Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cylinder differences?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TheCabinetmaker
I have a spare 2 litre motor that been stored for a while. It had loosened a valve seat a few years ago, and I swapped it with a 1.7. Sunday, I got it down from storage and took the heads off to go to the machine shop. One of the cylinders had no head gasket. I also noticed it didn't have a shoulder around the base of the head mating surface. Today my machinist calls to tell me that one side of the head has been ground too far. The head that dropped the seat had been redone by a local vw guy who should not be touching a 914(his shop name was on the head) He's a bit on the "shady" side. I also have another 2L that has no shoulders on any of the cylinders. anybody know anything about the difference in the cylinders ? confused24.gif
Brad Roberts
What do you mean "shoulder" on the cylinders. Do you have a digital camera so you can show me what your referring to ??

B
TheCabinetmaker
At the top of the cylinder, where the sleeve sticks up from the cooling fins.I will try to post some pics tomorrow.
Aaron Cox
ive heard of some cylinders that are "cut-to-length" so you get yur desired deckhight- they are literally an inch taller than stock, i forgot who makes em. hope this helps
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.