Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1 day to Werks Reunion/Amelia
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
stevegm
4 days to Amelia!

I thought I’d start a thread for anyone getting your car ready for Werks Reunion/Amelia Island. I’d love hear about your progress. If you’re like me, you probably need some encouragement. I have no idea how a I will get the car ready in time. headbang.gif But a deadline with some accountability will help. evilgrin.gif My goal is to do something on it every day. We will see.

So where are you on getting your car ready?

Here is where I am starting:
I made some more room in the garage and got it turned around today. But family duties kept me from getting anything else done.

Here is what I need to do in the next month or so:

Get engine in
Get engine running - rebuilt, but never run but for a few minutes at most
Install carbs
Pull the alternator back out because I get spark when I hook up battery - back plate of alternator grounding out?
Put side windows and wing windows back in - Uggg
Install new rubber
Install windshield
Install rear window
Install engine lid and 3 powder coated grills
Install headlight covers
Install side rocker covers
Install chrome
Get new tires mounted on wheels
Install master cylinder/bleed brakes
Install shifter hook shift rod up
Install interior - carpet, back pad, etc.
Install new steering wheel

I think that pretty much covers it.
Tdskip
Please do keep us posted - lots of to but very doable I think Focusing on the mechanical stuff would probably be a good idea.
DRPHIL914
Crap is it that soon?? Well, off we go. You have a lot but very doable , for sure a few late nights and weekends .
I have to re-do the targa bar vinyl and get new tires on my 7” rims for rear, that’s about it for me. Keep posting - maybe you can get some help? We are som much more spread out than the west coast guys but if you are in the Charlotte NC area there are a few of us in SC and NC not far away maybe one weekend can help get those windows and interior back in place.

Phil
BENBRO02
I need to do the following:

Adjust the valves
Change the oil
Replace a noisy rear wheel bearing

There are also other things I could do but probably won't get to them. The heater/defroster fan doesn't work, the headlight mechanisms need to be taken apart and greased.

Amelia Island is only 678 miles from my house and my wife said she would go with me. What could go wrong?

It's cold out there, I need a relatively warm day.
stevend914
I think I'm set to go - oil leak from Vermont/Okteenerfest trip repaired so fingers crossed. I'll find out the week before - driving to Texas for Hill Country Rallye.
VaccaRabite
I'm so far behind. Lots of little things that I want to do that I had planned to do on the lift - thats is still in the box...
And took apart my WRX and that needs to go back together first.
Chances are I'll just be driving down in the 4Runner.

Zach
stevegm
Ok, so zero progress since my first post. Now it is 35 days to Amelia.

In fairness, I knew I wouldn't get much done over the past 2 weeks, with the Daytona race being last week. So I am starting in earnest this weekend.

Tomorrow's goals:
1. Figure out what parts I need to finish the car, so they can be ordered to arrive on time.
2. Get the engine back in.
3. Start to tackle the rubber. Last time I started to put it in, it didn't seem to fit correctly. Plus I am not too keen on gluing it in. I'd rather be able to take it out to make sure water isn't standing in the rubber channels around the hood. But, it doesn't seem like that is an option. I guess they have to be glued in?
poorsche914
I am in the beginning stages of swapping the 2056 from my LE into my '73 GT-flared car.

So far, I have dropped the engine from the LE. I need to clean it up, replace the rear seal, change oil and filter, change spark plugs, and adjust the valves before reinstalling.

Will be dropping the supercharged engine from the '73 this weekend and putting it aside for eventual update to a megasquirt system.
Before installing the 2056 will clean up the engine bay.

Also want to tidy up the interior. It isn't too bad but want to at least add a stereo since tunes will be nice to have on the drive to Florida.

Hope to have the '73 on the road by mid-February to give me time to drive it and work any unknown bugs out.

driving.gif
stevend914
Not has ready a I thought...need to replace the seat belts in the orange car. Hopefully get that done Sunday/Monday since it'll be much warmer than the 40 degrees it is today.
stevegm
Engine is back in. Single carb is just to break it in, while I get the dual carbs ready.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(stevegm @ Feb 1 2020, 03:01 PM) *

Engine is back in. Single carb is just to break it in, while I get the dual carbs ready.

