Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Finally bought my own 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
911GT2
So, I've been a member here since 2011. I've been interested in 914's for longer than that. But to be honest my focus was always in the 356, 912 and 911.

After I sold my 944S2 I went on the hunt for a good 912. Which I did find, and bought... so I thought. We had a gentleman's agreement. Shook the guys hand and planned to pick the car up a week later. Day on forehand the owner started to act weird. Long story short, I didn't buy the 912.

Actually after numerous 'failures' in buying an air-cooled Porsche I got fed up with the entire Porsche scene. I had cash burning in my pocket and so I bought a VW bug instead. And another one. And a 69 westy camper...
One of the bugs ended out as a buggy project the other got sold.

So after just recently selling my buggy I finally bit the bullet and bought my first 914. cheer.gif Finally! The '69 westy stays in the fleet though. That's for weekends with the family.
Click to view attachment

So I bought a '74 1.8. I know the 2.0's are more desirable but for me it's not about the resell value it's about the driving experience. And on paper at least I think the 15 BHP difference for me is not where's it at. And besides, the 2.0 in good state just wasn't within budget.

That brings me to my plans. I'm trying to make it a focussed weekend driver. So I'm planning on new/ better shocks, maybe bigger sway bars, sticky tires, upgraded discs all without losing the stock look.

It's going to take some time the find the proper parts... but since the car is still currently in L.A. at a dealer and I'm located in The Netherlands I still have some time on my hands.

Click to view attachment

Update here
Spoke
welcome.png

Looks like a beautiful car. Good luck with it.

About the 1.8L <> 2.0L difference, those 15HP do make a difference although the 1.8L is still a fun car.
Coondog
Bought from Beverly Hills Car Club !!! Hope you did your homework...... popcorn[1].gif
stevegm
Congratulations! I really like the saddle interiors.
911GT2
QUOTE(Coondog @ Feb 13 2020, 03:23 AM) *

Bought from Beverly Hills Car Club !!! Hope you did your homework...... popcorn[1].gif

Well I'm buying from abroad. So I must go on what I can find online. They seemed ok. They did help me getting all the information on the car, and I've got a feeling they presented the car in a fair way. I won't know for sure until I see the car live. But for the costs of flying over there inspecting and flying back there can still be some issues an I still come out on top.

914's in europe are more scarce and usually in the same or worse condition only thing is the price is a lot higher.

Also private sellers are a bit more reluctant to help with overseas shipping.

Until now they didn't put a foot wrong though. So for me it has been a pleasant experience.
mepstein
welcome.png
dax1969
Welcome !

I am located in Belgium and you should have put a "want to buy" add in the classified section. Plenty good guys here but you need to take your time.

I really hope your new car is presented correct by the BHCC cause they have a bad reputation (see also the thread and the pictures of the green one !). Hope they have sent you pics of the hellhole and the longs.

if you need advise on shipping/importing just let me know

fyi : I have a 74 out of Florida on the way to Belgium. I only buy fm longtime, reputable 914 world members. I learned the hard way by buying sight unseen fm ebay years ago.

Good luck

Tot wederhoren en zeker lid worden van de 914 club holland

groeten

Dax

jrblackbox
Sweet looking teener!
911GT2
Thanks for the welcome guys.

Yes maybe I made a mistake buying from BHCC, I won't know until I get the car. Like I said it was represented to me on a reasonable matter. Far better then any seller so far. So I made a choice based upon that.

I can't change that now. If it's really bad, that a life lesson learned. And they always come at a price. Right now, I'm hoping for the best though.
dax1969
QUOTE(911GT2 @ Feb 13 2020, 02:37 PM) *

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Yes maybe I made a mistake buying from BHCC, I won't know until I get the car. Like I said it was represented to me on a reasonable matter. Far better then any seller so far. So I made a choice based upon that.

I can't change that now. If it's really bad, that a life lesson learned. And they always come at a price. Right now, I'm hoping for the best though.

Relax and indeed wait until the car arrives. I didn't say you made a mistake... if it all feels right for you then you should not worry. I guess you know how to work on cars so keeping this one on the road is a good thing ! If you want we can stay in contact cause finding parts for these cars is sometimes a bit challenging in Europe. Most of the good stuff is in the USA but importing can be expensive (bloody customs and taxes).

