Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hell of a weekend
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DNHunt
Wife and kids are back in Michigan and I stayed here to work. I needed something to keep me busy so, I decided it was time to make up a new FI harness since me being a tinkerer mine was all cut up and spliced. This was for my MS. So I found a really great 60 pin plug and socket off of a mid 90's Mopar and I start to work on it Tuesday night. Damn, it was slow going.

Sat I was supposed to go to the Sovern races with Kevin. I had to call Kevin and say the car wasn't ready. No races. Sunday Kevin and I were driving to Portland to AX. Car's not ready. No go.

Here's the problem. I need switched 12 volt to supply the main relay on the MS. I was using the black wire to the coil from pin 7 on the 12 pin plug off the relay board before so I hook it up like that on Saturday. It keeps running when I turn the key off WTF. When it's running on after I turn it off it has 4 volts at the primary coil of the main relay. That 4 volts keeps the relay closed. If I touch the brakes the voltage drops and the relay opens. Where the hell is that 4 volts coming from. So, I rip everything out and check for shorts and bad connections. MS check out OK so, I start following wiring back through the relay board to the fuse box to the ignition switch and gauges. Everything looks OK but there is quite a bit of resistance. I still don't know what is back feeding that relay. I'm tired of screwing with it. I think I'll just put a zener in the line. THIS IS WORSE THAN PLUMBING. barf.gif

Dave
DNHunt
They took the camera with them so I can't even show you the mess I have to clean up before they come home.

Dave
John Kelly
Dave, You're giving me a headache! I'll take plumbing any day. Good luck with it.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
scotty914
try a new relay ( on the relay board )the old one might be gunked up enough not to truely open, or use the pass front connector on the four pin it is switch by the main relay on the reg board.
lapuwali
Sounds like you're still using the stock relay board if you're using the 12-pin plug. There's a signal directly from the ignition switch on the 14 pin plug. If you're using the MS relay board, why do you still have the stock relay board there at all? There are more than enough outputs and relays and fuses on the MS relay board to totally replace the stock relay board. Gets rid of a known-to-be-flaky 30+ year old item.

One of the "switched +12" connections actually comes off the brake light switch, as I recall. Some of the factory wiring there is pretty goofy. IMHO, while you're digging and trying to fix old wiring, buy one of James West's replacement fuseboxes. ATO style fuses with a couple of spares, and it just plugs in.

ejm
Where the hell is that 4 volts coming from.

Looking at a diagram I would guess it's coming back through the alternator warning bulb...pull the bulb or fuse 9 and see if the problem goes away.

a diode will fix it smile.gif
DNHunt
Ed

You are right. Unplug alternator light and all is well. Course it won't run forever like that so I'll rig a diode between the light and fuse S9. Sometimes you kinda wonder about the way these things are put together.

Thanks

Dave
brp914
good call Ed beerchug.gif

Well, I guess not related afterall, but for purposes of commiseration: the fuse 9 circuit is really the "area 51" of 914dom. My -6 was occasionaly blowing #9. Found engine compartment light lead dangling disconnected. Fixed. 2 weeks later #9 blows again. Must be fluke - put in new fuse. 2 weeks later #9 blows. Weird - when stepping on brakes gas gauge goes to zero and alt light brite. Real problem - groan. Methodically search: put in new fuse. step on brakes - no prob. Turn on fogs - no prob. Turn on park lights - no prob. Turn on headlights - no prob. turn sig left - no prob. turn sig right - POP! fuse blows - AHA!! Now this sould be simple. Check connections at frnt/rear lights - no prob. Trace circuit back. Gets bad - 914-6 wiring is part 914, part 911, part wtf?!? Whole lotta wires pile-on to emergency light switch then split of in a hundred directions. Guess I gotta merge into the fast lane and stay put beer.gif
DNHunt
Problem solved. A diode on the alternator lamp. Interestingly, it had to be right there. I tried it on the red white wire where it first connects to lights on the gauge. No stop. I'm sure there's a reason but, I'm too sick of it to think about it now. I'll tie things up and go for a drive. mueba.gif

James

I'd love to ditch the old relay board, but the MS relay board is 1 relay short. They're pretty cheap so maybe I'll add another board later

Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.