Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel pump wiring?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
oakdalecurtis
Helping a friend install a fuel pump in his 73 2.0 in a few days. Does it matter which way the hot and ground wire go to the pump? The connector looks bi directional....
SirAndy
QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Jan 31 2020, 10:21 AM) *

Helping a friend install a fuel pump in his 73 2.0 in a few days. Does it matter which way the hot and ground wire go to the pump? The connector looks bi directional....

It's been a long time but i think the connector only fits one way. if i recall correctly the center notch has a rounded cutout on one side that prevents the plug from being used both ways.
idea.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 31 2020, 10:28 AM) *
It's been a long time but i think the connector only fits one way. if i recall correctly the center notch has a rounded cutout on one side that prevents the plug from being used both ways.
idea.gif

IPB Image

914Sixer
Sir Andy is correct. Fuel pump also has + and - if the plug is missing. Brown wire is ground.
ClayPerrine
It matters. Run the pump backward and you don't get fuel pressure.

Rand
Of course it matters. You want to run the pump in the right direction. (DC motor science, the direction it runs is determined by the polarity. Get it wrong and you suck biggrin.gif )

There are different terminal sizes that are easy to see. And wire colors. Aftermarket fuel pumps just use wire terminals, not keyed connectors. And no, I will not spend over $300 for a fuel pump just because it has the right connector. It amazes me how many people will pay such huge money when a good fuel pump is under $40.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Rand @ Jan 31 2020, 08:53 PM) *

Get it wrong and you suck biggrin.gif

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.