Keep us posted and once again, welcome here... you can learn a lot from this platform. Mindblowing knowledge here !

bye
Dax

Big Len
She's a beauty. Best of luck !!
Chris H.
As long as it's not rusty you'll be fine. Looks almost exactly like the car I had in college. '74 Sunflower Yellow 1.8 with carbs and a matching cam. Still my favorite of all my 914s.
Steve
If you have all the pictures, post them here for honest feedback. Lots of threads on BHCC, but I don't remember seeing one on this car. Naturally people post the crappy one's for entertainment.
Mueller
Congrats, nice looking car.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
What a car! Perfect color perfect wheels and I LOVE the limited edition spoiler

QUOTE(911GT2 @ Feb 13 2020, 03:16 AM) *

So, I've been a member here since 2011. I've been interested in 914's for longer than that. But to be honest my focus was always in the 356, 912 and 911.

After I sold my 944S2 I went on the hunt for a good 912. Which I did find, and bought... so I thought. We had a gentleman's agreement. Shook the guys hand and planned to pick the car up a week later. Day on forehand the owner started to act weird. Long story short, I didn't buy the 912.

Actually after numerous 'failures' in buying an air-cooled Porsche I got fed up with the entire Porsche scene. I had cash burning in my pocket and so I bought a VW bug instead. And another one. And a 69 westy camper...
One of the bugs ended out as a buggy project the other got sold.

So after just recently selling my buggy I finally bit the bullet and bought my first 914. cheer.gif Finally! The '69 westy stays in the fleet though. That's for weekends with the family.
Click to view attachment

So I bought a '74 1.8. I know the 2.0's are more desirable but for me it's not about the resell value it's about the driving experience. And on paper at least I think the 15 BHP difference for me is not where's it at. And besides, the 2.0 in good state just wasn't within budget.

That brings me to my plans. I'm trying to make it a focussed weekend driver. So I'm planning on new/ better shocks, maybe bigger sway bars, sticky tires, upgraded discs all without losing the stock look.

It's going to take some time the find the proper parts... but since the car is still currently in L.A. at a dealer and I'm located in The Netherlands I still have some time on my hands.

kroelofsen
welcome.png
Nice color... I have a 1.8 and currently restoring it... Have fun!
Cairo94507
welcome.png Hey don't worry they can all be fixed when needed. Great color and year. Now the madness begins as you begin to modify and make it your own.
AZBanks
Congratulations and welcome to the madness.
76-914
welcome.png
911GT2
QUOTE(Steve @ Feb 13 2020, 07:09 AM) *

If you have all the pictures, post them here for honest feedback. Lots of threads on BHCC, but I don't remember seeing one on this car. Naturally people post the crappy one's for entertainment.

Most can be found here: https://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/1974-po...914-c-10551.htm
Coondog
Lots of rust my friend, good luck.
dt4
beige / brown interior - nice
I imported a car last year also but in my case I bought from a member of the club so had the easiest experience possible.

well done for finding the car, do you have more pictures, especially of the interior?

DRPHIL914
hey I just wanted to say that this isn't too bad from what we can see, I don't see under the rockers or full hell hole pictures but it could be way worse! I had way more floor pan and long rust than that and my hell hole was solid. But I still spent about $15,000 all told on all the rust repair, body work and repaint etc. but I only pain $2500 for my car. This will be a nice car and if you can and it runs, as long as brakes are good and body is safe, then drive it and enjoy it for a bit and then get working on some other stuff. Just realize it will be a project. Have fun, enjoy it, you have some people in your area that can direct you to trustworthy body and mechanics. Welcome and keep posting pictures etc of your project once you get the car let us know!!

welcome.png
911GT2
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Feb 13 2020, 10:26 AM) *

hey I just wanted to say that this isn't too bad from what we can see, I don't see under the rockers or full hell hole pictures but it could be way worse! I had way more floor pan and long rust than that and my hell hole was solid. But I still spent about $15,000 all told on all the rust repair, body work and repaint etc. but I only pain $2500 for my car. This will be a nice car and if you can and it runs, as long as brakes are good and body is safe, then drive it and enjoy it for a bit and then get working on some other stuff. Just realize it will be a project. Have fun, enjoy it, you have some people in your area that can direct you to trustworthy body and mechanics. Welcome and keep posting pictures etc of your project once you get the car let us know!!

welcome.png

That is exactly my plan.

