Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front end damage
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Stuckon914
As you can see this 914 has an old front end damage to the right side. Rest of the car is in decent shape, some rust but less than any other east coast I’ve seen. How much is invoked in repairing the front end issue? If I go look at it what should I look for?
dlee6204
That has been hit pretty hard. It wouldn’t be a repair for a novice IMO. The front would need to be pulled back before any honest repairs can be made.
Mikey914
Have the repair done professionally, unless your in for a big project. It is repairable, not really all that bad in the grad scheme of things. Don’t let it distract you from the rust. Check the longs, the hell hole and at the base of the firewall. If the look good offer up accordingly. It can cost more in rust repair than the front end damage, but a salvageable car from what I can see.
Tdskip
Just be careful that the total cost of fixing that plus buying the car doesn't exceed getting one that hasn't been hit.

The more pictures you can share of any potential purchase the better.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Chris H.
@mcmark has been working on a celette bench setup that could yank that straight. You'll want to look closely at the alignment of all the panels, the top, open and close the doors, look at the headlight bucket alignment, etc. to get an idea of how far off it is. Door alignment looks fairly straight from here. Definitely agree it's been hit hard and would need professional help.
Steve
I agree with all the above. Find a shop that has a celette bench and get a quote to fix it properly. Some body shops will just pull it out with chains and hammers, but the car will never be correct.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
that damage is really light. Car must be tied to a frame machine and the damage pulled out. a good frame man can save the car so that it will need MINIMAL body work.
Years ago we repaired much much worse!!

QUOTE(Stuckon914 @ Jan 31 2020, 06:17 AM) *

As you can see this 914 has an old front end damage to the right side. Rest of the car is in decent shape, some rust but less than any other east coast I’ve seen. How much is invoked in repairing the front end issue? If I go look at it what should I look for?

mepstein
To me it’s a parts car that is fixable but the cost to fix is more than the car is worth. At $100-200/hour, the dollars add up very quickly.
...And then you still have to fix the rust.
Mikey914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 31 2020, 07:39 AM) *

To me it’s a parts car that is fixable but the cost to fix is more than the car is worth. At $100-200/hour, the dollars add up very quickly.
...And then you still have to fix the rust.

The amount of rust in other places will be the swing factor between parts and driver. The damage in the front is not insignificant but if that’s all, it’s very doable, only a matter of cost. With rising prices it very well maypencil out.
Stuckon914
Thanks for the tips. Saw a few more pictures and there may be some more rust than initially seen.
I’m going to recommend my nephew pass on this. If anyone is interested I can email the ad to them.
rhodyguy
Passing is the smart move. Too many ifs and maybes. Hardest lesson to learn. What was the ask on that car?
Stuckon914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 31 2020, 06:44 PM) *

Passing is the smart move. Too many ifs and maybes. Hardest lesson to learn. What was the ask on that car?

$5000, what do you think it’s worth?
mepstein
QUOTE(Stuckon914 @ Jan 31 2020, 07:12 PM) *

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 31 2020, 06:44 PM) *

$5000, what do you think it’s worth?

$1,500
mtndawg
I would pass on that. I'll bet the repair is going to be expensive. You've got high ticket items like potential engine and tranny rebuild costs to think about too. $5,000 will get you a better car eventually.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.