Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why in tarnations did they do that?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ahycaramba
Ok I had my car media blasted and found something very interesting. On both sides of the floor board and one under the foot pedals there are round impressions with a half moon shape cut into them, total of five. Is this from the factory? What was their thought process on that? idea.gif screwy.gif Thinking of welding them up.

Thanks in advance
Al

Click to view attachment
gms
Most likely spot welder access or assembly line attachment related
ahycaramba
QUOTE(gms @ Feb 3 2020, 08:24 PM) *

At first I thought it was put there for drainage purposes but realized that wasn’t it because they were covers in seam sealer.
Thanks for the clarity.
SirAndy
QUOTE(gms @ Feb 3 2020, 08:24 PM) *

agree.gif
peteyd
I think that Al is asking about the circled portion.

Click to view attachment

These were present on all 911 floorpans as well. They were probably for drainage. That is all that we can imagine they were for. Whether it was for a process on the assembly line? I'm sure the 911 guys have discussed it as well.

Pete
ahycaramba
Thanks for the insight gentlemen.
Pete you were right on the money as to what i was referring to.
I'm glad to know mine is not a one off.
beerchug.gif
Al
914forme
I wish it was for draining after it was dipped in anti corrosive, but most all of us have proof that never happened.
bkrantz
I see what you did there.
Literati914
QUOTE(ahycaramba @ Feb 3 2020, 10:06 PM) *

..screwy: Thinking of welding them up.

Yep, that's my plan welder.gif
ClayPerrine
The big round holes with the plugs in them were to hold the panel to the assembly jig. Once the body was assembled, the jig was removed and the plugs installed.

As for the small ones with the half moon cutout, I would doubt they were for spot welder access. That would require bending the metal before welding, and bending it back once done. Most spot welders on assembly lines are either big monsters with huge jaw openings, or they are built into the assembly jig.

Maybe for drainage when they dip primed the chassis.

UROpartsman
Indeed, these cut outs have been the subject of many discussions on 911 forums. Many folks believe they were intended to allow drainage after the parts were dip-primered, but Clay's body jig explanation also makes sense for the large holes. The openings were later sealed with bitumen on the inside and body schutz on the outside, so they were never intended to be open on a finished car.

Here's a NOS 911 floor pan with similar punch-outs.
ClayPerrine
I have a Porsche factory video of 356 bodies being built. It shows the metal being put on the jigs as they add each part, and they use the same big holes to connect to the jig. The little holes were to drain away the excess paint when the chassis was dip primered.

76-914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 6 2020, 09:16 AM) *

I have a Porsche factory video of 356 bodies being built. It shows the metal being put on the jigs as they add each part, and they use the same big holes to connect to the jig. The little holes were to drain away the excess paint when the chassis was dip primered.

Post it up in another thread Clay. drooley.gif
914forme
I guess Germans forgot primer is hygroscopic confused24.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 6 2020, 03:15 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 6 2020, 09:16 AM) *

Post it up in another thread Clay. drooley.gif

I will have to rip the cd that it is on.

Clay
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.