Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Carb recommendation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EJP914
I have just about given up on trying to make the car more driveable with the single Weber on my'74 1.8. Never could get it right. If you were going to buy new twin carbs, manifolds, etc what would you buy and from who?
Thanks.
Ed
Tdskip
I've run Weber, EMPI and Dels. People will disagree on this but set up and proper tuning is more important than which of those you choose in my opinion.

I'd also consider putting FI back on the car because, when healthy, it's better for daily use than any of those three above.
Mark Henry
If the engine is stock I'd look for a complete L-jet system. I bet you could find one for less than new webers.

Before you take the single off get it hot and do a compression check, the best FI or carbs in the world won't make a beat engine run better.
ClayPerrine
agree.gif

If you have nothing, the L-Jet system is the way to go. But I would buy a new harness from Bowlsby, and new injectors to insure it works correctly.

thelogo
I wouldn't hesistate to run baby webers on it
Dont expect explosive performance screwy.gif av-943.gif
But do expect non explosive reliability smoke.gif

2x 34 ict ? I belive it is. ... ?

But yes the engine should have all systems working in concert to get the best tune ...new .... Plugs /points/oil /valve adj. Etc.

Rings and. Guides .... You . hope not bye1.gif

porschetub
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 25 2020, 08:51 AM) *

agree.gif

If you have nothing, the L-Jet system is the way to go. But I would buy a new harness from Bowlsby, and new injectors to insure it works correctly.

agree.gif currently putting together a system for my future 411 FI case build.....so simply ,well sorted it will be WAY better than carbs and less troublesome than D-jet.
Ansbacher
I'm partial to Dellortos. If you go with Webbers, make sure you are buying REAL Webbers (made in Spain/Italy?) and not the Chinese clones out there that go for about $699.00 a pair, as they are pot metal junk (ask me how I know). Make sure your intake manifolds are tightly sealed at the block with NEW gaskets, not just the seals at the top.

Ansbacher
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I agree, fuel injection, but if not dual weber 40s

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jan 24 2020, 12:39 PM) *

I've run Weber, EMPI and Dels. People will disagree on this but set up and proper tuning is more important than which of those you choose in my opinion.

I'd also consider putting FI back on the car because, when healthy, it's better for daily use than any of those three above.

Daryl32
No experience with these carbs or your engine.

But have always had carbs on my cars - I am a per injection baby.

Anyway years and years ago a well respected carburetor genius, I mean this man really know his stuff, more then once said " Carbs get blamed as being the issue when it is really an ignition or valve timing/adjustment problem."

Just to add to what others have mentioned.
Rand
Your problem is one carb with long intake runners that are just horribly inefficient on a boxer. Dual 40s if your engine has changed the cam to work with that setup. Otherwise, FI is so much better in every way and worth fixing.
porschetub
QUOTE(Daryl32 @ Jan 26 2020, 12:11 PM) *

No experience with these carbs or your engine.

But have always had carbs on my cars - I am a per injection baby.

Anyway years and years ago a well respected carburetor genius, I mean this man really know his stuff, more then once said " Carbs get blamed as being the issue when it is really an ignition or valve timing/adjustment problem."

Just to add to what others have mentioned.

Good points,try to tune carbs without full ignition tune up is a waste of time,let alone bad valve clearances and timing issues.
If the OP isn't going back to FI the Dellorto's are a great choice as I found them easy to set up I haven't worked with IDF's but have used other Webers such as ICT and DCNFV's in the past.
EJP914
Many thanks for all of the replies. I will check/adjust replace all other items before sending the 2 bbl to the trash heap. My car is not driven all that much, but the wear/maint parts do have some age on them. Thanks again for the tips.
bbrock
I've tried the single progressive carbs on two different Type IV engines (1 914 and 1 bus). They were horrible on both for the reasons already mentioned. No amount of tuning will overcome the inherently bad design of trying to send atomized fuel through those long intake runners. Replacing mine with dual 34 ICT carbs was a big improvement but still left the 914 rather gutless compared to the stock FI. I've seen a few people here say they've been happy with their single progressives but IIRC, all lived in the warmest areas of the US. I agree with those saying putting the L-jet back is the best way to go. That's what I'd do unless the cam has been changed.
theer
Sometime in the distant past when FI was expensive and difficult to keep running (yes, young people there was a time before the Interwebs). I put dual Weber 40's on my 1.9l with an appropriate "street" cam. I have no idea anymore what the specs are on that cam - it was 3 kids, 2 houses and one wife ago.. a long time.

It runs & drives fine, gas mileage isn't great, and it is pretty loud.

Question: can you go back to stock FI without having to go back in and change the carb-cam?

theer
What do you know.. the answer was right here the whole time:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=343074

Need a FI cam for FI. Carb cam for carbs.

Something to consider.
Rand
QUOTE(theer @ Jan 30 2020, 10:44 AM) *

Sometime in the distant past when FI was expensive and difficult to keep running (yes, young people there was a time before the Interwebs). I put dual Weber 40's on my 1.9l with an appropriate "street" cam. I have no idea anymore what the specs are on that cam - it was 3 kids, 2 houses and one wife ago.. a long time.

It runs & drives fine, gas mileage isn't great, and it is pretty loud.

Question: can you go back to stock FI without having to go back in and change the carb-cam?

There are systems that will blow your mind with the detail. Don't go back to stock now since you can't. Use a modern system. Our cars deserve these upgrades as much as any.
There's a lot of modern tech to improve all of it.
HappyTrails

I agree with others here that proper tuning is the most important factor to any carburetor set up and that they can give good service. If I had it to do over again, however, I would use a fuel injection system. The idle jets on the carbs have a tendency to plug pretty easily, although cleaning them is an easy, fairly quick chore.

That said, my 1974 2.0 runs dual Weber 44 IDF’s and an Ignitor II Electronic Ignition w/original Vacuum Advance Distributor along with a Flame Thrower II Coil. I think it would run just as well with a little smaller carburetor, but the 44’s can be tuned to run very well.

When everything is tuned properly it is a real kick in the pants to drive!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.