Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone seen a double stamp on Vin plate headlight bucket
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
burton73
Anyone seen a double stamp on Vin plate headlight bucket
Too much beer during lunch?

One number is upside down.

4732917226 and 2917221 5 OFF

Nice 3.2 conversion in sweet blue for my bud.

Bob B
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif
Krieger
Oops! Jeez...
Gustl
it's a repro VIN tag and it's not stamped but engraved
very likely, that the guy who did this, just fixed it in the wrong way in the engrave-machine ...
iankarr
What make this look like a repro?
914Sixer
Tag looks OEM to me. Somebody just screwed up when they put the tag in and turned it over to correct it.
iankarr
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jan 26 2020, 09:02 AM) *

Tag looks OEM to me. Somebody just screwed up when they put the tag in and turned it over to correct it.

agree.gif
Gustl
QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Jan 26 2020, 02:58 PM) *

originals are stamped, and this one shows no signs of being stamped
in addition, the "wave" symbol between the two rivets looks a little different than on other original VIN tags
but of course, I don't know for sure ...
burton73
I am a little concerned on the vins and stamping. There is no vin showing on A pillar.
The car has black paint on front windshield. There are pictures of rotisserie restoration
But one has to have a clear path to 2 vins when bringing a car from out of state.

Bob B
Click to view attachment
iankarr
QUOTE(Gustl @ Jan 26 2020, 12:35 PM) *

QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Jan 26 2020, 02:58 PM) *

in addition, the "wave" symbol between the two rivets looks a little different than on other original VIN tags

Not sure what you mean by signs of being stamped. The un-changing parts of the plate were stamp embossed, and the serialized VIN numbers were stamped.
Burton...to my eye, you frunk VIN plate looks legit. Here's a side-by-side with mine, which is original...and a jpg of one of the repops below. Look closely at the spacing between the embossed letters. That's indicative of being stamped by a die that was common to all cars. Your "imperfections", with the exception of the double stamp, look identical. The repro tag's embossed letters are not as sharp as the OEMs. In particular, look how the "g" is filled in on "Heizg".

If this were a coin, you'd have someting priceless! Of course, this is just my opinion...and I'm heavily medicated wink.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
altitude411
I agree w/ Gustl. the vin plate appears to be repo. The plate has been engraved and not punched, also the font is to large.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
iankarr
QUOTE(altitude411 @ Jan 26 2020, 01:17 PM) *

I agree w/ Gustl. the vin plate appears to be repo. The plate has been engraved and not punched, also the font is to large.

Not wanting to pull the fire alarm here, but I think yours may be the repro. The size, font and shape of the stamped VIN letters don't match the factory style, which you can also cross reference on top of the right wheel well.

Click to view attachment
altitude411
Sorry, the image I posted was from a well documented car. http://www.californiaclassix.com/archive/7...e_914_c569.html
I see this font on a lot of 72 vin tags. Did they change for 73> confused24.gif
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
gandalf_025
Does anyone know if these varied by year and if the 6's were different..??

Just noticed the 6 version says Porsche vs Volkswagen But still don't know if the 4's varied by year..?
poorsche914
QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Jan 26 2020, 03:16 PM) *
Does anyone know if these varied by year... ??

Looks like factory plates included the the year in the initial number sequence while the aftermarket only has "47"

Click to view attachment

driving.gif
FlacaProductions
Mine for comparison - original as far as I know...
Click to view attachment
iankarr
QUOTE(altitude411 @ Jan 26 2020, 02:09 PM) *

Sorry, the image I posted was from a well documented car. http://www.californiaclassix.com/archive/7...e_914_c569.html
I see this font on a lot of 72 vin tags. Did they change for 73> confused24.gif

Interesting. Yes, it's very possible the factory changed the font in 73. Anyone else want to post their 69-72 plates for comparison?

Sorry for the hijack...it appears that @Burton73 has a legit tag.
burton73
My 1970 model 6 is at PMB and as I remember it the plate was stamped with the vin on the front while the main info that was done in bulk where stamped from the back.

So, the factory made plenty of these stamped from the back only missing the 7 numbers that I believe where done as needed for production. Must have been the place where the vins on A pillar the stamped as well as the inner fender vins. Came together

So, the concern on this car with the double stamp does not matter but the fact that a pillar is not there is a concern for CA or a tight judge at the DMV

Bob B

SirAndy
QUOTE(Gustl @ Jan 26 2020, 09:35 AM) *

agree.gif

I just looked at my original '70 /4 plate and Gustl's observations are spot on ...
bye1.gif
SirAndy
The "wave" above the stamped (!) vin is supposed to be made of triangular shaped peaks that have sharper edges.

The wave in the original image posted is too rounded ...
popcorn[1].gif
iankarr
It seems there may be two different plates and/or fonts used on different model years. @Poorsche914 makes a good point about the repo plates...they're missing an embossed model year digit, which is probably the smoking gun as to authenticity. Would be great to see other members' plates to confirm the early and late stamping styles...and when the switch occurred. Also whether the stamp on the right fender arch shares the same font in early cars, like it does in late. @davep
SirAndy
QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Jan 27 2020, 06:28 AM) *

It seems there may be two different plates and/or fonts used on different model years. @Poorsche914 makes a good point about the repo plates...they're missing an embossed model year digit, which is probably the smoking gun as to authenticity.

Don't be too quick on that, my '70 /4 plate does not have the embossed 0 for the year, it is stamped in with the rest of the VIN.
idea.gif
sb914
For reference. My 73 now gone . sad.gif Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 27 2020, 08:23 AM) *
... my '70 /4 plate does not have the embossed 0 for the year, it is stamped in with the rest of the VIN.
idea.gif

greench
This 914 is currently being listed for sale on a variety of websites and is supposedly for sale by a Paul Williams who is an engineer on an oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico. The car is being held by a 3rd party escrow company etc. obviously be wary. Would love to hear from the actual owner out there somewhere, if Paul Williams is really selling this beauty for $17,700 than sucks for me.
silverg
The old "oil rig" scam
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.