I buy these cars to enjoy and drive them. My Westy is a driver to.

Not perfect, but good enough to have fun. And in time some repairs come. That's within expectations.

This is the westy.
Click to view attachment
914forme
I'm going to say enjoy the car. You are going into it with the right attitude, congratulations.

Since you are shipping and if you could, have someone do a post purchase inspection, and get all the parts you might need placed in all the open spaces that car has before going in the container to be shipped over.
PanelBilly
Hello from the Pacific Northwest
Spoke
Nice Westy. What kind of wheels are on it?
914forme
ATS cookie cutters
jagalyn
Best wishes with your new car... enjoy.
bkrantz
Just keep thinking positive. Anything is repairable with enough enthusiasm (and time and money).
Porschef
Just curious, did you consider asking for a PPI here? Many folks are willing to help out.

Hope all works out well for you.
911GT2
QUOTE(Porschef @ Feb 15 2020, 10:33 AM) *

Just curious, did you consider asking for a PPI here? Many folks are willing to help out.

Hope all works out well for you.

Sadly I have not. I couldn't have imagined someone would do that.

I'm amazed at the 914 spirit.

Well buying the 914 is water under the bridge, can't change that now. Let's hope for the best. If not, my mother always told me, "it's only money and that can be replaced".
911GT2
I'm still waiting on the title to be changed.

Since the car was on a New York title there is a problem to export the car. A new law prevents NY cars to be exported.

But the proces of changing the title seems to take forever? Is the California DMV so slow? It's been over two weeks? I don't know what is normal for this process.
Coondog
Someone correct me if I am wrong but doesn’t the Calif DMV, CHP or AAA have to confirm VIN numbers to register a out of state car.

If so that process is fairly simple, the RED flag for me would be that the Beverly Hills people never changed the title on the car from NY to Calif.

Question....Where is your car right now ???

ValcoOscar
QUOTE(Coondog @ Mar 6 2020, 01:50 AM) *

Someone correct me if I am wrong but doesn’t the Calif DMV, CHP or AAA have to confirm VIN numbers to register a out of state car.

If so that process is fairly simple, the RED flag for me would be that the Beverly Hills people never changed the title on the car from NY to Calif.

agree.gif NO California title without VIN verification.

confused24.gif

I see a potential problem if car is already shipped. busted_cop.gif

Oscar

Porschef
popcorn[1].gif

This should be interesting, maybe not in a good way. It is a political issue, I believe NY has begun issuing licenses without certain IDs and that’s rubbing some folks the wrong way.

Better question as Coondog brought up is the title transfer N.Y. to CA. Seems the whole problem could be avoided by registering the car in California prior to shipping. A minor fee compared to what is looking like a potential fiasco.

Again, I hope it all works out for you.
Tdskip
Personally I’d not worry about the title transfer, will take time but don’t see any real risk there. BHCC is responsible for it, they are a real known business and they aren’t going to screw you on that. Between NY and CA will take a couple months but once a valid title request is submitted to CA it is usually 2 weeks before the new title shows up.

BHCC isn’t going to re-title everything in stock, lots of effort and DMV fees when most buyers don’t need it done.

I’m sure the car is in their warehouse still, guys nothing to worry about or scare @911GT2 over.

And, yes, I’ve bought from them without issue.

911GT2
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Mar 6 2020, 03:55 AM) *

confused24.gif

Oscar

The car is not yet shipped.
QUOTE(Porschef @ Mar 6 2020, 04:24 AM) *

popcorn[1].gif

This should be interesting, maybe not in a good way. It is a political issue, I believe NY has begun issuing licenses without certain IDs and that’s rubbing some folks the wrong way.

