Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ignition giving me fits
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
xsboost90
Finally got the car running better and better, but since ive installed my xr700 i havent been able to actually set the timing correctly. I have not had points in this motor since i installed it, so its hard to say if it would make a difference. I didnt build the motor, im wondering if they set the distributor drive in wrong or something. I set the engine to TDC at the 0 mark. Then line the dist up so the rotor is lined in the middle of the #1 wire on the cap. Then i adjust the LED to line up w/ the slot in the rotor wheel till the light comes on. Seems like no matter how i adjust this back and forth, the motor only runs properly w/ the dist about 20degrees advanced from there. Finally i had enough, i pulled the unit out and installed a points set, set them to .016 gap at full open, but now it wont start. Its getting spark at the points, and the coil wire, but nothing from the wires. I replaced the cap w/ another spare i have, still nothing. IM wondering if my plugs are slightly fouled or if i have weak spark. ANy advice on setting up points? I know i need a meter to set it final but now im just trying to get it back to stock or to run at least. headbang.gif confused24.gif
xsboost90
anyone have a 944 they want to trade for? A nice mt. bike? Hell, a skateboard? dry.gif
Van914
Dan,
Are you setting the timing at 3,500 RPM? That is what you need to do. The X-700 should make your car run better not worse. Check to see if the Advance Mech. is working too. Call me and I will help you set it up.
Van
xsboost90
yeah im thinking the mech advance is f-d up, may pull that apart tonite. May need you to come over and put it back together though. biggrin.gif Anyone have a nice shiney dist for a 2.0 to stick in there? I think this one is off some misc. shelf they handed me when i bought this motor, not the one that was in it.
Joe Ricard
Do you have a spare rotor? or are you using one of them fancy rev limiter jobbies.
I mean if you are putting fire into the dizzy but not coming out thats the only thing in the middle.
bd1308
i have a rotor on my dash right now. works fine....i can throw it in a envelope and express it to you....

if ya want
xsboost90
took out the rev limiter rotor and put in a standard issue. Does anyone know if this is the correct distributor for my car? I tried to find this website that listed the dist. but i couldnt find it.

JFUDX4 <----
0231174 011
039 905 205A

i have a 74 2.0 confused24.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (xsboost90 @ Jul 5 2005, 04:48 PM)
Does anyone know if this is the correct distributor for my car? 039 905 205A
i have a 74 2.0

yup.
xsboost90
finally found brad's website, sure nuf the right dist. I took mine completely apart and cleaned everything up, got all the gunk out, put alittle dialectric grease on the cams and moving stuff like the ball. Everything seems to move alittle nicer now but no real reason that it wouldnt have been working ok. dry.gif Im going to hook the xr700 unit back up to it and try to set it all back up again.
Aaron Cox
shoulda gone with a pertronix rolleyes.gif

so much easier to set up smile.gif

but it wont run with points???? weerd dry.gif
Gary#
My experience installing the XR-700 on my 2.0 '73 F.I.
To really do the job right, I had to remove the dizzy. Once you have it removed, mount it securely. I used shop towels wrapped around small wood blocks - sweetly (not2tight) secured in my vise. Follow the directions provided with the unit & as you do - make certain that every single moving part has clearance & that the doo-dad you choose from the assortment of doo-dads is mounted with equal clearance on BOTH sides of the trigger points. Slowly spin the dizzy. If the clearance of the doo-dad changes in relation to the trigger rotation - adjust it with 'lil tiny taps 'til you can maintain the clearance 360 degrees as specified in the directions. Then - I openly admit - I used a Q-Tip to apply a mini-bead of ultra-black permatex to the inner edge - where the doodad contacts the dizzy shaft. As you slowly rotate the dizzy, make certain that #1 lines up just prior to the break in the doo-dad in relation to the diode. Use the adjustor to set. Then-one small drop of medium loc-tite applied to the set-screw. Adjust your timing from there. Should be really close. Mines been purrfect for 4 years & counting.
G-Luck biggrin.gif Cheers beerchug.gif
xsboost90
the problems ive been having w/ mine is, when you line the tdc up, then line the cap up w/ the rotor, there isnt enough adjustment either way to get the eye to line up correctly. I finally got it all set tonite, again, tdc, rotor pointing to #1, light on w/ led on leading edge....itll start, idle for two seconds then die. Over and over. WTF? Put in some different plugs, checked the injector pulses, everything is aok from what i can see. Itll start and idle perfect, if you give it any gas or move for that matter, it dies. confused24.gif
Joe Ricard
It's not the ignition.
move to FI troubleshooting. Wish I could help but my carbs don't do that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.