Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electric AC
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914forme
Jegs has done an electric AC system, it is not pretty, but interesting.
914forme
Nice to find that the purple paint was not them. Manufacture painted it purple. confused24.gif
Mark Henry
blink.gif

OMG zoom in and read the warning label , reads like "if you hear any odd sounds RUN it's a fuching bomb !!!"

"immediately get away if you hear sounds of grounding inside the compressor (sizzling, sputtering or popping). Burns from compressor thermal venting with ignition may result."

lol-2.gif av-943.gif rolleyes.gif av-943.gif
FL000
For a solution that many people hope is right around the corner this setup leaves a lot to be desired. Is it even for a car confused24.gif looks like a floor mount vent for a trailer.
Retroracer
One interesting aspect is the electrical current requirement - 31A! For a standard 914, this is 56% of your available alternator output - at high engine revs. At idle, your battery better be in good shape...

Any 914 install would need to be looking at upgrading electrical systems if you want to have other stuff in the car working as well, like maybe headlights and such.

- Tony
76-914
QUOTE(914forme @ Jan 25 2020, 06:12 PM) *

Nice to find that the purple paint was not them. Manufacture painted it purple. confused24.gif

After reading this I see that the mfg isn't too keen on the 12v models. idea.gif And if they aren't pushing them that's the writing on the wall. beerchug.gif
tygaboy
QUOTE(Retroracer @ Jan 26 2020, 07:35 AM) *

One interesting aspect is the electrical current requirement - 31A! For a standard 914, this is 56% of your available alternator output - at high engine revs. At idle, your battery better be in good shape...

Any 914 install would need to be looking at upgrading electrical systems if you want to have other stuff in the car working as well, like maybe headlights and such.

- Tony

But for us V8 powered folks and our 220 A alternators... idea.gif

I haven't pulled the trigger on the install of the "standard" A/C set up I have. I'll report back should I decide to check into this.
cary
QUOTE(FL 000 @ Jan 25 2020, 07:29 PM) *

For a solution that many people hope is right around the corner this setup leaves a lot to be desired. Is it even for a car confused24.gif looks like a floor mount vent for a trailer.

Wont be long. It's it the nose of the Gunther.
I think we've done 3 at Rothsport on 911's.
Steve
Most of the electric AC car kits are running the benling compressor.
https://benling.coowor.com/shop/product-det...09087VFAMP1.htm
Retroracer
RE: "But for us V8 powered folks and our 220 A alternators.."

Chris, I did say "standard" 914? I envision for your build industrial levels of AC cooling, as well as fridge, 120V inverters (passenger and driver), full AV suite with 60" OLED TV, welder, etc.

smile.gif

- Tony
914forme
Those are the ones from the UK Classic Retrofit, the cost is just too hight right now with the exchange rate. @2,995.00 + VAT ~ 4,000.00. But they also released a unit for racers, that is all inclosed can sit in the cab. Fills your race suit with cool goodness. LOL, I could put it in the passenger seat, and let it fill the cabin, or at least my pants leg.

I keep watching and hoping for something to bleed over.

I just thought the Jets thing was interesting, also have found no manuals, for it, but I can buy the AN AC lines for it. And yes it looks like a refrigerator unit.\

The Classic Retrofit, shows all the cars that have been done by Gunnar, and Rothsport. In their blog section.

On the 914-6 you just use one of their Alternator upgrades, 150Amp.

Mark Henry
Not electric but fits our 914's
https://www.classicautoair.com/shop/1974-po...tioning-system/
DickSteinkamp
Like electric power steering I would guess electric AC (or AC/Heat), most likely using a heat pump, will take over the OE and aftermarket vehicle HVAC market. Some EVs already use a heat pump. To operate these devices and to save weight (lighter gauge wiring can be used) 24 or higher voltages will become more common.
Steve
QUOTE(914forme @ Jan 26 2020, 08:22 AM) *

Those are the ones from the UK Classic Retrofit, the cost is just too hight right now with the exchange rate. @2,995.00 + VAT ~ 4,000.00. But they also released a unit for racers, that is all inclosed can sit in the cab. Fills your race suit with cool goodness. LOL, I could put it in the passenger seat, and let it fill the cabin, or at least my pants leg.

I keep watching and hoping for something to bleed over.

I just thought the Jets thing was interesting, also have found no manuals, for it, but I can buy the AN AC lines for it. And yes it looks like a refrigerator unit.\

The Classic Retrofit, shows all the cars that have been done by Gunnar, and Rothsport. In their blog section.

On the 914-6 you just use one of their Alternator upgrades, 150Amp.

I picked up the Benling compressors for $600.00. The rest is standard 914 under dash evaporator and trunk condensor. Not rocket science.
At the lowest setting the compressor draws 40 amps. No problem for my 3.2 alternator.
914forme
@Steve please spill the beans, not a rocket scientist, but know several. Both my uncles where though. Worked on all the programs up to the Shuttle. I never went that route, I worked on other things that makes rockets look simple, but want to get up to speed. beer.gif
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 26 2020, 08:38 AM) *

Any reason it’s only applicable for a ‘74 ?
914forme
something like this? Seems very straight forward. Would love to see the install.
Steve
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jan 26 2020, 04:54 PM) *

I called them up and just bought the under dash evaporator for my 75. The condensor I bought from southern air. I have everything I need to install it, but hectic job, family, etc. so I keep pushing out the install.
Steve
QUOTE(914forme @ Jan 26 2020, 04:35 PM) *

@Steve please spill the beans, not a rocket scientist, but know several. Both my uncles where though. Worked on all the programs up to the Shuttle. I never went that route, I worked on other things that makes rockets look simple, but want to get up to speed. beer.gif

I have all the parts, just no time to work on it. I have the front trunk done with the condensor and fan. I just need to install the benling compressor and under dash evaporator.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jan 26 2020, 07:54 PM) *

Likely google bots know I have a '74 confused24.gif
If you go through the menu it lists each year of 914, don't know/think there's any difference in the kits by year.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.