Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gauge Bezel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Highland
I've seen the old threads on removing the gauge bezels for glass cleaning and gauge repair. I tried this on my combo gauge and buggered the bezel, although it is still usable. I was wondering if there is an updated technique.

Also, are these bezels available anywhere for sale? I already checked with Palo Alto Speedometer.
914forme
Ah no, small tool gently pry around the lip. I then take some small pliers with smooth jaws and shape the metal back into proper shape.

Getting them back on, take a hard wood dowel and roll the edge bit over the flange while pushing the cup down on a towel on a solid surface. Gently continue moving the metal gently for best results.

Video on how to do it.

I am sure VDO makes a press to do this. This is how the factories do it now.

But I have an idea for one with replacement rings. LOL, I would need 5 dies and most likely about 25 rings to get it the way I would want it, and then a fixture for a small lever press.

Something similar to these two for installation

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

And if you have a lathe getting the bezel off is easy, as is installing a different one. But cutting the bezel off is only done when it is stuck hard, or someone has epoxied it onto the can. headbang.gif

JawjaPorsche
Our 914 guru Ian Karr explains how to do it:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r3xJxEiIlIQ&a...x=5&t=12sCx
Retroracer
Guys - thanks for posting these; a nice reference for those Who Mess With Gauges.

Stephen - particularly impressed with your rotary resealing press design!

- Tony

914forme
@Retrorace Tony thank you. If you have not noticed I have a problem with tools and over engineering solutions. screwy.gif To me it is just right.

Version 2.0 I will use a DC lathe motor and spindle to drive it at slow speeds, one lets thing to have to do. LOL.

Thinking about it, I might just build a tool for the lathe, chuck it up, and use the tailstock to apply the pressure keeping everything centered and seated, and add the wheel to tool post . Then I could do it via CNC.

Version 4, screwy.gif see that's how my brain works, and why I redo everything several times.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.