Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: This, versus that, versus the other
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
So I just spent some time doing back to back drives in the very stock 1973 1.7 fuel-injectors car versus the 1974 “turbo“ car that now has the 2.0 L dual EMPI carbs and a 911 front suspension and 911 rear brakes.

(Please excuse how dirty they both are)

Click to view attachment

Tdskip
Click to view attachment

Despite having carbs, the easiest way to describe the difference is that the 74 feels like it’s a generation newer than the 73. It’s just MUCH more planted and the brakes feel like they have twice the reserve (if that makes sense).
Tdskip
And the just for grins I jumped in the 1980 CB750F that I picked up for $750.

Click to view attachment

It’s amazing how natural and intuitive the vintage Honda’s are, instant feeling of having ridden it for years.

Anyway, back to the 914’s the ‘73 is still very satisfying to drive but it feels much more delicate and classic. The 74 feels like it could easily be a product of the 80s or 90s.

The whole take away from this is that you can pretty much build one of these into whatever driving experience you’re looking to have, much more so than pretty much any other car I’ve owned. I didn’t fully appreciate that when I dove into owning these but man it’s kind of addictive to be able to design the driving experience and then just make it happen.
windforfun
Did I miss something? What's the issue? What's your question?

smile.gif

Buy both of them!!! Forget the donor cycle.
Literati914
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jan 25 2020, 06:42 PM) *

.. The 74 feels like it could easily be a product of the 80s or 90s.

The whole take away from this is that you can pretty much build one of these into whatever driving experience you’re looking to have, much more so than pretty much any other car I’ve owned. I didn’t fully appreciate that when I dove into owning these but man it’s kind of addictive to be able to design the driving experience and then just make it happen.

I wonder how much those updated race seats add to the more modern feel. The 1.7L are certainly fun, I owned a '71 1.7L (back in the mid-'90s), it was kinda slow I guess, but I never really noticed that much. I used to get off work at about 1am and looked forward to the drive home every night because of how the car would stick like glue, hauling butt through the two sets of cloverleafs on the way home.
windforfun
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Jan 25 2020, 04:56 PM) *

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jan 25 2020, 06:42 PM) *

.. The 74 feels like it could easily be a product of the 80s or 90s.

I wonder how much those updated race seats add to the more modern feel. The 1.7L are certainly fun, I owned a '71 1.7L (back in the mid-'90s), it was kinda slow I guess, but I never really noticed that much. I used to get off work at about 1am and looked forward to the drive home every night because of how the car would stick like glue, hauling butt through the two sets of cloverleafs on the way home.

Right on. Perhaps the stock 1.7 has greater value. KISS.
oakdalecurtis
Click to view attachment
windforfun
QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Jan 25 2020, 05:08 PM) *

Perfect!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.