Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bosch S4-42 battery
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JeffBowlsby
Looking for a new battery and found this one. I need a stock looking looking battery for my 914. Sealed or gel preferred.

Any feedback on this one or have a better battery recommendation?
Mark Henry
Wet cell, some Bosch batteries have a vent connector and you can run a tube down under the car. How it's done on the 996.
euro911
I get my batteries for my Toyota trucks through AAA these days. They're rebranded (AAA) Interstate batteries, but with a couple of better features ... lower cost than any of the local shops that carry Interstate batteries, and AAA gives them a 6-year warranty instead of only 2-years through Interstate.
Amphicar770
I use the Optima batteries in all my classic cars. Most last me 10+ years and you never have to worry about them leaking acid into the hell hole.
JeffBowlsby
I formerly used the Optima's with good success, but my last one was short lived. Word got around about quality changes they made and and I have not gone back.

Turns out the Bosch S4-42 is too long to fit the stock tray...by about 1/4 inch.

I am still in the hunt for a decent battery.
euro911
A smaller size battery, but it works great and has good longevity: Odyssey PC925L
smg914
Jeff,
I have the Bosch S4 group 42 battery in all 3 914s. They fit perfectly without any modification. Mine are a few years old. Maybe they changed the dimensions on the newer ones.
Click to view attachment
smg914
I install them upside down. Maybe that's why they fit. blink.gif
raynekat
I'm homing in on buying one of these from XS Power.

Click to view attachment

Either the S1200 or the D4700.
Both are AGM and will fit our battery trays.
And the +/- terminals are in the correct position.
You'll need a set of the $10 terminals as well.
Jegs and Summit Racing carry them with free shipping.

Could be a good option over an Odyssey or Optima.
I'll post my thoughts, etc when I get the battery and install it.

D4700
62 Amp-hr
CA: 760
CCA: 668
9.49'' L x 6.93'' W x 7.48'' H (Group 47)
42.2 lbs
$279.99

S1200
55 Amp-hr
CA: 740
CCA: 651
7.80'' L x 6.54'' W x 6.69'' H
33.3 lbs
$229.99
FlacaProductions
good find but god those graphics are ugleeeee.
Hope those are stickers that could just get zipped off....
Ferg
Hi Jeff!

This is the Bosch I put in last year. So far so good. Not sealed I know but an option

96R-590B
raynekat
Just installed this AGM battery into my 914-6.
XS Power D4700 purchased from Jegs for $279.99 including shipping.
Specs:
12-Volt
CA: 760
CCA: 668
Ah: 62, 2000W / 3000W
Max Amps: 2900
Reserve Capacity: 110 Minutes
Weight: 42.2 lbs

Click to view attachment

Fits into the stock battery tray perfectly allowing use of the factory battery clamp.
The battery has cleats (or feet) on both the front and back to accommodate this.
Terminals in the correct position as well....negative closest to the firewall.

The graphics may be a bit too wild for some, but I'm fine with it.
You could always cover them with some creative vinyl/graphics.

Click to view attachment
euro911
Just an FYI, I purchased an Odyssey PC925L for the 'BB' in 2012. It worked great, but then after attending the 2015 Rt-66 and the 2015 WCR, my clutch cable busted. I didn't get around to installing a hydraulic clutch release system until early 2018, so the car sat idle all that time - and the battery was never on the charger.

I thought I was going to have to purchase a new battery, as I put the car on the market the summer of 2018. I thought I'd try charging it and it took a full charge, turned my 9.5 C/R 2056 over just fine.

3 years with no charge, I was happily surprised ... a $130. battery. So much, that I purchased another one for my '71 914.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpa...zQaAouQEALw_wcB

The PC925 measures 6-15/32" in length, 6-78" wide, and 4-7/8" tall. The battery weighs less than 24 pounds.

925 cranking amps for 5 seconds
870 cranking amps for 10 seconds
765 cranking amps for 20 seconds
Short circuit current over 2400A
28 amp hours
50 minute reserve capacity with 25amp load
Female brass terminal w/M6 SS bolt
raynekat
The "only" 28 Amp-hrs is what soured me on buying Odyssey PC925.
Just not enough juice to run all your accessories.
Root_Werks
A few have already mentioned the PC925 and PC925L, I've been using the PC925 in my Bug for years, works great. Getting one for my recently acquired 914-6. I had one in a car for 8+ years and it still worked great.
Maury4
I've used the PC 925with good success.
911GT2
I've put a Varley red top 25 in my VW buggy.

I'm planning to do the same on the 914. It's a compact racing battery which is powerful enough to start the car and compact and light. It can be mounted vertically and horizontally (and everything in between) and with the bracket you can almost put it anywhere you want.

I see no real need for a bigger battery since it's always on the trickle charger when parked in my garage.
raynekat
Here's the battery with one of the covers on it (got mine from AA).
It fits perfect....even the rubber band.
Helps tone down the wild graphics on the top of the battery anyway.
I can live with the rest.

