Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to Clean Fuse Block for $3
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Sixer
Once you have the block out (you did take pictures or do a drawing??), you will need 3 things from the Dollar store. Plastic long sealing tub, stiff tooth brush and big bottle of lemon juice. You will need some salt too but there should be some in the cabinet.
Place fuse block in tray and fill 2/3 with lemon juice. Put lid on and shake up making sure everything gets coated. Wait 5 minutes and turn block over for another 5 min. Take stiff toothbrush and get after it. For the dark spots, put some salt on brush and scrub. Rinse clean. Your should be good for another lifetime.
mepstein
I use vinegar but same idea. I think it works best to buy a second fuse block, clean it and transfer one wire at a time. Then clean your old one and sell it or put away for the next 40 years.
914Sixer
Spare block is handy.
Mark Henry
Done this many times. smile.gif
I use a AA electric tooth brush, the type with the replaceable head. The wife replaces the tooth bushes every few years and there's usually nothing wrong with them, so they get re-purposed.
I just saw she bought a large brush head kit from Costco...so this reminds me to go steal a couple happy11.gif
913B
What should you rinse it clean with, is water ok?
Is it bad to soak it in the lemon juice overnight or not necessary?

Thanks,

pray.gif
914Sixer
About 5 min a side is good. Should clean up really quick. Rinse in plain old water. You can even get some Brasso and polish the terminals if you want.
rhodyguy
Excellent post Mark.
Front yard mechanic
I like to add a little tequila to my lemon juice then my fuse block looks much better drunk.gif
AZBanks
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Jan 27 2020, 08:05 AM) *

I like to add a little tequila to my lemon juice then my fuse block looks much better drunk.gif

Every time I put tequila in with my lemon juice my car stumbles and won't drive straight for a few hours. Maybe I'm putting in too much??
mbseto
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 26 2020, 07:25 PM) *

Done this many times. smile.gif
I use a AA electric tooth brush, the type with the replaceable head. The wife replaces the tooth bushes every few years and there's usually nothing wrong with them, so they get re-purposed.
I just saw she bought a large brush head kit from Costco...so this reminds me to go steal a couple happy11.gif

She never notices it tastes like lemon?
914Sixer
Fuses came in today so I loaded it for 1974 -76.
rhodyguy
Stock in used, were about give aways, just went up. When I was tearing apart way cheap beaters, now 'B' level projects, I don't think I ever pulled one.
76-914
Good write up! beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.