Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exhaust manifold gasket
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
HansJan
Car didn’t pass inspection because of an exhaust leak.
So... Just ordered some manifold gaskets from Pelican Parts.
Question is.
Is this copper soft out of the box, or does it need to be annealed before install?

Thanks for sharing your experiences.
PlaysWithCars
I've never had to do any prep to the gaskets. Just put them in. Check the head surface to make sure its clean doesn't have any erosion, and you can run a flat file over the ends of the exhaust to make sure they're flat before bolting them up.
Mikey914
I do and haven’t had an issue.
Wyvern
Perhaps not ... but it sure would never hurt.
The gaskets are press stamped from cold rolled copper.
As mentioned put a long file along the mating surfaces so that the 2 ports are level and flush.
Use a torch and get them red hot. The difference is significant.
brant
I’ve had brand new ones leak

With annealing I’ve never had a leak
Make sure you run a fine on the mounting face before installing
dr914@autoatlanta.com
install as is just make sure that the top of the heat exchanger flanges are perfectly smooth, dress them together at the same time with a flat file. You can put them up there with a bit of copper paste to hold them in and then torque in an x pattern mating one heat exchanger at a time. Make sure that the muffler bracket is firmly attached

QUOTE(HansJan @ Feb 7 2020, 11:08 PM) *

Car didn’t pass inspection because of an exhaust leak.
So... Just ordered some manifold gaskets from Pelican Parts.
Question is.
Is this copper soft out of the box, or does it need to be annealed before install?

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Olympic 914
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Feb 8 2020, 10:53 AM) *

install as is just make sure that the top of the heat exchanger flanges are perfectly smooth, dress them together at the same time with a flat file. You can put them up there with a bit of copper paste to hold them in and then torque in an x pattern mating one heat exchanger at a time. Make sure that the muffler bracket is firmly attached

Different technique, I prefer to attach the muffler bracket finger tight. then tighten the HEs to the head. this allows the other end of the HE to find its own place with the muffler and muffler bracket.

JMHO.
HansJan
Sorry. There are no HE’s, just some pipes.
But will anneal the gaskets when they come in.

Thanks y’all
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
HansJan
Did anneal the gaskets.
It makes a huge difference. Not sure why not everyone is doing this.

After fixing the leak on the driver side a leak appeared on the passenger side.
To find out that the threats were stripped. In one spot the PO had installed an Allenbolt instead of the stud. This bolt engaged no more then 1/4”.
A Helicoil tool is on order to correct this problem.

Question: can I expect this Helicoil to take the torque needed to seal the exhaust manifold? Just asking because the Helicoils are not as long as the original threaded hole.

Lots of threads here showing people doing this repair, just didn’t find the confirmation that it’s strong enough.
TheCabinetmaker
Helicoil won't hold. You need a timecert. Install once and done.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(TheCabinetmaker @ Feb 14 2020, 09:52 AM) *

Helicoil won't hold. You need a timecert. Install once and done.

agree.gif I use timeserts for M8 and up, I only use helicoils for M6.

There used to be M8/M9 step studs but are hard to find now, even though they're standard equipment on new AMC heads.
GregAmy
Such an asy question...and dueling opinions.

I came here to get this same question answered. And I'm leaving even more confused.

Manifolds are planed flat so maybe that'll cover it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.