Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shifter adjustment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Daryl32
I am reassembling the car and having trouble with the rotational placement of stick coupler to the interior shift rod.

To get a wrench on the bolt that tightens coupler to rod it needs to be in 2nd or 3rd, not sure how much to push stick to the side while tightening it.

Sorry for the poor wording - not sure how to word what I am thinking.

And from all I have researched this is not a stock 914 stick shift shifter.

This is what I am working with, thanks for your help.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Daryl32
I should add that I have tried doing it about 5 times or so and the shifting always seems hard going into 2nd gear. Reverse is even worse - it feels like the coupler is hitting things under the shifter.

This is a 350 chevy conversion car so their is no 1st gear in tranny.
injunmort
take the coupling off the shift rod and attach to shifter, tighten bolt. make sure trans is in neutral. remove the door on the tunnel back by firewall. bolt shifter into floor. hold the rod up thru the rear door and slide into the coupling loosely. re install bolt thru coupling but don't tighten yet. slide shifter side to side until you feel neutral on the 4th-5th gear gate. take bungee cord from shifter to passenger handle to keep it there. go to back of car on trans and rotate linkage rod clockwise as far as you can, then tighten bolt on shifter coupling under shifter. that should do it. that looks like a stock shifter to me.
Daryl32
QUOTE(injunmort @ Feb 8 2020, 09:13 AM) *

take the coupling off the shift rod and attach to shifter, tighten bolt. make sure trans is in neutral. remove the door on the tunnel back by firewall. bolt shifter into floor. hold the rod up thru the rear door and slide into the coupling loosely. re install bolt thru coupling but don't tighten yet. slide shifter side to side until you feel neutral on the 4th-5th gear gate. take bungee cord from shifter to passenger handle to keep it there. go to back of car on trans and rotate linkage rod clockwise as far as you can, then tighten bolt on shifter coupling under shifter. that should do it. that looks like a stock shifter to me.

Thank you I will do this.

Do I need to close my left eye and slide my tongue out the right side of my mouth too? lol-2.gif
Daryl32
QUOTE(injunmort @ Feb 8 2020, 09:13 AM) *

Thank you I will do this.

Do I need to close my left eye and slide my tongue out the right side of my mouth too? lol-2.gif

When looking on line for pictures/help, the ones with the ball and plastic cups on the ends of the shifter always came up.
injunmort
different linkage, those are tailshifters, yours is a sideshifter, much easier to adjust.
76-914
Daryl, if this is on that V8 conversion you'll need to customized the shift rod. You can come down here and look at mine but you'll need to do it soon as it is going north very soon. Kent beerchug.gif
Daryl32
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 8 2020, 09:42 AM) *

Daryl, if this is on that V8 conversion you'll need to customized the shift rod. You can come down here and look at mine but you'll need to do it soon as it is going north very soon. Kent beerchug.gif

Thanks Kent - the rod is bent - and bent it fits. But I think It should have a better one made for it in the future.

I had to add/adjust the bends some yesterday to go around the new 7qt oilpan.

Did not take any pictures of it, was getting late and cooling off outside so got it on and cleaned up and came in.

Thanks.
Daryl32
QUOTE(injunmort @ Feb 8 2020, 09:36 AM) *

different linkage, those are tailshifters, yours is a sideshifter, much easier to adjust.

thank you.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
for this short shifter there also needs to be a spacer plate for it to work
rhodyguy
The F/R detent plate looks like garbage. Perhaps I'm just seeing grime. The springs are loaded with crap. Is there a wear spot on the lever where it contacts the plate? These items can compromise how the shift lever assem functions. Clean the parts before you reinstall them.
DickSteinkamp
The stock rod has to be lengthened by 1.25" if you are using the Renegade spacers that locate the engine/trans rearward by that amount. If the PO did that, but then you added some bends to the rod it may not be the right length now.

Also, I hope you are mistaken and still have a first gear. I always get the car rolling in 1st. Just because you have a first, doesn't mean you have to accelerate hard in it. It is also good for putting the car on a trailer or even creeping up a hill into the garage or driveway.
Daryl32
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 8 2020, 12:10 PM) *

The F/R detent plate looks like garbage. Perhaps I'm just seeing grime. The springs are loaded with crap. Is there a wear spot on the lever where it contacts the plate? These items can compromise how the shift lever assem functions. Clean the parts before you reinstall them.

Ok just wanted to get something installed . . . . piratenanner.gif

The inner secondary plate has a large half moon wear in it. I will tell the owner about it, he can have his shop mechanic work on it.

My hours are adding up so I need to leave somethings to be done at a later date if possible.

Daryl32
QUOTE(DickSteinkamp @ Feb 8 2020, 12:41 PM) *

The stock rod has to be lengthened by 1.25" if you are using the Renegade spacers that locate the engine/trans rearward by that amount. If the PO did that, but then you added some bends to the rod it may not be the right length now.

Also, I hope you are mistaken and still have a first gear. I always get the car rolling in 1st. Just because you have a first, doesn't mean you have to accelerate hard in it. It is also good for putting the car on a trailer or even creeping up a hill into the garage or driveway.

the secondary rod around the engine is lengthened and bent. I just had to tweak it a little and straighten it some. When the rod was bent the operator of the bender did not keep the rod level moving from bend to bend/ So all the bends were compound - bar not on a flat plane between the bends.

First gear was removed - which the Porsche shop by me that resealed the tranny said is common for V8 conversions.

These 914 conversions are new to me so I am still learning - how be it at a very fast pace! headbang.gif
Daryl32
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Feb 8 2020, 10:59 AM) *

There is an aluminum spacer plate that is about 3/8" thick, thinking that adding to it may move it away from hitting the steel tube to the left side of it?
rhodyguy
Tell the owner he needs to buy a different lever assem. More like this.Click to view attachment
Daryl32
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 8 2020, 04:19 PM) *

Tell the owner he needs to buy a different lever assem.

Suggestions?

The cable ones look promising - but pretty pricey.
rgalla9146
The shift lever is shortened a lot. Effort will be heavy.
There's a short shifter plate on the tunnel, are you using the parts that go with it ?
Daryl32
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Feb 8 2020, 05:05 PM) *

The shift lever is shortened a lot. Effort will be heavy.
There's a short shifter plate on the tunnel, are you using the parts that go with it ?

No idea what goes with it? blink.gif

Just putting it back together the way it came apart for now.
Daryl32
On a SLIDE note.

I need a day at the track or auto-x course..... beerchug.gif

And I know it is not a 914 or even a Porsche, but it is all mine! piratenanner.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

ndfrigi
looks like you have the after market short shifter. You might want to just try the stock shifter.

old thread regarding short shifter.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...06379&st=20
Daryl32
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Feb 8 2020, 06:01 PM) *

looks like you have the after market short shifter. You might want to just try the stock shifter.

old thread regarding short shifter.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...06379&st=20

Thanks will do.
Daryl32
So got somethings done so I had time to remove the shifter and disassemble it.

The shaft of the shifter where it pushing against the reverse spring load plate is warn.

So when buying a used piece - will they all be like this?

This is a short shifter - their these shifter's shafts softer?

Thanks.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
914werke
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Feb 8 2020, 10:59 AM) *

You beat me too it & I would word it more like "work correctly"
I wouldnt worry too much about the wear on the shaft but the Nylon bush is shot.
You need one of these:
Click to view attachment
Daryl32
We have a spacer plate.

Issue we are having is it is hard to get into 2nd always seems to go into reverse.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.