Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trace previous owner
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kroelofsen
Hi,
I'm busy restoring my 914 1.8 from 12/73... The car is imported from USA to The Netherlands last year. Is it possible to find the previous owner? Would be nice to know who owned the car, perhaps exchange some information etc.

The license plate is/was:
Click to view attachment

VIN: 474 2911 907
budk
QUOTE(kroelofsen @ Jan 22 2020, 02:07 PM) *

Hi,
I'm busy restoring my 914 1.8 from 12/73... The car is imported from USA to The Netherlands last year. Is it possible to find the previous owner? Would be nice to know who owned the car, perhaps exchange some information etc.

You might have better luck searching by the VIN.
brcacti
I seem to have found my ORIGINAL owner, the name and place bought was written in the owners manual, sent them a message and car photo on facebook, never answered me WTF.gif
Cairo94507
In California you can contact the Department of Motor Vehicles to request owner history for the vehicle. You complete a form, state the purpose for your request and they should then provide you with the registered owner names. It may even be a form available on-line.

I did that about 10 years ago- not on my car, but on another car. I received the names and dates of ownership. If you call them and they say they do not know what the heck you are talking about, ask to speak with a DMV Investigator. Good luck with your search. beerchug.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(brcacti @ Jan 22 2020, 02:29 PM) *

I seem to have found my ORIGINAL owner, the name and place bought was written in the owners manual, sent them a message and car photo on facebook, never answered me WTF.gif

I forget when but in the news was facebook will soon more dead members then living.
My brother is still on facebook and he died over 10 years ago. Asshole is ghosting me and won't reply to my friend request. idea.gif Ummm...maybe that's a good thing.

BTW my brother would have laughed at this. biggrin.gif
Cornerlot
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jan 22 2020, 04:44 PM) *

In California you can contact the Department of Motor Vehicles to request owner history for the vehicle. You complete a form, state the purpose for your request and they should then provide you with the registered owner names. It may even be a form available on-line.

I did that about 10 years ago- not on my car, but on another car. I received the names and dates of ownership. If you call them and they say they do not know what the heck you are talking about, ask to speak with a DMV Investigator. Good luck with your search. beerchug.gif

I tried that for my 930, and after paying the fee and submitting the forms they said they had no record of the VIN. But, there is a online California DMV 'Bureau of Repair' site that had records of emissions checks and other work going back to 1990. Just saying their record keeping is incomplete.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(kroelofsen @ Jan 22 2020, 11:07 AM) *

Hi,

VIN: 474 2911 907

Posting pictures of the car will help a lot; most of us that see a 914 remember certain details. Maybe we can narrow down the search to a city or region.
drem914
QUOTE(brcacti @ Jan 22 2020, 11:29 AM) *

Same here. George at AA had the owners phone number! Called a couple times and left voicemails, but never got a call back
brcacti
QUOTE(drem914 @ Jan 22 2020, 08:01 PM) *

QUOTE(brcacti @ Jan 22 2020, 11:29 AM) *

Same here. George at AA had the owners phone number! Called a couple times and left voicemails, but never got a call back

Mark Henry might be right.................a lot of people don't make it to old age with the SO MANY diseases now, cancer, heart disease, diabetes, car accidents and MANY other ways there is do die. Just maybe they are not with the living any longer.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.