This to me is a very good option for batteries for these cars.
It's AGM (no spilling acid) and has sufficient Amp-hr (62) to keep up with most of the typical electrical loads you'll see on the car.

Click to view attachment
JeffBowlsby
No engine bay sound pad? How close is the front of the battery to the front wall? Enough for a 1/2 in pad?
JeffBowlsby
dup post
raynekat
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Feb 24 2020, 04:56 PM) *

No engine bay sound pad? How close is the front of the battery to the front wall? Enough for a 1/2 in pad?

Never planned on any engine bay sound pad.
Got enough sound deadener on the cabin side, plus I wanted the white paint to brighten up the engine so it wasn't so dark in there.

I think the battery could scootch to the rear in the tray another 1/4" so you should be fine I would think.
euro911
QUOTE(911GT2 @ Feb 20 2020, 09:41 AM) *
I've put a Varley red top 25 in my VW buggy.

I'm planning to do the same on the 914. It's a compact racing battery which is powerful enough to start the car and compact and light. It can be mounted vertically and horizontally (and everything in between) and with the bracket you can almost put it anywhere you want.

I see no real need for a bigger battery since it's always on the trickle charger when parked in my garage.

Interesting ... looks very similar to the Odyssey PC680 AGM starter battery that I have on my 5kW generator. It was one of several batteries used in a Cal Poly college electric vehicle several years ago, and it still works great. I keep it trickle-charged with a 5-watt solar panel.
raynekat
Final iteration of my faux Bosch battery.

Just added a bit of black vinyl and an Ebay Bosch decal and there you have it.
Would fool most folks.
A great priced AGM battery that fits perfectly into our battery tray for $279 delivered.

Click to view attachment

Quite a transformation from what I started with:

Click to view attachment
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ Feb 4 2020, 06:03 PM) *

I use the Optima batteries in all my classic cars. Most last me 10+ years and you never have to worry about them leaking acid into the hell hole.

^ Same here, but Jeff's post has me wondering how long this third one will last.

Have been thinking that I may want to go to one of the lightweight batteries next time, as the prospect of saving 20-30+ pounds is highly appealing after a six conversion—and all the more so given where it is. They aren't inexpensive, but their premium over a nice battery is very attractive against other methods of saving similar amounts of weight.

Reservations include cost, safety, and whether any of them are a good application for my use. I don't leave a tender on the car, and yet the Optima never lets me down. Get in, turn the key (sometimes after weeks, or worse…) and go.
bbrock
Recently I checked the date on the Optima yellow top I've had in my snow plow for quite some time. Even I was shocked that I installed it in 2004. Still going strong in a vehicle seldom driven and powering a snow plow through many Montana winters to boot. Can't count the number of times it has fired right up at -20 F and lower after sitting a week.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(raynekat @ Mar 12 2020, 11:42 PM) *

Final iteration of my faux Bosch battery.

Just added a bit of black vinyl and an Ebay Bosch decal and there you have it.
Would fool most folks.
A great priced AGM battery that fits perfectly into our battery tray for $279 delivered.

Click to view attachment

Quite a transformation from what I started with:

Click to view attachment

Battery looks great. Even a little familiar.
Tell us about the MFI engine.
raynekat
It's a stock 2.7 MFI spec engine, S cams, S spec heads, S spec throttle bodies and plastic stacks.
8.5:1 compression.
Dyno'd at about 230 hp at the crank.
Rothsport built the engine so it rocks.

Started with a 2.4 T MFI that was pretty worn out.

Click to view attachment

raynekat
Ended up with this:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

euro911
Sweet. What's the type 616 going in?
rgalla9146
QUOTE(raynekat @ Mar 13 2020, 12:25 AM) *

Love

My favorite engines.
Is there a clearance issue in the 914 chassis with the MFI pump drive ?
raynekat
No clearance problem at all with the MFI pump drive.
Car (914) was made for this engine.
Root_Werks
Bought a PC1200 for my 914-6 and mostly am satisfied with it. I touted the Odyssey PC925 having used them before so I figured the PC1200 would be that much better. I didn't like how after everything warmed up, it didn't seem to have the same umph.

It's okay and will migrate to my VW Bug.

Back to shopping for a battery for the 914-6. I'm thinking of the PC1400.

https://www.batterymart.com/p-ody-35-pc1400.html

I'm basing dimensions off a Group 42 battery. I don't think the PC1400 will be too tall.
thelogo
Sealed lead acid . still cant be beat .

But if you park it outside somewhere for 10 years
Take out the bat first bye1.gif
ChrisFix
For those who are using Optima - What Optima battery fits a stock 1.8L car? Does it use the factory hold down? Need a battery ASAP and would like to source an AGM that is easy to obtain and install.
I've read posts saying the 34R is too tall for the rain tray...and others saying it fits. And posts saying to use the 34 vs the 34R, or the 34/78. I'm looking for a drop in solution if available.
Thanks in advance...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.