That’s a big step Steve!!!! Have you taken those new red wheels in to get tires yet??
For sure take car of mechanicals first, if it’s safe to run and drive, drivetrain is set, the interior and other cosmetics can be done later once you know it can drive.
stevegm
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Feb 1 2020, 03:36 PM) *

QUOTE(stevegm @ Feb 1 2020, 03:01 PM) *

That’s a big step Steve!!!! Have you taken those new red wheels in to get tires yet??
For sure take car of mechanicals first, if it’s safe to run and drive, drivetrain is set, the interior and other cosmetics can be done later once you know it can drive.

Thanks. I do need to get tires and have them mounted. I actually can't remember what size tires I was going to go with. I need to figure that out again. I don't want to get tires and then not have them fit under the stock fenders.

Rubber - did you glue yours in? I hate to glue it in the channel. I'd like to be able to pull it back out and dry the channels out. But, the rubber doesn't seem to fit quite right. So I may have to glue it in.
rgalla9146
Anyone from the North East driving to Amelia ?
I'm seriously considering driving south in my GT project car.
About thirteen hour spin for me.
BENBRO02
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Feb 1 2020, 08:23 PM) *

My wife and I will be leaving northern Virginia either Wednesday after work or early Thursday morning. We're planning on driving my 914.
VaccaRabite
Still have not done any work to my car. But I did take it for a 30 mile spin the other day while it was warm and there did not seem to be any salt on the road.

Zach
rgalla9146

Next question
The Cars and coffee is free to anyone in a Porsche....just drive in ?
Arrive at what time to be sure of entry ?
Any info from experience is appreciated.
TIA
Rory

poorsche914
Supercharger removed (man, that thing is heavy!) and gearbox out. Will remove the engine this evening.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

driving.gif
JFJ914
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Feb 4 2020, 08:42 AM) *

Next question
The Cars and coffee is free to anyone in a Porsche....just drive in ?

No, Cars & Coffee is free to spectate. Car entry is by invitation only after you send in a mail request. That closed in December.

Arrive at what time to be sure of entry ? The event is almost all day, find parking (that's the hard part) and walk in.

Any info from experience is appreciated.
TIA
Rory

stevend914
...and now the car won't start... hissyfit.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(stevend914 @ Feb 5 2020, 11:23 AM) *

Symptoms?
Work the basics.

Zach
stevegm
Confession: Not much progress on the 914 in the past 12 days. We installed a bunch of new equipment in our company’s shop and that has taken a lot of time to get set up. Now it is only 23 days to Amelia. This should be interesting.

I did get the dual carbs/linkage out, started laying out rubber, etc., and ordered the butyl for the windshield and rear window. I’m hoping to make monumental progress this weekend. We will see. I found the 5/16” (8mm) Butyl online last night, and bought the 3M windshield primer at the local Napa.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(stevegm @ Feb 12 2020, 09:13 AM) *

Confession: Not much progress on the 914 in the past 12 days. We installed a bunch of new equipment in our company’s shop and that has taken a lot of time to get set up. Now it is only 23 days to Amelia. This should be interesting.

I did get the dual carbs/linkage out, started laying out rubber, etc., and ordered the butyl for the windshield and rear window. I’m hoping to make monumental progress this weekend. We will see.

good luck, steve! I can come up next Saturday and help you out, this weekend I have a honey do list and I have to get my rear suspension set and get the new tires/wheels on the rear, and ride hight and alignment, then sail panel vinyl installed, if I get all that done this weekend I will be ready to go for ameila, other than intall my new matching duffle bags poke.gif and clean and polish!!!

