Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stock steering wheel installation questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DRPHIL914
So I had a aftermarket wheel on my car when I bought it 12 years ago, and about 1-2 years into my ownership I scored an Ebay deal $50 for a very nice wood wheel that is now in the car. I have been looking for a nice original wheel for a long time and recently was able to acquire one. So as I look at the OEM one it looks like I am missing the horn button, a canceling ring possibly too. not sure what else, a spring maybe? if anyone has pictures it would be helpful.

What I currently have is the Nardi wood one that is attached to the stock column. it is metal, about 3" long, and then the wheel screws to that and the rubber center cover goes over it and the wire pulls thru and is clipped to the center hole button.

My new OEM ones has a very nice center horn part, and I did read about the counter clockwise turn to remove that. it looks like it will slide onto the spined shaft once I take the spacer/mount off that is on there now, and just bolt on the stock wheel?

I guess I need to know in what order the parts go back on. Where does the canceling ring etc go ?

I pulled up one factory diagram and that kind of gives me an idea, and SMC has the rebuild kits with a horn button, spring, and rubber center piece that goes in there. but I have not seen all this assembled, so some guidance is requested.

Thanks.

Phil
DRPHIL914
Here is a few pictures, old new-old etc and the rebuild kit for horn.

And the part diagram, and the rebuild kit parts from URO.
mepstein
No spring or horn plunger on a mid or late car. You use a plastic hub with a plastic signal cancel ring that also has the wire for the horn to connect with the steering wheel bat wing. You do need the black rubber cone. You also want to make sure the bat wing has the correct metal bracket with a little tab to connect the horn wire. Early does not, mid and late do.
@DRPHIL914
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 12 2020, 01:53 PM) *

No spring or horn plunger on a mid or late car. You use a plastic hub with a plastic signal cancel ring that also has the wire for the horn to connect with the steering wheel bat wing. You do need the black rubber cone. You also want to make sure the bat wing has the correct metal bracket with a little tab to connect the horn wire. Early does not, mid and late do.
@DRPHIL914

do you hve a picture of the back side of the metal ring that has the tab for the wire to connect to?
DRPHIL914
This? Ok
mepstein
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Feb 12 2020, 02:03 PM) *

This? Ok

Yes. I have an extra plastic hub if you need one.
I don’t have a pic of the back of the batwing. Show a pic of yours when you get a chance and we can see if it’s the right one.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 12 2020, 02:17 PM) *

This? Ok

I don’t have a pic of the back of the batwing. Show a pic of yours when you get a chance and we can see if it’s the right one.

Ok will do
rhodyguy
That wheel will look good in the car.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 12 2020, 03:46 PM) *

That wheel will look good in the car.

I like my wood wheel, but I agree, and it’s larger and it makes seeing gauges much easier too. The indents from being wrapped I don’t mind, and eventually I can have it rewrapped, but it’s just fine . Trying to get it put in for Werks reunion judging in 3 weeks.
mepstein
I wonder if the wrap marks would steam out.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 12 2020, 04:07 PM) *

I wonder if the wrap marks would steam out.

They might, leather is very firm but in excellent condition, no rot etc.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Feb 12 2020, 02:46 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 12 2020, 02:17 PM) *

This? Ok

Ok will do

Here are pictures of the back inside of the horn part. And the steering wheel from front and rear, and the spacer with current steering wheel
@mepstein
DRPHIL914
Also the 2 end tabs of the spring thing look bent, does this matter or should I source a new center piece?
mepstein
So good news. You have the correct hub and batwing with tab. It looks a little boogered up but the tab is just a connection to ground the brown wire on the turn signal cancel ring that you need. You can bolt on the wheel now but it won't self cancel or work the horn until you install that part. Oh, and the black rubber cone. It acts as a rubber spacer on the back of the batwing.

PS - I'm a fan of the stock 914 wheel. Porsche liked it so much, they used it on the 911RS and 911RSR

@DRPHIL914
FlacaProductions
Looks like you may need this as your horn wire tab is broken off.
You MAY be able to rig something in there but this would do the trick. Can't find it from any other vendors.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-steeri...in/332917558050
mepstein
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Feb 12 2020, 06:56 PM) *

You MAY be able to rig something in there but this would do the trick. Can't find it from any other vendors.

Phillip - I can dig up one for free if you need it. Won't be until the weekend.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 12 2020, 07:04 PM) *

That would be great!
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 12 2020, 07:04 PM) *

@mepstein
If you have both those in good shape let me know, b cause the smaller ring that has the spring part in it is not in good shape either. I did order the other 2 parts, the runner part and the cancel ring with wire that attaches to the back side of the wheel. I do have my eye on a batwing with both parts that are in good condition on eBay, if I get it for cheap, you can hold off. The ebay one has those 2 parts, in good shape, right now $15 and free shipping.
rhodyguy
Mark Heard had found the little white plastic washers that are part of the assem. I was looking for the ones I bought after reading this thread. Isolate the ring from the metal body?
mepstein
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 13 2020, 12:26 PM) *

Mark Heard had found the little white plastic washers that are part of the assem. I was looking for the ones I bought after reading this thread. Isolate the ring from the metal body?

I have plenty of the fiber washers. I’ll throw some in with the metal disk.
DRPHIL914

this is one thing on my car I had not delved into before so its all new to me. Like I said, I just had an aftermarket on there when I got the car. and there is differenced from year to year with the horn button, no horn button, canceling ring design etc. I took mine apart last night and took few pictures but looks like the ones I found on line etc look like the metal spring band in the middle should not be broken like mine is, but I have not found anyone making that middle part, just the ring under it.

URO and OEM center rubber spacer are available and AA has the late cancel in the horn batwing. Several suppliers have the backside ring with the ground wire.

now on the small washers, I don't have the plastic washers on this steering wheel, it looks like a paper material.
once I get the other one I will take it apart to compare it.
will work on this more once the replacement parts etc come in.
the other thing i'd like to do is get a new wiper and signal stalk/ring assembly. Hard to find and expensive if they do it seems, Mark has had a few but have not been able to spend that$$ on that part always stuff I have to do that seem more pressing.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 13 2020, 12:51 PM) *

I have plenty of the fiber washers. I’ll throw some in with the metal disk.

thanks!
rhodyguy
Inadvertent horn blasts always result in a 1 finger salute.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.