Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Crack in roll bar pad....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
second wind
Hello out there.....I just replaced my dash pad top and bottom and it is nice to not have to look at the cracks anymore. Now the only crack left is one in the roll bar pad. I hate to replace it for one little crack plus I hear getting the roll bar pad off and on is a real bitch. Anyone know of a product that will fill the crack and not make it even more noticeable? Would love to hear about it. Thank you very much.
gg
ConeDodger
@MATTYLITE @mikey914

Call, 914rubber.com don’t surf the site.
Mikey914
You can fill the cracks. The problem is that with time they will re crack.
second wind
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 13 2020, 01:01 PM) *

You can fill the cracks. The problem is that with time they will re crack.

Fill them with what?
Thanks,
gg
windforfun
Black silicone caulk & then ignore it.
second wind
Ok....thank you very much for your replies. I know of those fixes. I even have some black squisy stuff that is a great sealer. Is there anything better that is a known vinyl patch that looks great and doesn't expand/contract so much that it looks good? Any magical goop that works? I appreciate your effort. Thank you very much.
gg
Mikey914
A silicone is most pliable and probably the easiest. Sanding, filling and re texturing with a plastic filler would be the "best" method, but it will crack again. Only a matter of time.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I normally would say replace it, but with just one crack, and the fact that it is very hard to remove, I would do as suggested, fill in with silicone, very carefully and it will be fine

QUOTE(second wind @ Feb 13 2020, 11:58 PM) *

Ok....thank you very much for your replies. I know of those fixes. I even have some black squisy stuff that is a great sealer. Is there anything better that is a known vinyl patch that looks great and doesn't expand/contract so much that it looks good? Any magical goop that works? I appreciate your effort. Thank you very much.
gg

second wind
Thank you all. That is what I will do and move on to the many other tasks at hand.
All the best,
gg
Ansbacher
Not sure who is telling you that it is hard to remove for replacement. Did mine recently and it was a snap. You should reconsider, as that crack is going to bug you for years to come.

Ansbacher
horizontally-opposed
Is the only replacement for this part the one with the bedliner-like material?
bbrock
There are specialty urethane padded dash fillers (e.g. https://www.amazon.com/Polyvance-2050-9-Pad...r/dp/B0002JKE6Y) I have no experience with them but thought I'd mention it. I believe this filler is intended to be covered with top treatment like vinyl repair or something but am not sure. If you search Youtube, there are examples of it being used. Unfortunately I have yet to find an example of repairing the cracks AND restoring the original texture. All the vids I've found do one or the other, but not both.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.