Phil

just get the wheels on and the motor running, you can drive it with out windows lol-2.gif (well for safety you better have that front window in I guess)
stevegm
I’m trying to find the little clips that hold the windshield in. I know I have some. I assume these are them? And they go in before the windshield?
stevegm
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Feb 12 2020, 09:31 AM) *

QUOTE(stevegm @ Feb 12 2020, 09:13 AM) *

I did get the dual carbs/linkage out, started laying out rubber, etc., and ordered the butyl for the windshield and rear window. I’m hoping to make monumental progress this weekend. We will see.

good luck, steve! I can come up next Saturday and help you out, this weekend I have a honey do list and I have to get my rear suspension set and get the new tires/wheels on the rear, and ride hight and alignment, then sail panel vinyl installed, if I get all that done this weekend I will be ready to go for ameila, other than intall my new matching duffle bags poke.gif and clean and polish!!!

Phil

I’m going to need more than luck. :-)

We got so many orders for bags that they kinda took over a lot of my time the last couple of weeks. Setting up systems for them. Anyway, that is all up and running, and bags are shipping. So back to the 914 a little.
DRPHIL914
those are the clips, and you want to put those in before the window, I found out having sapped a few off that its very hard if not impossible to get them in after the window is in place
BENBRO02
Be careful with the windshield installation. I pressed on mine to set the butyl seal and crack it. An expensive mistake!
stevegm
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Feb 12 2020, 09:44 AM) *

those are the clips, and you want to put those in before the window, I found out having sapped a few off that its very hard if not impossible to get them in after the window is in place

Thanks. Maybe a dumb question - which end goes in the hole in the channel on the car? I just want to make sure I get it right before the windshield goes in.

Also, I think you said you have some extra rubber pieces left over. Let me know what you have and I’ll probably take it off your hands.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(stevegm @ Feb 12 2020, 10:55 AM) *

Thanks. Maybe a dumb question - which end goes in the hole in the channel on the car? I just want to make sure I get it right before the windshield goes in.

Also, I think you said you have some extra rubber pieces left over. Let me know what you have and I’ll probably take it off your hands.

the clip will go in with the bevel side up, pin is out, once the clip is pushed into the hole you push the pin in to hold it into place.

I do have lots of bits, some seals and extra e-brake connector covers, targa top holders for trunk, etc etc, seals for tail lights, side marker lenses, wiper blades, too many things to listl I have most stuff in 2 bins I can throw them in my truck when I come up and you can go thru it all and see if you need anything. most stuff is new, either 914rubber or URO, some extra rear targa seals too, license plate light seals,
=------
DRPHIL914
one more thing, you might want to test those windshield retaining clips , because they get brittle with age, and the first set they made at 914rubber were hard but brittle and so I had half a dozen of them snap off on me tryin to get them to hold the trim in place. Mark and Matt have since cured that issue and now use a different material so this is not an issue with their newest ones, but I actually reused some of my original ones because I didn't have enough with out ordering new ones and like you I had like 2 weeks to finish my job to get the car to Okteenerfest that year.

just be careful and test one for flexibility . you should be able to bend the pin without snapping in 2 pieces, same with the clip.

Phil
poorsche914
Had to fly to Vegas for work for a week but was able to get the 2056 installed in the '73 before I left. Still need to connect wiring, clutch and accell and speedo cables, and fuel lines to carbs plus shift linkage and other assorted items.
Click to view attachment

Should get home just in time for my new Triad exhaust to arrive piratenanner.gif
Click to view attachment

driving.gif
stevegm
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Feb 12 2020, 12:32 PM) *

the clip will go in with the bevel side up, pin is out, once the clip is pushed into the hole you push the pin in to hold it into place.

I do have lots of bits, some seals and extra e-brake connector covers, targa top holders for trunk, etc etc, seals for tail lights, side marker lenses, wiper blades, too many things to listl I have most stuff in 2 bins I can throw them in my truck when I come up and you can go thru it all and see if you need anything. most stuff is new, either 914rubber or URO, some extra rear targa seals too, license plate light seals,
=------

So the end with the red arrow in the picture below goes in the hole in the windshield channel on the car? Then you push the round pin on the opposite side (blue arrow) in to hold it?

And the side that is beveled goes up/out?
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(stevegm @ Feb 12 2020, 07:39 PM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Feb 12 2020, 12:32 PM) *

=------

So the end with the red arrow in the picture below goes in the hole in the windshield channel on the car? Then you push the round pin on the opposite side (blue arrow) in to hold it?

