Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: type 4 gasket set
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brant
do the VR gasket sets come with front and rear main gaskets?

I have a kit that I think is new
I've been trying to see what it may be missing or is it complete?
and I don't see front and rear main gaskets...

but don't see anything else missing and not sure the kits even come with the main gaskets?

I'm cleaning out the garage and intend to sell a lot of junk in the near future
but definitely do no want to mis-represent, so would love informed opinion about whether or not this is a complete gasket set.

TIA
brant
Nogoodwithusernames
I'm mid rebuild right now on a t4 motor and none of the gasket sets I've seen include the main seals.

Depending on what size this is for I may be interested when you get things listed up. (Edit: looks like it's for a 2.0 based on the intake gaskets so won't work on the 1.7 I'm working on.)
brant
QUOTE(Nogoodwithusernames @ Feb 4 2020, 09:50 AM) *

I'm mid rebuild right now on a t4 motor and none of the gasket sets I've seen include the main seals.

Depending on what size this is for I may be interested when you get things listed up. (Edit: looks like it's for a 2.0 based on the intake gaskets so won't work on the 1.7 I'm working on.)

thank you!
brant
QUOTE(Nogoodwithusernames @ Feb 4 2020, 09:50 AM) *

its a 2.0
I'll put it in the classifieds today or so...
Mikey914
oil pump gasket is missing
brant
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 4 2020, 09:58 AM) *

oil pump gasket is missing

I hadn't noticed
thank you...

is it supposed to be a round o'ring, or a paper gasket?
good eye..
914Sixer
Paper gasket and it should be in the kit. Main seals never included.
porschetub
Have used the VR sets but never seen front and rear seals included,good thing really as I don't like the rear main seals they make anyway,everthing else supplied seems fine as per my last build.
I bought 2 sets many years ago and I'am surprised how much more they cost now sad.gif .
brant
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Feb 4 2020, 10:43 AM) *

Paper gasket and it should be in the kit. Main seals never included.

thanks again... I'll shake everything up and look again tonight before I try to sell it used... don't want to misrepresent anything
dr914@autoatlanta.com
the 914 never came with the front and rear main seals unlike the 356 and 911 kits, nor did it come with the windage tray seals (which we had to have made)

QUOTE(brant @ Feb 4 2020, 09:38 AM) *

do the VR gasket sets come with front and rear main gaskets?

I have a kit that I think is new
I've been trying to see what it may be missing or is it complete?
and I don't see front and rear main gaskets...

but don't see anything else missing and not sure the kits even come with the main gaskets?

I'm cleaning out the garage and intend to sell a lot of junk in the near future
but definitely do no want to mis-represent, so would love informed opinion about whether or not this is a complete gasket set.

TIA
brant

76-914
I can't remember which brand I used about 10 years ago but the windage tray seals were in there. I remember looking at them and thinking what do these fit? Once I split the car I saw them and knew. Front a & rear mains, no. I bought those from some VW Bus supplier as the rear main was mentioned as being superior to others. I bought the OEM main bearings from you George. They were unobtanium at that time.
brant
Thanks again for all of great input!

I looked again at the set. Shook it to see the gaskets better

I think this is the oil pump gasket (with the 4 bolt holes)
motorvated
My gasket kit did not come with front or rear main seals. It came with one oil pump cover gasket, as does yours, when it appears that the oil pump housing on my engine has another paper gasket between it and the case which was not provided.

Not to high jack this thread, but what are the eight white ribbed plastic sleeve-like things that are shown in the plastic bags in the first couple of photos. My gasket kit also has them, but I haven't seen anything like them in/on my motor.
injunmort
vibration dampners for the cylinder studs used on a bus.
914Sixer
Vibration dampers go on all type 4 engines.
motorvated
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Feb 4 2020, 05:02 PM) *

Vibration dampers go on all type 4 engines.

If I'm not mistaken, there are 16 cylinder head studs on Type 4 engines, and only eight of these vibration dampeners in the kit. Install two per cylinder? Install them where, bottom of cylinder, top of the heads? I'm confused.
BeatNavy
Are there eight in the kit or six? They go on the long through case bolts, not the head studs:

Click to view attachment
TheCabinetmaker
6 vibration dampers on case thru bolts. Have never seen windage tray rubbers in any of the 3 dozen kits I've used.
Mark Henry
I've been using VR kits since the early 90's, nothing has changed.
RMS, nose seal or windage tray seals not included.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.