Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Powder coat on Triad muffler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Olympic 914
Just dropped my muffler off at the local powder coat shop. One guy there expressed concern with the heat and another thought it would be ok.

I don't really know how hot the Triad muffler gets while running. I do have the SS HEs. so some cooling of the exhaust is happening before it gets to the muffler portion.

don't have any ceramic coating places around that I am aware of, or I would go that route.

Has anyone had their Triad, or other muffler powder coated ? An I just asking for problems here?
Mark Henry
I had high heat "header" powdercoat done on my bug headers, I don't think it lasted a whole season.
Headers the paint was gone first, 2nd year most of the muffler was bare as well. Have had better luck with BBQ paint.
The ceramic like Jet Hot is the best, my MSDS /6 headers are a stained but the coating is standing up real good.
Nogoodwithusernames
When I was talking to Dave before ordering mine he said he uses VHT "cast iron" paint. Not sure what your end goal is but that is a proven solution.
mepstein
Cerikote is the solution.
DRPHIL914
I cleaned mine up and stripped off old stuff and then did high heat primer and high heat silver metallic paint - 2 years ago and so far absolutely no pealing or bubbling- still like I just did it. Takes some work - you could ceramic coat it , Jet Hot Coat or such or what Mark suggested. I did it myself, so far so good
Olympic 914
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Jan 21 2020, 10:10 AM) *

I cleaned mine up and stripped off old stuff and then did high heat primer and high heat silver metallic paint - 2 years ago and so far absolutely no pealing or bubbling- still like I just did it. Takes some work - you could ceramic coat it , Jet Hot Coat or such or what Mark suggested. I did it myself, so far so good

I was hoping you would chime in. I saw yours and it looked good. I thought you had it ceramic coated.

I have used the high heat VHT paint and the back was getting chipped up, probably from the stones hitting it. For now I am going with the high heat powder coat. I originally wanted to do it in a silver color, but they only have the high heat in a satin black. supposed to be good for 800 deg. so that's what I will get.

Considered the Jet Hot Coat because of the availability of silver color. That may be an option for another year or so if this doesn't pan out. for now I didn't want to ship out my muffler to have it done.
VaccaRabite
powder coat will just melt off. don't bother with it.

Lots of PC shops also do ceramic coating. That IS the way to go. It also keeps most of the heat in the exhaust (pipes don't get as hot, heat goes out the tail pipe). Ceramic is far and away what you want to use.
Zach
DRPHIL914
This was my second attempt, and has fared better. First time like 5-6 years ago I didn’t prep it and clean it good enough I think. It was a lot of work but results were better. I documented with pics on my rebuild thread. Anyway I found the silver high temp paint at Home Depot and at Autozone.
914_teener
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Jan 21 2020, 07:28 AM) *

powder coat will just melt off. don't bother with it.

Lots of PC shops also do ceramic coating. That IS the way to go. It also keeps most of the heat in the exhaust (pipes don't get as hot, heat goes out the tail pipe). Ceramic is far and away what you want to use.
Zach

+1

Also....with entropy with an insulating ceramic coating the exhaust will be more efficient.

Hot rodders used to wrap the merged collectors with insulating wrap to achieve better flow.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.