Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lost key - steering lock
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mepstein
Is there any way to release the steering lock if I can’t find the key? It’s a ‘74.
sixnotfour
Grab a bunch of keys from work,,,,I got lucky a few times doing the jiggly wiggly..
rhodyguy
Call a mobile locksmith. Ask if they can read the tumbler with a soft blank key. IMPORTANT! Or the wheel off, take the stalk assems out and the tumbler to a locksmith to read it. It took the locksmith less than 30 minutes to cut me 2 keys that worked perfectly for the 73'. What's your time and hassle factor worth?
dlee6204
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 5 2020, 02:23 PM) *

Grab a bunch of keys from work,,,,I got lucky a few times doing the jiggly wiggly..

agree.gif Try another 914 key. I've had that work for me before.
rgalla9146
Do you know if the key worked any of the other locks on the car ?
Bring one of those assemblies to a locksmith.
ClayPerrine
Take all the lock cylinders off the car. Take them to a locksmith and have him rekey them all the same. Then have him cut a new steel key from the ignition lock. Get a second steel key cut on one side only. The one sided key won't work in the locks, but it will work to cut new keys, and it will never wear out. So you always have a key template to cut keys.

mepstein
I found a total of 18 extra keys and the very last one I tried worked the ignition. It was from a parts car I had cut up but luckily it works.
rhodyguy
Nice. Make copies.
mepstein
Tomorrow it gets put on a trailer and delivered to Scott Amerson in OH for some Suby love.
bretth
Wow 1 out of 18 keys fit? That seems like such a relatively low number of different key combinations Porsche made for the 914.
mepstein
Each wafer has four sizes and there are 10 wafers in a lock core. I got lucky.
sb914
At Wcr in San Simeon @StratPlayer lost his keys,about 20 of us tried our keys none worked. He later found them. smoke.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.