Better question as Coondog brought up is the title transfer N.Y. to CA. Seems the whole problem could be avoided by registering the car in California prior to shipping. A minor fee compared to what is looking like a potential fiasco.

That's exactly the proces they are following. So my question is more this: Is the duration of several weeks to be expected, and is it normal?

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Mar 6 2020, 04:55 AM) *

Personally I’d not worry about the title transfer, will take time but don’t see any real risk there. BHCC is responsible for it, they are a real known business and they aren’t going to screw you on that. Between NY and CA will take a couple months but once a valid title request is submitted to CA it is usually 2 weeks before the new title shows up.

BHCC isn’t going to re-title everything in stock, lots of effort and DMV fees when most buyers don’t need it done.

I’m sure the car is in their warehouse still, guys nothing to worry about or scare @911GT2 over.

To be fair I still don't have any issues with BHCC. They brought this issue up themselves. They also promised they would solve it and promised to take care of any additional fees.

So I'm not in it to bash BHCC. 'au contraire' if anything I would like to see for them to prove some people here wrong. I didn't know about the 'stigma' of BHCC before buying from them and like I said before, thus far they haven't done anything to live up to that stigma. So maybe naive, but until proven otherwise I still believe in the good of people.
Porschef
Typically a temporary title is issued until the real one is mailed out. I don’t know if that would qualify for shipping but if so, I’d imagine the permanent title could be mailed to you after the fact.

I’d give them a call and find out how they plan on rectifying the situation.

Good luck beerchug.gif
911GT2
QUOTE(Porschef @ Mar 6 2020, 05:17 AM) *

Typically a temporary title is issued until the real one is mailed out. I don’t know if that would qualify for shipping but if so, I’d imagine the permanent title could be mailed to you after the fact.

Good luck beerchug.gif

Literal quote from the mail from BHCC
Please note we are doing our best to expedite the title.

It is our of our hands and we have already did our best.

Here for classic vehicle’s the department of motor vehicle’s takes there sweet time.

Its not an easy process to get the title changed and all sorted.

Please give us some more time and everything will be good.

We are a licensed and bounded dealership here and we must make sure the car will be able to register and be title’s once its with you so you don’t have any issues.

So I think I will be allright. Seems to me, they are trying their best to make it right. So I will try to be patient.
914forme
agree.gif Just keep on them for updates.

Also ample time to get a Post Buying Inspection done, and get big parts you might need on a list and placed in the car for shipment.

Or if it comes out really bad, you can then move the car to a facility that you trust to do the repairs over a long distance and then get it shipped over. Really only one or two come to mind.

Well three but Canepa might be a bit expensive, and Rod Emory does not work on 914s.

McMark original Customs, and Cary of Middlemotorwerks, both I would trust with my own cars for metal repair.

You have waited 15 years, so what's a few extra months or days.

One of the great things about this forum is loads of people willing to help others get into 914s. PPI offers happen all the time, you just have to ask.

Coondog
So back to my question???
Where is your car at right now ????????

If it’s still at BHMC all they have to do is drive it to the dmv get a vin inspection pay the fees and get a registration title on the spot. A pink slip will take a couple weeks. But they should at least send you the new title which would prove they went to the DMV. Now if they didn’t have a valid NY title in the first place then this could take awhile.

I worry for you my friend because if this hasn’t happened it tells me the car won’t drive to the DMV for the VIN inspection.

Someone needs to drop by BHMC and see if it’s there.
Root_Werks
Great score on a clean looking 914!
911GT2
QUOTE(Coondog @ Mar 6 2020, 07:10 AM) *

If it’s still at BHMC all they have to do is drive it to the dmv get a vin inspection pay the fees and get a registration title on the spot. A pink slip will take a couple weeks. But they should at least send you the new title which would prove they went to the DMV. Now if they didn’t have a valid NY title in the first place then this could take awhile.

I worry for you my friend because if this hasn’t happened it tells me the car won’t drive to the DMV for the VIN inspection.

I think it's still at BHCC. There is no way for me to know for sure.

