Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking for a new jack
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914forme
My newest car in the fleet is a 2006 BMW 7 Series, Alpina. It is super low, it is so low that I have to take the jack saddle off the jack to get it under the car. Had to do the same thing on my 914-4 when I was racing it. See it comes back on topic. Unlike the 914-4 which is a ton full of gas, my 7 series is a bit more .... lets say refined.

I used a small jack for the 914, worked out great, but then I was lifting maybe a half ton at a time.

I am now looking for a great low profile high quality floor jack. Of course I wub.gif AC Hydralics Jacks. But I am open to suggestions if someone has something they have used that gets down in the 3" range.
mepstein
Low pro HF. They are good. Much better quality than years ago.
tygaboy
Stephen - Good ol' Harbor Freight has a Daytona line. Long reach with a 3 1/4 in starting height. Here's one.
rhodyguy
Just looked at the HF flyer today. On sale. A 3 ton that lifts from 3 1/8" to 19 7/8". Use a 20% off super coupon.
cary
Ditto on what Mark & Chris said . HF.
bkrantz
Love my AC DK20Q
Rob-O
I have one of the Daytona jacks. Actually pretty good quality for the cost.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 28 2020, 04:52 PM) *

I had one blow out on me last weekend, 1000 miles from home. The plug flew off, into the weeds. It was pouring fluid, but I had enough to get the car on the trailer, then it went into the scrap pile.
It was about 2 years old, so no the quality isn't great, the price is yes, quality nope.

The pic is me trying in vain to find said plug....
Rob-O
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Jan 29 2020, 07:42 PM) *

I had one blow out on me last weekend, 1000 miles from home. The plug flew off, into the weeds. It was pouring fluid, but I had enough to get the car on the trailer, then it went into the scrap pile.
It was about 2 years old, so no the quality isn't great, the price is yes, quality nope.

Too bad you tossed it, I see the plug...
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(Rob-O @ Jan 29 2020, 07:56 PM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Jan 29 2020, 07:42 PM) *

Too bad you tossed it, I see the plug...

Doubt they will be reunited, the plug is in SC, the jack in NY. It was good riddance, the jack was always finicky.
Rob-O
What did you replace it with?

And I was kidding about the plug...
Rob-O
***double post***
Cairo94507
So.... not a word about the 356? Come on now. beerchug.gif
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(Rob-O @ Jan 30 2020, 09:53 AM) *

I didn't, there was enough fluid in the jack that even with it pumping out everywhere I had enough hydraulics to get it on the trailer.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jan 30 2020, 01:31 PM) *

So.... not a word about the 356? Come on now. beerchug.gif

62 T6B sunroof car, Euro delivery, still has the Euro heating and the license plate holder.
rhodyguy
Not many garage jacks see that sort of service. They roll better on lift with a strip of plywood on the dirt and sod.
Rob-O
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Jan 30 2020, 03:23 PM) *

I didn't, there was enough fluid in the jack that even with it pumping out everywhere I had enough hydraulics to get it on the trailer.

Oh, I meant once you got back to the shop and tossed it, did you replace it with anything? Might be good information for the OP.

Beautiful 356, even in its current state.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(Rob-O @ Jan 30 2020, 08:34 PM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Jan 30 2020, 03:23 PM) *

Oh, I meant once you got back to the shop and tossed it, did you replace it with anything? Might be good information for the OP.

Beautiful 356, even in its current state.

No, it's been a shitty jack since we bought it, and we have 4 other real ones at the shop so I was happy to see it leave. I think we bought it on the road one time when we needed one, the price was great! Quality was not. I'll have to check what brands the other ones are, one is a Craftsman, had that one for over a decade.
sixnotfour
2 yrs old... plug blew out ....maintenance...buy warrantee...alum. jack in dirt ?
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jan 30 2020, 11:35 PM) *

2 yrs old... plug blew out ....maintenance...buy warrantee...alum. jack in dirt ?

Buy warrantee on a jack that has been junk since day 1? Spend more money on it? Like I said, we bought it one time on a road trip when we needed it in a pinch, but it has always disappointed. And yes I always bring an aluminum jack on road trips, try lugging a steel jack through the woods.
Unobtanium-inc
Here are the workhorse jacks we use around the shop.
We have Big Red Brand, and Larin brand.

I recommend going with a good steel jack if you plan to leave it at the shop and it doesn't need to go anywhere. The good steel jacks and the cheap aluminum HF jacks are about the same price, but the steel heavy duty ones last years and take a beating. The HF race style aluminum jacks do not last, they look cool, and they're cheap, but they don't last. The black Larin jack I've had for about 15 years, never left me hanging.

Another handy jack to have in your arsenal is the motorcycle/gearbox lift jack, the blue one pictured. It works very well when you need a more stable platform for engines and gearboxes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.