Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Air filter box similar to 914 2.0
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
AndySomogyi
Hey All,

I'm swapping in a built N/A Subaru 2.5 (~210 hp), but I'd like to keep as stock, or at least period correct look and style as possible. So, I'd like to stay with an early 70's stamped metal air filter box. Really want a stamped metal box, I don't care for the look of the plastic boxes.

I like the look of the 914 2.0 box, I think it would look really good there, and it's the exact style that I want. I suspect it's probably a bit small for a 200 hp motor though.

So, I'm trying to find something with a similar style.

Note, I'm modifying the intake manifold to have the throttle body in the top, just like the 914.

I've thought about maybe a Datsun 280Z airbox (it's square, slightly bigger), or maybe a BMW 2002 air filter (round style, sits on top of the motor). There are lots of round style that I can easily adapt. But I don't know, I kind of like the look of the square one, that sits off to the side.

So, the air boxes that I've looked at are:
  1. BMW e28 - its a square style, that might work.
  2. Datsun 280Z -- square style, might work
  3. BMW 2002, Mercedes with round style, would fit.
  4. Datsun 240Z, - oval style, fits on top.
  5. 2.0 914 - like this the best, but probably too small.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
Fab in a bigger snorkel and pipe to the TB. smash.gif welder.gif smash.gif
AndySomogyi
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 19 2020, 02:43 PM) *

Fab in a bigger snorkel and pipe to the TB. smash.gif welder.gif smash.gif

That's the approach I'm leaning towards. Bigger snorkel and TB tube is easy. I'm just not sure if the air filter itself is big enough, or it would cause too much intake restriction.

But yeah, I like this airbox, think it looks the best, and they're pretty easy to find.
Chris914n6
Filter size is fine. Inlet and outlet air holes will need to be bigger -- at least the size of the TB.
Johny Blackstain
Not to stir up any hornets but K&N makes a perfect fit, high flow filter for the box. Larger snorkel & tb seat should not affect the fit of the filter inside the box. And to satisfy the hornets, I'm sure someone else makes a perfect fit, high flow filter that fits. OEM Mann filter would likely be pretty restrictive.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.