Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Acquired: Wire with Connector
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
914_7T3
Looking for a suitable piece of white wire with green stripe that has the connector intact. This is the wire that goes to the base of the speedo in a '73 that indicates either parking or fog lights (can't recall).

The plan is to splice the piece to the existing wire where the connector has broken off. Would also be amenable to a new connector if these still exist. The connector is shown in the below pics and contacts the 12V 2A bulb in the brass holder.

A bonus would be if I can source the same wire, but with blue stripe at the base of the tach that indicates when the brights are on just in case.

Really hope someone has these kicking around.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

beerchug.gif
KevinW
I am pretty sure that I have one. PM me your address and I’ll drop it in the mail.
Pezz
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Jan 22 2020, 08:47 PM) *

Looking for a suitable piece of white wire with green stripe that has the connector intact. This is the wire that goes to the base of the speedo in a '73 that indicates either parking or fog lights (can't recall).

The plan is to splice the piece to the existing wire where the connector has broken off. Would also be amenable to a new connector if these still exist. The connector is shown in the below pics and contacts the 12V 2A bulb in the brass holder.

A bonus would be if I can source the same wire, but with blue stripe at the base of the tach that indicates when the brights are on just in case.

Really hope someone has these kicking around.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

beerchug.gif

Let me see what is under the dash of my 1970
more later
Pezz
GregAmy
Why not convert it to one of the push-on terminal bulbholders? They're like $6 or something new.

Or am I misinterpreting the issue?

IPB Image
914_7T3
QUOTE(KevinW @ Jan 23 2020, 04:33 AM) *

I am pretty sure that I have one. PM me your address and I’ll drop it in the mail.

That would be awesome. PM coming in....
914_7T3
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Jan 23 2020, 06:10 AM) *

Why not convert it to one of the push-on terminal bulbholders? They're like $6 or something new.

Or am I misinterpreting the issue?

IPB Image

Saw those, but did not know if it would work by using the larger connector at the back. If so that would be a good solution as well. Has anyone tried this with success?
914_7T3
QUOTE(Pezz @ Jan 23 2020, 05:47 AM) *

Let me see what is under the dash of my 1970
more later
Pezz

Please do!
GregAmy
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Jan 23 2020, 11:24 AM) *
Saw those, but did not know if it would work by using the larger connector at the back. If so that would be a good solution as well. Has anyone tried this with success?

I've never tried it, but I can't see how it wouldn't work. It's just a bulbholder, same as you have. You want the wire connecting to the center part of the bulb, and you want the outside to ground to the gauge. That's what these do...
914_7T3
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Jan 23 2020, 09:38 AM) *

QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Jan 23 2020, 11:24 AM) *

I've never tried it, but I can't see how it wouldn't work. It's just a bulbholder, same as you have. You want the wire connecting to the center part of the bulb, and you want the outside to ground to the gauge. That's what these do...

My only concern would be if the thin gauge of the wire is beefy enough to crimp to the larger connector required for the bulb holder.
914_7T3
Thank you to @KevinW for sending me everything needed along with a back up option. Always appreciative of the generosity within our community!

beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment

Also picked up this complete harness as a back up for my other gauge lights from Retro Automotive products in New Hampshire.

Click to view attachment
Retroracer
INFORMATIONAL: As a semi-legimate electrical hack: for the White + (Color) wires that can be hard to source at short notice, getting the correct gauge White wire and investing in a pack of colored Sharpies is not a bad thing to have as a back up plan.

Cut the wire to length, select appropriate color Sharpie, and - easier with two of you - draw the length of the wire over the Sharpie tip in one smooth motion - instant fix. Not as good as the real thing, but as photographers sometimes say: the best camera is the one you have with you.

This sort of works with light color wires, but obvi not black or real dark ones. FYI.

- Tony
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.