Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How many additional quarts of oil do you need?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Craigers17
So this is probably a stupid question, but I'm assuming that if you choose to run an external oil cooler, you have to add at least another quart of oil due to the additional volume in the lines and cooler coils.

I'm also guessing that the additional volume varies depending upon the cooler location. So if a stock 2.0 - 4 takes roughly 3.5-4 quarts, how much additional oil is required? Let's assume a rear mounted unit.

Or...is it as simple as fill up the cooler and lines, install, and then fill as normal until it matches the dipstick fill line?

Any advice/ridicule is welcome. Thanks.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Jan 29 2020, 03:48 PM) *
How many additional quarts of oil do you need?, External oil cooler question.

There's no one right answer for that, every install of a remote cooler i have seen has been different.

Mine takes about 16 quarts total to fill up nicely.
unsure.gif
Mark Henry
I assuming T4 with a plate cooler, 8AN lines.
Maybe a liter.
Coondog
12 quarts for my 3.2
VaccaRabite
Yeah mine with a rear mounted aux cooler, lines and a tuna can is about 5 quarts instead of 4 if everything drains out.

But that said, the oil cooler never completely drains so its more like 4.5.
Zach
tomeric914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 29 2020, 07:07 PM) *

HOLY CRAP Andy! Just how big is your cooler and tank?

I have a 12" x 12" Setrab cooler that lays flat up front and a Patrick tank behind me. Anything more than 10-11 quarts in it and it starts filling the burp tank when running hard on the track. So it's more of a try and see thing depending on how you run your car.

Andy is running a 3.6 and I'm running a 3.0, both dry sumps.

For the OP, I'd fill the engine to the dipstick line, take it for a short drive, park it and let it cool down, then check the level and add oil as needed.

Steve
QUOTE(Coondog @ Jan 29 2020, 06:08 PM) *

12 quarts for my 3.2

Same with mine. Braided -12 lines and PMS oil cooler up front
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Jan 30 2020, 08:49 AM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 29 2020, 07:07 PM) *

HOLY CRAP Andy! Just how big is your cooler and tank?

I have a 12" x 12" Setrab cooler that lays flat up front and a Patrick tank behind me. Anything more than 10-11 quarts in it and it starts filling the burp tank when running hard on the track. So it's more of a try and see thing depending on how you run your car.

Andy is running a 3.6 and I'm running a 3.0, both dry sumps.

For the OP, I'd fill the engine to the dipstick line, take it for a short drive, park it and let it cool down, then check the level and add oil as needed.

Andy has a six.
Craigers17
Thanks for everyone's input....very interesting. I would have never thought that on big sixes with front coolers, it would take up to 16 quarts. I bought a car that should be in my possession soon, and I'm thinking about relocating the cooler from it's current position up front back to the rear. If I do relocate, I would be going to a smaller cooler with a fan, which was one reason for the question.

There are a few reasons for the relocation, but I want to see it in person before I get to deep in the details. Thanks and I'll post pics when I get the car.
beerchug.gif
brant
my front mounted cooler on my Type 4, takes 9quarts total

my twin front mounted coolers on my /6 take 19quarts total
(and I do an oil change in this car after every weekend it runs...)
brant
QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Jan 30 2020, 06:56 PM) *

Thanks for everyone's input....very interesting. I would have never thought that on big sixes with front coolers, it would take up to 16 quarts. I bought a car that should be in my possession soon, and I'm thinking about relocating the cooler from it's current position up front back to the rear. If I do relocate, I would be going to a smaller cooler with a fan, which was one reason for the question.

There are a few reasons for the relocation, but I want to see it in person before I get to deep in the details. Thanks and I'll post pics when I get the car.
beerchug.gif

front coolers ultimately cool better..
so depending on the wear state of the motor and its ability to maintain temp... you will bet better cooling out of a proper front system
Craigers17
QUOTE(brant @ Jan 31 2020, 02:06 PM) *

QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Jan 30 2020, 06:56 PM) *

beerchug.gif

front coolers ultimately cool better..
so depending on the wear state of the motor and its ability to maintain temp... you will bet better cooling out of a proper front system

That's a valid point, and I really didn't want to get too deep in the weeds on this before I have laid eyes on exactly how things are set up with this vehicle. However, I THINK the current owner is using airflow from the holes behind the valence/spoiler area, as it is currently missing the front spoiler.

When I replace the front spoiler, I don't think there will be sufficient airflow to feed the cooler. Ideally, I would like to close those holes back. My other option would be to make a proper cutout for the cooler, however there is a better than 50/50 chance that this car is a mostly original Bumblebee LE, so I don't want to cut on it.

Much of this is supposition on my part, and I need to see it in order to really view what is going on. I've included a pic of an old car of mine with the area in question that I think he is currently using to provide airflow to the current unit. It's where the 8 or 9 black caps are....imagine if they were removed.
Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
So, that is exactly what we did on my car. I have the GT style oil cooler in the front trunk and we left the 5 center most black plugs out and have the valance slightly modified to allow more air to flow to those openings. We have a shroud covering the oil cooler and sealing to the trunk floor. The floor is louvered for air to flow out. We should know pretty soon how that works for cooling. beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Craigers17
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jan 31 2020, 04:22 PM) *

So, that is exactly what we did on my car. I have the GT style oil cooler in the front trunk and we left the 5 center most black plugs out and have the valance slightly modified to allow more air to flow to hose openings. We have a shroud covering the oil cooler and sealing to the trunk floor. The floor is louvered for air to flow out. We should know pretty soon how that works for cooling. beerchug.gif

That's actually very encouraging info.....especially considering the build quality of your six. I'll take an even closer look at your build thread and get some additional visuals.
I appreciate your feedback...by the way, it goes without saying, your car looks fantastic!
beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
Thank you very much. The credit goes to Kent, Jim, Andy and Bob. They know what they are doing.

Here are a couple pictures showing the front valance:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.