Also I have several video's of the car running and driving. From inside the car. From outside the car, the car driving by etc etc.
mrholland2
In answer to your question about the California DMV: Yes, it can take an amazingly long amount of time to process the title. Or, it can happen faster than any other state. If you have ever seen any movies or other things with references to miserable, slow, frustrating DMV processes, they are all making fun of the California DMV>

QUOTE(911GT2 @ Mar 6 2020, 05:11 AM) *

QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Mar 6 2020, 03:55 AM) *

confused24.gif

Oscar

The car is not yet shipped.
QUOTE(Porschef @ Mar 6 2020, 04:24 AM) *

popcorn[1].gif

That's exactly the proces they are following. So my question is more this: Is the duration of several weeks to be expected, and is it normal?

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Mar 6 2020, 04:55 AM) *

To be fair I still don't have any issues with BHCC. They brought this issue up themselves. They also promised they would solve it and promised to take care of any additional fees.

So I'm not in it to bash BHCC. 'au contraire' if anything I would like to see for them to prove some people here wrong. I didn't know about the 'stigma' of BHCC before buying from them and like I said before, thus far they haven't done anything to live up to that stigma. So maybe naive, but until proven otherwise I still believe in the good of people.

Tdskip
QUOTE(Porschef @ Mar 6 2020, 07:17 AM) *

Good luck beerchug.gif

California doesn't do this so not applicable unfortunately.
Tdskip
QUOTE(Coondog @ Mar 6 2020, 09:10 AM) *

Respectfully, @Coondog you are speculating especially since the car isn't going to be used by the buyer since there is a large body of water and fair amount of land between him and the car.

BHCC sells a lot of stuff each month, a lot of it never hitting the website, they aren't going to take their time to register a car for no reason.

I've bought from them and know three local classic car dealers that buy/sell from them. I honestly don't see the point in worrying @911GT2 .
burton73
QUOTE(Coondog @ Feb 13 2020, 09:40 AM) *

Lots of rust my friend, good luck.

I hate to be the guy that says this but this is a 914 club and a lot of us know of what we speak.

If you can in anyway unwind this deal with them I would do it. A NY car is prone to super rust if driven in the snow at all.

On looking over the pictures there is a bit of rust going on with this car.
There is rust showing on the driver side front fender right where the water hits the car when it is wet outside. Rear trunk shows rust and the car had been repainted at some point. The door vin sticker is not there? An original paint car is the best even if it is old and faded as you have to see how the paint has aged. I am spoiled being in CA. A person still does not know what is really going on with the car.

I sold 2 great cars to (Danny) Dax in Belgium 1.5 years ago. The 914 was original paint. You can see if there are any body problems with original paint. Paperwork with history of your car is very important. Dax can answer your questions on Belgium and the 914 seen there.

I bought a 73 911s that was originally from NY brought into CA. It had some light rust and this was in 78. It always bothered me.

There are some really nice bodied 914 in CA you just have to hold on and make sure that it is a good car from a good seller. BHCC at least does not try to hide the cars they sell.

This car is at least 130,000 miles if not 230,000 miles. They all have high mileage innless it can be proven like the primo 75 I just bought with every recite from day one. Yea they are hard to find but they do come up. Dax found a super nice car from one of our members and he waited for the right one it will be in his hands very soon.

Bob B

Picture of my stunning paint job 1975 that is 18 years old. On an 18-year-old paint job any problems would show up on paint. I have the recite for all rubber seals and paint work from 18 years ago $7,900.
welcome.png

Also note my 928 44,000 with factory paint job. All paperwork from day one.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
ValcoOscar
I have no skin in this game, but I worry too for our new fellow teener.

No doubt they are a legit business but to @Coondog point.

They are also representing another 914 for sale as only needing cosmetic work.!!

dry.gif

https://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/invento...derby=make,year

Oscar
Tdskip
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Mar 6 2020, 01:30 PM) *

I have no skin in this game, but I worry too for our new fellow teener.

No doubt they are a legit business but to @Coondog point.

They are also representing another 914 for sale as only needing cosmetic work.!!

dry.gif

https://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/invento...derby=make,year

Oscar

@ValcoOscar - fair enough but I was only addressing what I see as nonsense about them stealing his car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.