Sekurit winsheilds? While not originally what they put on the 914 - thats what they used for the 911 and I am sure other models. There was a vendor on here selling them new.
Str1974
QUOTE(TravisNeff @ Jan 17 2020, 03:13 PM) *

Sekurit winsheilds? While not originally what they put on the 914 - thats what they used for the 911 and I am sure other models. There was a vendor on here selling them new.

It seems that there are several types with sekurit, Audi/VW kinonglas, VW kinoglas. It looks like kinonglas used to provide OEM for 1960's Mercedes. Now trying to convince insurance what OEM is seems to be harder.
bbrock
You might try checking with a Porsche dealer. Not long ago somebody said you could still get windshields from the dealer but I just plugged both part numbers into the Sunset website and got nada. confused24.gif
aharder
I replaced mine last year and it was OEM, check with Park Place Porsche
on Lemmon Ave.
mepstein
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jan 17 2020, 08:06 PM) *

You might try checking with a Porsche dealer. Not long ago somebody said you could still get windshields from the dealer but I just plugged both part numbers into the Sunset website and got nada. confused24.gif

Our local Porsche dealer gets them from Germany. Takes about 2 weeks but they cover shipping. The dealership can search the whole Porsche database, not just what’s in the USA.
jim_hoyland
IIRC Sierra Madre, a Cal member vendor carries the good ones.

See: https://sierramadrecollection.com/914-914-6...ody/Glass-c458/
rgalla9146
That is absolutely the original windshild installed at the factory.
When you remove it you can find the date of manufacture on the edge of the glass.
You should go to the dealer and ask for a Porsche supplied replacement.
You might even be able to find the date after removing the trim.
Hagerty should cover it.
rgalla9146
another showing the '74' better
Str1974
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jan 17 2020, 09:44 PM) *

That is absolutely the original windshild installed at the factory.
When you remove it you can find the date of manufacture on the edge of the glass.
You should go to the dealer and ask for a Porsche supplied replacement.
You might even be able to find the date after removing the trim.
Hagerty should cover it.

Thanks, I will do that.
Str1974
QUOTE(aharder @ Jan 17 2020, 07:18 PM) *

I replaced mine last year and it was OEM, check with Park Place Porsche
on Lemmon Ave.

Thanks I will do that.
bandjoey
Mayo performance in Euless by DFW got the original from Porsche and did the installation. Haderty paid no questions. About $700 parts and $200 install. I think. I also ordered new trim from Sierra Madre and it was installed at the same time. Excellent work and a 914 shop
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.