Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: tit removal on a 74
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dax1969
Hi guys,

My 914 is still somewhere on the ocean but ofcourse I am making a to-do list biggrin.gif
One of the things I plan on doing is removing the tits. As I want to plug the holes I was wondering if somebody knows the dimensions of these holes. Also if the holes are the same front and back.
Someone suggested that you could buy chrome caps at home depot but unfortunately we don't have home depot here. I want to source them online but I have no idea on dimensions or in what section to look for.

suggestions welcome... or if somebody has 8 pieces lying around

pics stolen fm one the threads here

Click to view attachment

thks in advance
Dax
Spoke
I just left the holes open. Weren't really that obvious. One could use a shiny carriage bolt to fill in the hole.
Hum_et_bons_riffs
I would use these :
IPB Image
size M6 length 20mm in stainless steel and then polish them to mirror finish.

You can find these here (not affiliated)

dax1969
QUOTE(Hum_et_bons_riffs @ Feb 4 2020, 01:13 PM) *

I would use these :
IPB Image

Thks, that is indeed my second option. Have them on my 911 till the euro bumper is back fm paint.

krgds
Dax
ctc911ctc
QUOTE(Hum_et_bons_riffs @ Feb 4 2020, 07:13 AM) *

I would use these :
IPB Image

agree.gif agree.gif
Our bumper is black, we added these and painted them to match.
914sgofast2
I used the bumper bolts from a 1970 VW Bug to fill the holes. Worked perfectly!
Ansbacher
I say don't remove them. '74 is a unique year because of the rear tits and you will be sorry you removed them the first time you back into something and they are not there for protection.

Ansbacher (fellow '74 owner)
dax1969
QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Feb 4 2020, 04:04 PM) *

I say don't remove them. '74 is a unique year because of the rear tits and you will be sorry you removed them the first time you back into something and they are not there for protection.

Not 100 % sure. Will test both, with and without and decide afterwards. If I can't plug the holes decently I will leave them on.
Big Len
QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Feb 4 2020, 11:04 AM) *

I agree.
It was the first thing I planned to do when I got my 74 too. Then, after some ass bumped me from behind, I decided to leave them. They do give the car a little more length as well as protection. At least keep the car for a while before you decide to do anything. Good luck.
tomeric914
1/4" chrome hole plug

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-4-in...00364/204331364
burton73
Danny buddie,

One of the things I see on a lot of these bumpers is that if they have been hit even a little it leaves a small dent in the bumper that shows when the tits are removed. I have a set or two with tits and there are small dents that are covered by them.

Guys have had their bumpers welded up and re-plated like in Oscars bumper refinishing group. Different strokes for different folks. I personally like the Tits on the chrome probably because my 1st 914 74 2.0 had them. Did you see how much it costs in Belgium for this work?

Best regards,

Bob B Burton

Cal
I actually don't mind the rear tits....the black goes nicely with the chrome.

EdwardBlume
13mm bolts I believe.

I had my 74 bumpers filled and rechromed.

Good luck!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
the holes are 8mm but do not do it! the guards well protect the expensive chrome bumper from little minor altercations, and are what the car came with from the factory, AND automatically plug the ugly holes!!!

QUOTE(dax1969 @ Feb 4 2020, 01:53 AM) *

Hi guys,

My 914 is still somewhere on the ocean but ofcourse I am making a to-do list biggrin.gif
One of the things I plan on doing is removing the tits. As I want to plug the holes I was wondering if somebody knows the dimensions of these holes. Also if the holes are the same front and back.
Someone suggested that you could buy chrome caps at home depot but unfortunately we don't have home depot here. I want to source them online but I have no idea on dimensions or in what section to look for.

suggestions welcome... or if somebody has 8 pieces lying around

pics stolen fm one the threads here

Click to view attachment

thks in advance
Dax

brcacti
QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Feb 4 2020, 08:04 AM) *

agree.gif I like them on whatever or whoever they are on. lol-2.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Feb 4 2020, 07:04 AM) *

I don't agree. The first time you back into something with the tits in place you'll oilcan the bumper. I think they do more harm than good.
9one4tay
On my 74' I filled all holes, and had it chromed.
Ansbacher
Quote from KELTY360:

I don't agree. The first time you back into something with the tits in place you'll oilcan the bumper. I think they do more harm than good.

Reply:

So are you advocating that '73 and '74 owners should remove their front tits as well?? If so, that would be a real blow to the concept of originality.

Ansbacher
KELTY360
QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Feb 4 2020, 06:32 PM) *

Quote from KELTY360:

Reply:

So are you advocating that '73 and '74 owners should remove their front tits as well?? If so, that would be a real blow to the concept of originality.

Ansbacher

I’m not advocating anything; only providing my experience with previous cars and what I’ve observed on bumpers for sale. I searched out ‘72 bumpers for my ‘74 because I didn’t want tits or the holes they leave behind.
PanelBilly
I think when you pull the tits off the chrome will be discolored under that area.
dax1969
Thks guys, the tit removal is slowly moving down on my priority list biggrin.gif

26th feb the vessel arrives Rotterdam...car should be on my driveway beginning of march. A good clean in/out, a good ride and oil/filter change is higher on the priority list.

krgds
Dax
IronHillRestorations
You can use some of the chrome pivot screws for the glovebox door. I'll bet Garold has a bunch.
mrholland2
I thought I saw someone somewhere replace the tits with the mini-tits from the 75/76 bumpers? Or did I dream it?
TonyA
QUOTE(Cal @ Feb 4 2020, 01:12 PM) *

I actually don't mind the rear tits....the black goes nicely with the chrome.

Can't believe you parked next to that thing!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.