Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Luftgekühlt #7 - Durham, NC May 31, 2020
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cal
Anyone know where this event is going to be held? I'm guessing the new Brumos Museum that just opened on Thursday in Jacksonville, Florida.
Cal
This years Luftgekuhlt #7 is being held in Durham, North Carolina.

https://luftgekuhlt.com/

Minerva's 914
Wow, excited as hell! Just 27 miles from my house.

Let the party begin!
designerguy90
I'll be attending, already made hotel reservations; very much looking forward to it!
stevegm
I was waiting to hear where it is going to be. NC is awesome for me. I’ll be there.
Maltese Falcon
Be sure to check out @Roadscholars while you're in the Durham area, lots of groovy P-cars driving.gif driving-girl.gif
Optimusglen
ATC wink.gif
Big Len
What happens here?
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Big Len @ Feb 7 2020, 03:58 PM) *

What happens here?

Len Google 'Luftgekult'
Has only happened in California (six times) until now.....
Spectacular all air cooled show fearuring the best of the era we love.
soccerplyr
I'm going and bringing my Dad for his 74th birthday. He's a BMW guy, but I'll make sure he keeps that to himself. We should try and get a World meet and greet going.
anderssj
Really want to make this one!

driving.gif
stevegm
QUOTE(soccerplyr @ Feb 7 2020, 09:47 PM) *

I'm going and bringing my Dad for his 74th birthday. He's a BMW guy, but I'll make sure he keeps that to himself. We should try and get a World meet and greet going.

It might be nice to organize a “mid-engine invasion-style” (like we’ve done with Hershey), meetup around this. I am nearby. Anybody interested?
GregAmy
QUOTE(stevegm @ Feb 8 2020, 10:13 AM) *

It might be nice to organize a “mid-engine invasion-style” (like we’ve done with Hershey), meetup around this. I am nearby. Anybody interested?

flag.gif I may drive down in the 914 for this one.
Superhawk996
I'm sure my car won't be off jackstands for this but was considering a trip to Ashville to visit friends. This event may be just the ticket to put that trip on the calendar since I have little hope of catching one on the west cost!
914forme
Yes but may might be a bit quick for me to get the -6 all together, but want an event to drive down for. Even if it is in a BMW confused24.gif the 7 series will eat up them miles like Pac Man eating dots.
Maltese Falcon
Once you have gone through the Luft committee selection of your car being accepted, the entry lines can be lengthy; all still worth it as the show is awesome. After exhibiting at 3 shows... I just went to the next shows as an observer, less stress and same fun level.
Enjoy !
Click to view attachment
914forme
Unfortunately with #40 your time back in that line might be requested. beerchug.gif
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(914forme @ Feb 9 2020, 02:48 PM) *

Unfortunately with #40 your time back in that line might be requested. beerchug.gif

Stephen , that part of the line we are in (with cone) is only a "Break"
for driveway clearence...the line goes another 1/2 mile behind me.
And, there is another similar line across the street + parallel to our line going back 1/2 mile...and these were all pre-selected, rsvp'd.
#40 would be set up overnight as a bunch of " Curated" cars (not my thing) and then left overnight (not my thing) for the next day's show.
At Rennsport I provide my own private security detail, otherwise you rely on the Barney Fife brigade biggrin.gif
DRPHIL914
I might be able to make that! My son lives in Charlotte, not too far away.
mepstein
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Feb 9 2020, 06:51 PM) *

I was thinking the same thing, stay with my son in Charlotte since hotels in Durham look to be pricey but then I checked on my daughter's college graduation date, yep, weekend of the 31st.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 9 2020, 09:50 PM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Feb 9 2020, 06:51 PM) *

I was thinking the same thing, stay with my son in Charlotte since hotels in Durham look to be pricey but then I checked on my daughter's college graduation date, yep, weekend of the 31st.

headbang.gif Darn!, well you cant help that can you. So it looks like I could almost make a car/914 event every month for the next 6 months! no graduations or weddings this year, but I do have 2 daughers that are engaged, and the oldest, my son planning on sealing the deal here pretty soon! I have already told them, there are dates that they are not allowed to get married!- a certain week in September for sure, and March as well rolleyes.gif
Cornerlot
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Feb 9 2020, 02:01 PM) *

Once you have gone through the Luft committee selection of your car being accepted, the entry lines can be lengthy

Never been to one. But I see they select the cars to display. When is that done, on-site or during some earlier online submission? Are there displays or events that weekend that don't involve a chosen few, like for driver quality cars and participants?
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Cornerlot @ Feb 10 2020, 08:13 AM) *

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Feb 9 2020, 02:01 PM) *

Once you have gone through the Luft committee selection of your car being accepted, the entry lines can be lengthy

Never been to one. But I see they select the cars to display. When is that done, on-site or during some earlier online submission? Are there displays or events that weekend that don't involve a chosen few, like for driver quality cars and participants?

