Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wipers don’t work
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malcolm2
2nd time happening. I move the wiper lever and no movement.

Last time I pulled the steering wheel, unplugged all 3 connectors, re connected and everything worked. I figured the wiper plug came lose, so I added some duct tape. Connector to connector and they wiped.

Damn wipers stopped again tonight.

What am i missing?
ctc911ctc
This happened to me as well - after ringing everything out I am buying a new switch, I found that the wipers would work if I put the handle in between the 1st and second position which made me believe that the electrical connections are perhaps a bit worn...

Cheep part BTW,

C

QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Jan 18 2020, 11:18 PM) *

2nd time happening. I move the wiper lever and no movement.

Last time I pulled the steering wheel, unplugged all 3 connectors, re connected and everything worked. I figured the wiper plug came lose, so I added some duct tape. Connector to connector and they wiped.

Damn wipers stopped again to night.

What am i missing?

Mark Henry
Spin the fuse in the holder, if it works replace the fuse, but what you really need to do is disconnect the whole fuse block and soak it in vinegar to clean it. Then replace and use all new fuses.
malcolm2
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 19 2020, 09:45 AM) *

Spin the fuse in the holder, if it works replace the fuse, but what you really need to do is disconnect the whole fuse block and soak it in vinegar to clean it. Then replace and use all new fuses.

I have the upgraded fuse box with the blade type fuses. Installed in 2012.

I just pulled the wheel, switches, etc.... unplugged and re-plugged. Turn the key on, hit the wiper lever and the wipers worked.

Guess I will look for that switch. part #s welcomed wink.gif
Mark Henry
111953519G
VW part number, 1974 up 914, beetle, ghia, thing...
malcolm2
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 19 2020, 01:59 PM) *

111953519G
VW part number, 1974 up 914, beetle, ghia, thing...

I found CIP1.com has several versions, all on sale.... Best price i found so far.

$70 german 6 pin, $50 repop 6pin, and my current switch has 6 male connectors. Funny, cause my plug (female) only has 5. The extra wire goes to the washer contacts and I assume the electric pump connector. The pin lands outside of the female connector. I don't even have the washer bottle or hoses in the car.

https://www2.cip1.com/SearchResults.asp?Sea...-519&sort=7

Guess I need to round up $30 worth of stuff to get free shipping. piratenanner.gif
malcolm2
I installed the CIP1 wiper switch. It seems like a quality piece. The arm is pot metal, I guess. It is a heavy part. Looks and feels just like the one I am replacing.

However, I am guessing that there must be a relay problem too. I am no electrician. But I can follow directions pretty well.

So the wipers do not "find home" now. The wipers turn on and off, they go to high and low just fine. But when the lever goes to OFF, the wipers stop right where they are.

Is that the new switch or an old relay?
StarBear
Yeah, that happened to me once a long time ago. Did the simple fix - removed the wiper arms and repositioned them to the correct postion. Maybe didn't fix the original problem, but have been working fine (when I use them which is like almost never as I don't take it out when any clouds east of Ohio...) ever since.
malcolm2
QUOTE(StarBear @ Jan 24 2020, 09:34 AM) *

Yeah, that happened to me once a long time ago. Did the simple fix - removed the wiper arms and repositioned them to the correct postion. Maybe didn't fix the original problem, but have been working fine (when I use them which is like almost never as I don't take it out when any clouds east of Ohio...) ever since.

If they stopped at the same place everytime, that would solve it. But they stop where ever they are.

I am with you. I never go out if it is raining. But i do get caught in the rain when out. Drove 6 hours this summer for a 4 day golf trip. Of course it rained on the car the last night and the whole drive home.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Jan 24 2020, 09:43 AM) *

QUOTE(StarBear @ Jan 24 2020, 09:34 AM) *

If they stopped at the same place everytime, that would solve it. But they stop where ever they are.

I am with you. I never go out if it is raining. But i do get caught in the rain when out. Drove 6 hours this summer for a 4 day golf trip. Of course it rained on the car the last night and the whole drive home.

There is a circular "wiper contact" in the windshield wiper circuit that is supposed to keep the power on to the wiper motor when the wipers are not in the park position. If it is not receiving power, the wipers will work, but won't park when turned off.

Very similar to how the headlight motors work.
malcolm2
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 24 2020, 01:58 PM) *

There is a circular "wiper contact" in the windshield wiper circuit that is supposed to keep the power on to the wiper motor when the wipers are not in the park position. If it is not receiving power, the wipers will work, but won't park when turned off.

Very similar to how the headlight motors work.

that makes sense. I suppose that contact is in the wiper motor? I sure don't see it or a mention of it on my wiring diagram.

And I wonder why that problem shows up with a new switch installed and never with the old switch?
ClayPerrine
Maybe you have the switch mis-wired. I know that a lot of the replacement wiper switches have to have the plastic sleeve removed from the wires, and the one from the old switch installed to fit in the column. So maybe you swapped two wires when you did that?
malcolm2
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 24 2020, 11:11 PM) *

Maybe you have the switch mis-wired. I know that a lot of the replacement wiper switches have to have the plastic sleeve removed from the wires, and the one from the old switch installed to fit in the column. So maybe you swapped two wires when you did that?

I just pulled it out of the box and installed it. No wiring mods.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.