Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tuna can question on a 2.0l case
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Good morning gentlemen, have a question on moving a tuna can from one 2.0l case to another. It appears that it all should just transfer over if it is a good quality assembly, right? The 2.0L turbo engine I removed has one, the 2.0L engine I installed does not.

And yes, I will make sure there is no actual tuna in the can first.

Thanks!
914werke
Just gasket(s) & crush washer. Is this the old Welt. steel can?
Tdskip
Hi. Not sure of the make, will try to get some pictures.
914werke
Like this? (ignore the screen)

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Tdskip
Haven't pulled it yet, curious what I will find.
Mark Henry
All 914 T4 cases are the same.

Only some very early VW 411 T4 early 1.7 cases were mag and/or had no provision for a windage tray, but I've never seen one.
Tdskip
Thanks Mark
stownsen914
I like the screen in the pic above. I seem to recall that the Weltmeister tuna can I installed on a '74 2.0 I had a long time ago didn't have a provision for a screen. I think I fashioned something, but it wasn't pretty.
falcor75
Dont overtighten it when you put it back!
Tdskip
Is the idea of the screen that it will help trap any crud that settles to the bottom of the can since it is the low point in the oil system?

Thanks for all of the responses.
914werke
No, more in case of a catastrophic event to keep large chunks of material from being sucked into the pickup
Mark Henry
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Jan 23 2020, 08:25 AM) *

Dont overtighten it when you put it back!

IMHO every 914 or any T4 owner should have an inch pound torque wrench. The oil sump plate is 9 ft/lbs which is 108 inch/lbs...not a pound more.
I also work on 996/7 engines, lots of M6 bolts in alunimum, 7.5 Ft/lbs, no inch pound torque wrench and you'll be heli-coiling a lot of holes. On 914 every engine I build I helicoil the taco plate bolt holes.

I've had to replace a few cases due to over torquing the sump plate resulting in a broken bolt boss, including one on a customers brand new performance engine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.