And the side that is beveled goes up/out?

Yes
MJHanna
QUOTE(stevend914 @ Jan 19 2020, 03:03 PM) *

I think I'm set to go - oil leak from Vermont/Okteenerfest trip repaired so fingers crossed. I'll find out the week before - driving to Texas for Hill Country Rallye.
Steve are you going from HCR to Amelia? I'll be at HCR but probably not taking the 914 as I'm failing to talk my wife into taking the 914 vs the Carrera. I'm leaving Dallas on Wednesday to make it to the Werks event on Friday.
Mark
stevend914
QUOTE(MJHanna @ Feb 12 2020, 08:54 PM) *

QUOTE(stevend914 @ Jan 19 2020, 03:03 PM) *

Steve are you going from HCR to Amelia? I'll be at HCR but probably not taking the 914 as I'm failing to talk my wife into taking the 914 vs the Carrera. I'm leaving Dallas on Wednesday to make it to the Werks event on Friday.
Mark

Yes, I plan on getting to Jacksonville by Tuesday night. Hope for a round of golf on Wed, going to Brumos museum on Thurs.
URY914
If you're staying until Sunday I hope you bought your tickets early. The price is going up.

General Admission Adult: $100 – Purchased October 15 - January 31, 2020
General Admission Adult: $125 – Purchased Feb.1-March 7, 2020
General Admission Adult: $150 – Purchased at the Gate/Day of Event
General Admission Youth 13-17 years old: $60 (12 and under free w/paying adult)
Active Duty Military and Dependents with Active Duty ID: $60 each available on-site only
bahnzai
Is that price for the Werks Reunion Amelia Island event?
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(URY914 @ Feb 13 2020, 08:03 PM) *

If you're staying until Sunday I hope you bought your tickets early. The price is going up.

General Admission Adult: $100 – Purchased October 15 - January 31, 2020
General Admission Adult: $125 – Purchased Feb.1-March 7, 2020
General Admission Adult: $150 – Purchased at the Gate/Day of Event
General Admission Youth 13-17 years old: $60 (12 and under free w/paying adult)
Active Duty Military and Dependents with Active Duty ID: $60 each available on-site only
QUOTE(bahnzai @ Feb 14 2020, 04:29 PM) *

Is that price for the Werks Reunion Amelia Island event?

No that’s for the Concours Sunday
Werks is free, Coral was $60 but is not closed so parking out in road and walk in, but free so is the cars and coffee Saturday for general attendance.
stevegm
It may be Valentine’s Day, but I’ve brought a piece of my car with me to dinner to keep focused on getting it done. Back to working on getting it ready for Amelia tomorrow. I mainly got parts organized this week. I’m hoping to maa as is a lot of progress this weekend.
stevegm
Dented the engine lid and cracked the paint, in three places, putting the grill on. Things are going well. headbang.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(stevegm @ Feb 15 2020, 03:17 PM) *

Dented the engine lid and cracked the paint, in three places, putting the grill on. Things are going well. headbang.gif

Man that sucks, been there done that, but you can fix that later.
Keep on moving forward
Freezin 914
QUOTE(stevegm @ Feb 14 2020, 08:24 PM) *

It may be Valentine’s Day, but I’ve brought a piece of my car with me to dinner to keep focused on getting it done. Back to working on getting it ready for Amelia tomorrow. I mainly got parts organized this week. I’m hoping to maa as is a lot of progress this weekend.

