Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gas tank removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Stuckon914
Trying to remove everything from a 73, I’ve watched videos and read the forum but my gas tank won’t budge. Top is free, am I missing a step, any ideas?
It’s empty, been sitting for 25 years with fuel lines cut.
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(Stuckon914 @ Feb 15 2020, 11:02 AM) *

Trying to remove everything from a 73, I’ve watched videos and read the forum but my gas tank won’t budge. Top is free, am I missing a step, any ideas?
It’s empty, been sitting for 25 years with fuel lines cut.

If it won't move at all then it is probably just stuck to the rubber pieces on both sides. Pull harder.
porschetub
:agree:the bottom has carpet (?) scraps to bed the tank they could be rusted to the tank,this can cause the tank to rust out @ those points...hopefully not.
Stuckon914
Rubber mallet and pull harder, is that the recommendation?
Anyway to get some kind of solvent down there?
iankarr
Does the tank move at all? If not, I agree that it's either stuck to the rubber pieces or to the frame of the car. I'd take off the belly pan under the car and look up into the inspection hole on the right side. Make sure the lines are cut just after the pipes leaving/entering the fuel tank. You should also be able to see if the tank is rusted to the frame.
Stuckon914
No movement at all, I might as well try to pull front end of car up. Will try from the bottom
sb914
@stuckon914 your tank is really stuck on your 914 poke.gif . Seriously though is it sitting uneven? if so lift from the low side it could be wedged “stuck”’
Stuckon914
QUOTE(Stuckon914 @ Feb 13 2020, 09:16 PM) *

Owner asked that I remove my post and pix.

Finally got it to move, sprayed a lot of PB down the sides and let it sit.
Looks like there is some kind of sealant/caulk used between one side of tank and strips of foam/carpet.
Scrapes off very easily. Odd
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.