Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 side shifter revers lockout?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
robicurp
Hello all,
I'm trying to get my 74 914-6 conversion on the road.
I'm experiencing crappy shifting. It's really hard to shift from first to second without a painful crunch when it nicks reverse. Sometimes I do it right and get a smooth gear change.
my shifter bushings, (that I know about) are in good shape or new.
I saw this lockout plate on the Pelicanparts site.
Can anyone tell me where this thing goes? Did my car come with one? do I need it?

Thanks,
Curtis
Jeroen
If I were you, I'd not even mess with the stock shifter and get a Rennshifter...

www.jwesteng.com
jr91472
That plate goes inside the actual shifer in the cockpit. I have heard that they can wear out, but I have never experienced that.

If yourr bushing are truely "new or in good shape", I would look at readjusting the shifter next. This is done in car, via the hole a the base of the shifter. Do a search here as I think somewhere, someone did a pretty good job of explaining it.

Here is a link to Red-beard's site, with lots of good info as well.

http://home.san.rr.com/pb914/

beer.gif
jr91472
oh and welcome!!!! There are alot of great teener folks in OK!!

You should try and make MUSR this year!!!

wavey.gif

tat2dphreak
Welcome! post pics of your teener and try to come to MUSR, Sept 1-4 in Granbury
rhodyguy
is the ball cup bushing, where the linkage enters the trans brand new? if not double check that.

k
DonTraver
Hi welcome to the club.

I'd also check the cone screws that hold the shifter links together. Mine loosened up, shifting went south real quick. I've since put a little dab of blue locktite on the screws. Everything works great again.

Regards, Don
rhodyguy
oops. too many shifter threads this am. check the 2 bushings in the coupler for the front and rear shift rods. they are often over looked. i'll reread the other thread and see if i have to delete. wacko.gif

k
lylegd
If you have already checked out everything previously suggested and still have poor shifting then check the condition of the two roll pins that are used to attach the short shifter shaft to the shaft where it goes into the side of the transmission. One of the pins can be accessed outside of the tranny but the other one requires you to remove the two bolts that hold the shifter console onto the side of the tranny and then pull out the side console. On my tranny, the shifting would be OK for one shift and then suddenly change to bad. The inside roll pin was sheared off causing the inside shifter to rotate slightly on the shaft. If you do this, buy two rolls pins and a replacement O ring in advance of the job. Get the good roll pins from Porsche, not the el cheapo roll pins that are frequently sold at local hardware stores. You will be draining the oil of the tranny when you take that console apart. You will also want to examine the condition of the holes in the shafts that the roll pins are pressed into to make sure the hole hasn't opened up due to wear and tear. It happens if the problem has gone on for a long time. Goodluck
Lyle
robicurp
Wow, Thanks to everyone for all the great advise. I have alot to look into next week end.
As requested, here are a couple of pictures of my 914. I have the engine and trans out of it at the moment to fix a leak at the crank pulley. the seal was apparently damaged when it was installed.
It should be moving under it's own power again next week end.

A little info:
it's a 74. I traded for it as an unfinished conversion.
2.2 litre 6 with webbers
headers - no heat.
Fortunately it already had the flares and nice paint. I spend the last 11 months welding up rust holes, installing stiffening kit, brakes, sway bar plus lots and lots of other stuff. It has definitely been a learning experience.
There's tons of work left to do before I'll be satisfied with it, but autocross season is starting soon and I need to be ready. I can dig into it again this winter.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.