Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 steering wheels fit?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Just saw this on a craigslist car, not mine, and was surprised to see what looks to be a 80s 911 new steering wheel on it. Does that mean the column has been modified?Click to view attachment
nickg
could be from an early 944 or 924
Tdskip
Good point - early 924 wheels look like that.

Those fit properly?
nickg
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Feb 3 2020, 11:15 AM) *

Good point - early 924 wheels look like that.

Those fit properly?

i am not sure, i often thought so because the column is the same on beetles, 914 and early 944...my guess is its from a 944
i know 911 wheels dont elledgely swap
mepstein
I'm pretty sure 911 wheels swap with 914's up until the SC.
914Sixer
Yes they will fit BUT not RIGHT. BIG GAP on 72 up. Never put one on an early steering column. Look a your steering wheel and you will see how recessed the hub is.
TargaToy
Whatever model that's from, I think it looks a little too "chunky" to be a nice fit for the 914 interior.
sixnotfour
QUOTE(TargaToy @ Feb 3 2020, 02:45 PM) *

Whatever model that's from, I think it looks a little too "chunky" to be a nice fit for the 914 interior.

agree.gif 80s
porschetub
Correct,they were an optional wheel for the 924 and listed as an option on the early PET for the 944's also.
I seem to remember the steering column in these cars was from an early VW Golf,the 80's 911 had a very similar looking wheel but it was a different fit.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
just have to change the hub on them. we free the wheel from its original hub and then get a momo hub and bolt onto the original wheel where we remove the rivets, It then bolts right on to the four cylinder column

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Feb 3 2020, 11:58 AM) *

Just saw this on a craigslist car, not mine, and was surprised to see what looks to be a 80s 911 new steering wheel on it. Does that mean the column has been modified?Click to view attachment

ClayPerrine
I have said this before....

Every Porsche and VW, up to the point where the factory installed airbags, will interchange with every other. They are all splined the same.

The 914-4 requires an adapter sleeve on the bottom of the wheel to adapt to the smaller VW column. This plastic adapter holds the VW horn wiper and turn signal cancel ring. You can bolt that to the back of any Porsche wheel, and it will work in a 914 or VW.

The introduction of airbags required a complete redesign of the column. So a 964 or 993 steering wheel will not work on an earlier car.

I even saw a VW Thing with a 944 steering wheel on it. It used the 914 plastic adapter to make the horn work.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.