Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hmmm boxter conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
crash914
Since I am building another hot type 4 motor, I had a thought about installing it into a boxter.

Has anyone tried this?

Full disclosure, boxter has a blown engine and I will have a fresh 4...
Chi-town
It would be horribly under powered.

The boxster weighs almost 1000lbs more than a 914
crash914
not really serious about this...just saw an ad for a very cheap boxter..
Steve
QUOTE(crash914 @ Feb 5 2020, 08:09 AM) *

I would install a subi motor or LS in that Boxster. Renegade sells kits to do this.
Chris H.
^^^^This!
mepstein
QUOTE(Steve @ Feb 5 2020, 11:22 AM) *

QUOTE(crash914 @ Feb 5 2020, 08:09 AM) *

I would install a subi motor or LS in that Boxster. Renegade sells kits to do this.

You would certainly surprise some 911's with a built LS engine in a Boxster.
Mark Henry
LS engine is little hard to shoehorn into a boxster, even a 996 is sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif smash.gif
If doing an LS I'd start with a 996.

Still not cheap and easy, the renegade kit alone will run you $7-9K IIRC.
A guy on YT did it for $17K paying a guy $45/hr, used engine, etc. I'd say DIY about $12-13K is the cheapest the project will cost you, still it's way cheaper than a $25K- $40K for a new MY96 engine.

A boxster would be still a loser for resale, a 996 might be break even.
crash914
It sounds like even finding a way to repair the existing engine is not going to be cost effective...as resale value would be low anyway.

where is motor meister when you need them!

Mark, you don't have a stroker crank hanging around do you?
Mark Henry
Yes, an 80mm but it's spoken for, the wife's 914 biggrin.gif

cheapest way to fix a 996 or boxster engine is with a factory shortblock exchange, but then you still have to do the rest of the engine.

The 996/boxter flywheel you have to replace, the rubber center goes and causes misfire codes, add a clutch kit and there's a couple grand. Same with the coil packs, around $500 not replacing them is false economy.
Big issue is making sure the rads are clean, you have to take the front bumper cover off to see all the crap behind the AC condenser. I just replaced the rads in a 4S with a pair of CSF rads, beautiful units.
AOS, water pump, T-stat, starter Y cable...Nothing is cheap, the price creep is large with these cars. Just did a 4S, $5k quote for IMS, by the time all the "while you're in there" stuff was done $15K easy.
flmont
why would it be so expensive to put a subaru 4 cylinder turbo in a boxster is it a engine to tranny mating issue or a ECU/wiring issue.?
Chris H.
If you can fab the one-off stuff you need like the motor mount it wouldn't be too expensive. You can use the stock ECU, or there are many other reasonably priced options. Kennedy could make the engine-trans adapter plate.
Andyrew
The Audi motors bolt into the boxster trans FYI...

I want to get a boxster and start playing around smile.gif
Chris H.
DO IT! Old Boxsters are SO CHEAP, especially ones with engine issues.
914forme
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Feb 5 2020, 05:27 PM) *

agree.gif

I'm looking for a Cayman S wub.gif

a Cayman really needs a W8 or W12 in its mid section.
914_teener
Value of a "hot".....whatever that means.... Type 4

10k.

Value of a used running 986....6-7k.

Yes....that.s crack pipe time.
jpnovak
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Feb 5 2020, 04:27 PM) *

I have always wanted to adapt the Audi 4.2 Motronic to a Boxster. That should be almost the hardest part getting the 2 extra injectors to play nice.

I think this is a perfect match.

I still don't know why the RH LS kit is so expensive.
crash914
My hot 4 is around 15k..good thing I can use lots of my parts. Rebuild cost is only around 3k.
914forme
QUOTE(jpnovak @ Feb 5 2020, 07:36 PM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Feb 5 2020, 04:27 PM) *

I have always wanted to adapt the Audi 4.2 Motronic to a Boxster. That should be almost the hardest part getting the 2 extra injectors to play nice.

I think this is a perfect match.

I still don't know why the RH LS kit is so expensive.

Because they spent the time and engineering to produce at least part of the kit. Even if you source the bell housing pressure plate else where it was a 2K item. For such low production numbers the kit does not seem outlandish to me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.