Ok, I need to know how to get shoes like this! idea.gif
stevegm
QUOTE(Freezin 914 @ Feb 16 2020, 11:11 AM) *

QUOTE(stevegm @ Feb 14 2020, 08:24 PM) *

Ok, I need to know how to get shoes like this! idea.gif

We made them. Last year I bought a company that manufactures gear for aviators. We have been adding a line of motoring gear, in Porsche cloths - bags, tool wraps, totes, etc. Those shoes are prototypes. They match my seats. biggrin.gif
DRPHIL914
18 day! I finally got the rear in the air and got the shocks set at the height I like with the 7’s. I am in sworn to last high on the Bilistein with about 1.5degree of camber on both sides. There is just a bit more room in right, which is just a difference with metal work when the fenders were repaired I think. Now I could drop it back Lowe one slot and that outlet add about a degree more of negative camber and a quarter inch more room at top of wheel from the fender buy the front is as low as it could go with out having to reindeer my torsion bar and adjusting cap and screw. And with the front sitting about 1/2” lower than rear I like how it not stands . Maybe later I will go thru all that trouble since it does sit higher than stock factory specs called for, but for now it’s fine. No time as there are other things to do- like replace the sail panel vinyl- these 2 projects took the past 2 days! But worth the work.
The new German sail panel vinyl looks good, thanks Mark and Matt @914rubber
Last few pics before doing a full once over cleaning- would’ve known that 2 weeks before we go to Amelia that the pollen comes out!! It will be almost impossible to keep clean - will have to stay covered up in the garage for
sure.

It sits pretty good I’d say, getting close to being done, timing adjustment oil change and some accessories to add(Steve’ bags etc!) ad I’m ready to hit the road.
billh1963
You need to quit using talk to text Software. poke.gif ....I can’t read half of this because there are so many errors it’s hard to follow.

That being said, your car looks fantastic!!!

Is your sail panel trim original? It looks new.
stevend914
QUOTE(stevend914 @ Feb 1 2020, 07:44 AM) *

Not has ready a I thought...need to replace the seat belts in the orange car. Hopefully get that done Sunday/Monday since it'll be much warmer than the 40 degrees it is today.

Well I got that done later than planned.
VaccaRabite
So my trip has been cancelled. :-/
The owner of the property I rented (and paid for) months ago cancelled my reservation yesterday. I spent the evening trying to figure out if I had any recourse, and it seems that I don’t. At least not through the rental company (which the owner apparently fired).

On a positive note, at least procrastinating on buying tickets and stuff paid off. :-/

Take lots of pics.

Zach
DRPHIL914
bummer- there are still rooms available at the hotel some of us are staying at, and its right next to the meet spot for the group drive in on friday morning- check holiday Inn Express, i can pass on the address/location for you if interested.
stevend914
QUOTE(stevend914 @ Feb 5 2020, 10:23 AM) *

driving.gif 26 degrees this morning and it started first try driving.gif

piratenanner.gif And Friday morning, 16 degrees and again started first try cheer.gif

It's off to Texas on Wed
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Feb 20 2020, 09:11 AM) *

bummer- there are still rooms available at the hotel some of us are staying at, and its right next to the meet spot for the group drive in on friday morning- check holiday Inn Express, i can pass on the address/location for you if interested.

Thanks bud, but no. The place I had was on the island, on the ocean. I could do Car stuff. GF could do ocean stuff when she got bored of cars. I’ve done the Amelia thing a few times now, and a Holiday Inn just wasn’t what I was looking for this time, if that makes sense. We can save the vacation time and use it somewhere else.

Zach
stevegm
The good news? For the most part, I’ve gotten all of the rubber, bolts, nuts, little parts, and other bits together to finish the car. The bad news? Ive made no actual assembly progress over the past week, except installing some rubber.

Each Friday I say that “this weekend I have to make considerable progress.” But it rarely happens. And completely denting my newly painted engine lid last weekend took all of the wind out of my sails.

At this point I have to wonder - How complete does it HAVE to be?

I am focused on mechanicals now. So here is where I am at:

Engine is in, but isn’t running and now runs
Set timing
Master cylinder needs to be connected and bled
Rear shift rod needs to be installed
Shifter needs to be installed
Hook up new fuel lines
Throttle cable
Clutch cable
Half shafts need to be installed
Headlight eyebrows
Windshield needs to be installed
Rear window needs to be installed
Side windows need to be installed
Sand/Paint extra trunk lid and mount luggage rack
Install new tires on wheels
Install chrome/rubber on windshield frame
Put rear firewall pad back in
Install carpet
Install door panels
Install rear trunk latch
Put mirrors on

This weekend I have to make considerable progress!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.