Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Djet - can this be saved?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanpaulmc
Dear 914 Brain Trust -

I picked up this D-jet system for perhaps some day down the road. Would like to get your opinion on the D-jet system (in general) and if this box of equipment seems salvageable or not.

I'm thinking 2056 down the road if I were to keep, renew, and use this. However, I need to know if this is for a 2.0L or not.

Click to view attachment

Are all the pieces there?
Some are pretty cruddy and look like they'll need replacement. $$$
What's missing?
Can the ECU be tested?
How to test out the other components?

I tried to capture part numbers where possible but there was no part number on the ECU, just an RT in a circle and 331. Nothing legible.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

So, what do you think? Slowly refurbish it, or sell it for parts?

As always, appreciate the great input here.

Thanks,
Sean

BeatNavy
Here, you can go through this in detail and check: https://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/DJetParts.htm

It has some testing procedures for individual components.

But in general it does look like 2.0 D-Jet ('74 and later). The air box and plenum are definitely 2.0. The MPS p/n (043) is a '74 and later 2.0 MPS. I think I see green injectors, which are 2.0. Most of the other stuff is not specific to 2.0 (e.g., fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, decal valve, AAR, etc.).

The fuel pump looks trashed. I doubt that would work (or work for long). I'd get the injectors serviced by someone like Mr. Injector. Soak the decal valve in PB Blaster. The ECU can be tested on another car or with one of those D-Jet analyzer tools (e.g., Janbo) that Jeff Bowlsby probably has. Those are pretty hardy though, so it's probably good. I'd check the wiring harness for continuity and look for shorts.
ejm
You'll also need a distributor with trigger points to make that system work.
914werke
Beat me to it, didnt see an Dizzy...
JeffBowlsby
Looks like a good start on the system. Even if it complete, no doubt one or more parts probably don't work. Each part is easy enough to test see the Nadres site linked above.

That harness is a core only...you'll need a new one.
seanpaulmc
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Identified as a Djet system for a 1974 2.0L or later.

Thanks for the link to the Djet site BeatNavy. That site has some great comprehensive information.
I also appreciate the feedback on the harness JeffBowlsby. I agree about replacing. You’ll have a future customer soon.
And, I do not have the dizzy. Will need to source one.

Other items include:
Rebuild the MPS upfront.
Get the injectors serviced.
Test fuel pump / better to replace.
Replace all hoses.
Clean and inspect throttle body.
Source the other bits and pieces.

Questions:
Does anyone here test the ECU?
Do I need an original distributor that works this system or are there preferred aftermarkets varieties?
Anyone have a good working dizzy that would work in this application?
JamesM
QUOTE(seanpaulmc @ Feb 2 2020, 07:01 PM) *

Questions:
Does anyone here test the ECU?

No, but they rarerly die

QUOTE(seanpaulmc @ Feb 2 2020, 07:01 PM) *

Do I need an original distributor that works this system or are there preferred aftermarkets varieties?
Anyone have a good working dizzy that would work in this application?

You have to have a distributor with d-jet trigger points, not to mention a working set of trigger points which are a wear item and NLA. These guys make a moddern verions and are probably your best bet

https://123ignitionusa.com/porsche/

Ive assembled (and past smog tests with) a few d-jet systems from piles of parts and it looks like you have a really good start there. As others have said, fuel pump and injectors are the real unknowns. I would get a new two port fuel pump just on principal. Old harness may be a gamble but you can test it prior to installing. Perform a vaccum test on the MPS, it may be good to go and if not they are rebuildable. Anything else that looks cruddy can be cleaned up and made to work without to much effort

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.