In the 2-3 hours that elapse when Luft announces that ticket sales are open...you bang the Buy-button, fill in the fields on their online application >last show #6 you had to fill out a short story on your ride...and somewhere around 4 hours they are sold out and the sales are over.
In L.A . they once had an overflow lot (but not at the last #6) where the run-what-you brung air cool's gathered. Still an awesome show IMHO aktion035.gif
Manny Alban
Since this event is 3 days, I hoping they have events for the 99% whose cars do not get in. Yes, the show is outstanding and being the first on the east coast, I'm hoping we get to see cars that don't normally see the light of day. Didn't Road Scholars used to host a cars and coffee and their place? Just be prepared for a zoo. When the Canadians are talking about driving down, you know it's going to be a packed event.
Maltese Falcon
...I've been browsing around several P-car forums, some of the local NC guys are predicting the location as; Durham Bulls Athletic Park or American Tobacco Campus parking lots idea.gif
Note; this is just media chatter, not fact.
Click to view attachment
Cornerlot
We didn’t know about the ‘host hotels’ until seeing a forum post on Wednesday, didn’t see it posted on their website either. Hotels were sold out by then. Made a reservation at La Quinta by Wyndham (University Area). Driving down from the Detroit area.
Robson51
I've been down to a few of these and doubt if it will be anything as pedestrian as a ballfield or a parking lot. They've taken over a lumber yard, a furniture manufacturing plant, and the back lot of Universal Studios. Emphasis is on style......

Tickets are limited, and sell out quickly, so register at the Luft site to get notification as to when they go on sale. Tickets have been known to be registered to buyer, and non transferrable.

It sounds a bit weird, until you go to the first one. Very different than Werks Reunion or Rennsport. If you go, you'll understand. If you miss it, you'll be pissed.

There are more than a few of us that are a bit cranky that it got moved to the East Coast. It turns it into a $2000 weekend pretty quickly from Seattle!
rgalla9146
Some cranky people on the east coast too.
The score is 6-0 untill now
JmuRiz
Booked a room in Durham, city center are sold out so mine is less than a mile from there. I could use the walk anyway. Won’t be driving my cars, will ride along in the 930. How are tickets for those not showing a car?
Robson51
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Feb 15 2020, 12:24 PM) *

Booked a room in Durham, city center are sold out so mine is less than a mile from there. I could use the walk anyway. Won’t be driving my cars, will ride along in the 930. How are tickets for those not showing a car?

They only sell a limited number of tickets for spectators. Get on their website and get registered so you know when they go on sale. One year they sold out in 24 hours. Last year it took 36, but it was an enormous venue.

Maltese Falcon
...I'm thinking the Luft logo has something to do with the Red/Black theme, so I'll narrow the venue down to the American Tobacco Campus
Click to view attachment
jdamiano
The Discover Durham website lists the events as being American Tobacco.
https://www.discoverdurham.com/events/luftgekühlt-car-show/
Optimusglen
QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Feb 7 2020, 10:52 AM) *

ATC wink.gif

Nobody picked up on it, but the Tobacco campus is where I put my money.
rgalla9146
I see what Marty is saying about the colors on the Lucky Strike pack and the colors
of the Luft 7 logo...... Inspector Clouseau !
stevegm
Luft 7 just rescheduled to November 1st. Book your rooms quickly.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(stevegm @ Apr 2 2020, 11:55 AM) *

Just saw that in my email.
Still warm down that way early November ?
krazykonrad
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Apr 2 2020, 08:22 AM) *

Early November can be 70s and shorts or 45 and raining.
jaredmcginness
Well..... more time to get the car done.
stevegm
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Apr 2 2020, 12:22 PM) *

Warm enough.
914dave
Bahnzai, Lvnzdrm and I have a bungalow booked for November. Next to the Duke campus. We have plenty of time to plan a little invasion.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(914dave @ Apr 3 2020, 10:11 AM) *

Bahnzai, Lvnzdrm and I have a bungalow booked for November. Next to the Duke campus. We have plenty of time to plan a little invasion.

Looking for volunteers ?
sign me up
914dave
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Apr 3 2020, 10:40 AM) *

QUOTE(914dave @ Apr 3 2020, 10:11 AM) *

Looking for volunteers ?
sign me up

We can figure who’s going and where to meet. After we see the schedule.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.