Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: where does it stop?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dr914@autoatlanta.com
all 914s are worth saving if you really really love yours

Click to view attachment
Superhawk996
Psh! Mine is worse than that! laugh.gif

I'd be happy if that were my starting point.
mb911
George,

There are allot of us that have saved worse..

@superhawk996
@bbrock

Are just a few of us that have or are knee deep into this. There are a few things I would have done differently on mine but overall pretty happy with it..

This one looks like cake.. I really hate it when I see these car's junked.. They are not making new ones anymore and with the parts you and @peteyd make I really think 90% of them should be saved..
bkrantz
It only stops when the last old car/914/DIY fans get too old to wrench and weld.

Fortunately, there are a few younger followers out there, including my 25 year old son (and indentured welder).
Bruce Edge
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 20 2020, 05:57 PM) *

Click to view attachment

If the sales prices keep going up we will see lots more of the rough ones being saved.
I came from the 356 restoration world, we all know where that has gone. They are restoring cars from a door post with a tag left.
I think that is why I now enjoy 914 so much, plenty affordable used parts and a great network of people that are about driving and enjoying the cars instead of show me da money..
Andyrew
George,

What bracing do YOU use when your doing rust repair to that level? Surely a door brace is not sufficient...

I would imagine you guys have a bench or a jig?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
yes we have a bench, many other braces (like the top brace) and a frame machine and measuring sticks. We are constantly measuring while we do the work so there are no mistakes.

Years ago I was welding the battery area in my 914-6 with acetylene and prided myself in how well I could swing a torch (LOL). Got the whole job done beautifully and then tried to shut the passenger door!!!! The hole was too small, I had shrunken the car with the heat!!! Had to put it on a frame machine and stretch it back out. Learned a good lesson A measuring stick is your friend and should be used often

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jan 21 2020, 09:30 AM) *

George,

What bracing do YOU use when your doing rust repair to that level? Surely a door brace is not sufficient...

ctc911ctc
Observation

With the exception of the HellHole, it is interesting how all 914s rust differently. These Longs are dead but the floorpans look great!

My 74 was completely the opposite. Longs were great (hell hole exception) and the floor pans were very holy.

Thanks George!

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 20 2020, 05:57 PM) *

Click to view attachment

mbseto
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jan 21 2020, 11:30 AM) *

George,

I made a dolly that holds the car at the suspension points, and of course door braces. Like in this case, the longs had to be completely cut from the car and replaced. I wanted to make sure the front and back halves of the car would neither translate nor rotate when the longs were severed. Won't know how effective my dolly is for a little while yet. I am measuring the door openings constantly as I work.
Andyrew
QUOTE(mbseto @ Jan 21 2020, 11:57 AM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jan 21 2020, 11:30 AM) *

George,

I made a dolly that holds the car at the suspension points, and of course door braces. Like in this case, the longs had to be completely cut from the car and replaced. I wanted to make sure the front and back halves of the car would neither translate nor rotate when the longs were severed. Won't know how effective my dolly is for a little while yet. I am measuring the door openings constantly as I work.

This is what I would have expected.. The pic just looks like its on a 2 post with a door brace which is why I was concerned. I know they work on a lot of 914s so Im sure they had more than just what was pictured.
Jamie
I have alway at first been sickened to see some of the beginning rustoration projects displayed here, then filled with admiration at the efforts and skills reguired to bring these cars back from the brink of the crushers! Many of you craftsmen are heroes to the rest of us, many projects inspiring hope that nearly all these little cars can survive. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.