Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: xr700 electronic ignition where to mount ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brcacti
Hello can I mount this on the firewall above the coil over the thick rubber insulation? Mechanics where would you mount it?
gereed75
I mounted mine under the battery tray, “back to back” with the CD unit (six) fits in that spot nicely. Sorry no pix, many miles from my car
Mark Henry
My MSD I hacked/welded a /6 CDI bracket and it's mounted in the stock location, bolted to the front of the battery tray.

IPB Image
gereed75
[quote name='Mark Henry' post='2781339' date='Jan 28 2020, 05:57 PM']
My MSD I hacked/welded a /6 CDI bracket and it's mounted in the stock location, bolted to the front of the battery tray.

Here is a pic robbed from pelican that shows the stock CD mount on a six. Mounted my XR700 on the back side of the CD mount plate. Works great thereClick to view attachment
brcacti
Oh boy, don't want it near the battery. I have a project coming up where I have to grind the old battery tray off and put a new one on. Any other great places for it?
gereed75
QUOTE(brcacti @ Jan 28 2020, 09:12 PM) *

Oh boy, don't want it near the battery. I have a project coming up where I have to grind the old battery tray off and put a new one on. Any other great places for it?

Not sure why. The new batteries are virtually sealed. The old rain battery acid issues are pretty much a thing of the past.
Coondog
QUOTE(brcacti @ Jan 28 2020, 06:12 PM) *

Patience my friend. It will look better under the battery tray.
porschetub
QUOTE(brcacti @ Jan 29 2020, 03:12 PM) *

Make a bolt on bracket than you can add to your new battery tray latter,no problem being near the battery,its the best place ,Porsche used this area for the 6 cylinder cars unit.
I mounted my CDI there and fitted it with the plug facing down ,my battery tray is a custom one that bolts on.
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.